Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Told sudden permanent 15 mile loss of range is "normal"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although one night is not much of a data point, I dialed down the charge amps last night to 20 amps from 40. As a result I woke up to 296km range, up from 291. That is fairly significant for only one night and seems consistant with the battery balance you guys have educated me on. I'll dial it down some more and keep it low and hopefully soon I'll be back up to 305km or more. Thanks again guys.

Battery balancing does seem to be something Tesla should be more active in educating owners on, eh?

Although one night is not much of a data point, I dialed down the charge amps last night to 20 amps from 40. As a result I woke up to 296km range, up from 291. That is fairly significant for only one night and seems consistant with the battery balance you guys have educated me on. I'll dial it down some more and keep it low and hopefully soon I'll be back up to 305km or more. Thanks again guys.

Battery balancing does seem to be something Tesla should be more active in educating owners on, eh?

I'm stuck at 298km, not more these days. But with V4.5 it might be normal to be lower since the % of charge for a standard charge is 90% vs 91-92% with V4.4. Do you have V4.5?

I'm actually back up to 238 from 235 from just 2 days (approx 520 miles of charge, 100->235, 100->235, 100->237, 100->238) of dialing down my charge rate to 19/20 amps from 40. That's not enough to know for sure if this "theory" works yet. I'll keep doing this for a few weeks. If I get it back up to 245 then I think we know for sure that this battery rebalancing idea is sound.

More questions I think none of us has answers to:

Is it just the amperage or total power?
Is it better to use a 110 outlet or use the 14-50 and dial down amps?
And does it need to be a max range charge like what they used to recommend for the roadsters?

Don't forget that charging at a lower rate means you finish charging later which means if you go and check the car at the same time in the morning, it's not been sitting around suffering from vampire loss as long. These numbers you're observing may simply be the result of that.

Don't forget that charging at a lower rate means you finish charging later which means if you go and check the car at the same time in the morning, it's not been sitting around suffering from vampire loss as long. These numbers you're observing may simply be the result of that.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned early on that I only use numbers I get at the exact time charging is complete.

EDIT: Just checked. Mentioned it a few times.

It sounds like most standard charges are about 240 miles. My car is less than a week old and that is what I get as well. I've been out of town for 3 days now and noticing a 5-7mi loss of range each night (it is 75 degrees in my garage right now). I will track it for the next 3 days, but is this a consistent, recurring loss? It won't happen that often, but important to know if you are at the airport or on a trip without a charge that you need to factor this in to the return.

It sounds like most standard charges are about 240 miles. My car is less than a week old and that is what I get as well. I've been out of town for 3 days now and noticing a 5-7mi loss of range each night (it is 75 degrees in my garage right now). I will track it for the next 3 days, but is this a consistent, recurring loss? It won't happen that often, but important to know if you are at the airport or on a trip without a charge that you need to factor this in to the return.

Discussed ad nauseum on this site. Refer to the vampire drain thread in this section on the site.

Long story short:

1) Leave your car plugged in when parked in your garage and off on a business trip. The battery will top off each night.

2) Tesla's working on a sleep mode that will greatly reduce the daily power loss. Due in a software update within a few months.

After a week of charging at a combination of 110v 12 amps and 240v 15 amps I am convinced that my sudden drop of waking up to a range from 305Km to 292km is not battery imbalance. It really hasn't balanced out. Any increase is simply from less vampire loss due to a longer charge. There must be something else going on.

In another thread, I noticed that most 60's get a lifetime of 200kwh/km. I noticed i am getting 208Kwh/Km. Could the car simply be recalculating my range based upon that higher usage rate? If so that may make sense, but why the sudden drop in range, did it simply one day decide to recalculate differet than before? I am still on v4.4.....

Maybe I just need to drive a little slower and not enjoy the lightspeed accelerator button so much??