Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Told to Apply for Loan Before VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just go a call from my local Tesla store and I was instructed to apply for my loan but I have not received the VIN or delivery date. I am hesitant because I just ordered and I am expecting it to take another 4-5 weeks and I do not want to run my credit twice if my order is delayed. He said it seems Tesla is matching orders quicker to those who have all the steps completed. I think I will still wait until I am matched. Has anyone else had this experience?

That's what I did when I submitted my order I applied for a loan from Tesla at the same time. I went through Tesla, it was easy. I was going to go through my military CU but Tesla secured my loan with US Bank and I got the same 2.49% for 60 months as my CU.

Don't overthink this.

I thought they were only good for 30 days but I just checked and they are good for 60 days. I’m ok with that.

Attachments

• 6FA38124-7B56-4416-A9C9-7F8884F477DD.jpeg
    6FA38124-7B56-4416-A9C9-7F8884F477DD.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 337
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I thought they were only good for 30 days but I just checked and they are good for 60 days. I’m ok with that.

60 is pushing it IMO. I feel safe with my 90 days.

it is my understanding that the credit hit you receive from a vehicle loan app is minimal and will go back up in a few short months.

wouldn’t be a concern to me unless I was on the verge between a good/great credit score.

Unless you are just obsessed with the number.

I ordered on 7/12 and filled out my registration/delivery info right away. I had a VIN and delivery date around midday on 7/15. I unfroze my credit on the afternoon of 7/15 and applied for Tesla financing. I was approved for the loan by US Bank but changed it to Pasadena FCU today for their 2.24% rate.

When I talked to my service rep about changing the financing I asked him about the history of my car, whether it had been rejected by anyone, when it was built etc. He said it was not a reject and was coming straight from the factory. He also said, as to why I was matched with a vehicle so quickly, that Tesla prioritizes customer orders that have all their data entered on the website. Based on my experience it’s not the loan but the registration and delivery location that matter. YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: kirbo20
Tesla called last night and said they found a car and asked me to apply for my loan so that I would not be passed over. So it sounds like filling our your financing quickly is worth it. I filled everything out and received a VIN via email in a matter of minutes. I am still not seeing the VIN in my account but I did receive it from Tesla via email. Has anyone else seen where the VIN does not show up in the account but you are assigned one from Tesla?

Tesla called last night and said they found a car and asked me to apply for my loan so that I would not be passed over. So it sounds like filling our your financing quickly is worth it. I filled everything out and received a VIN via email in a matter of minutes. I am still not seeing the VIN in my account but I did receive it from Tesla via email. Has anyone else seen where the VIN does not show up in the account but you are assigned one from Tesla?

Yes. Bought an inventory m3p- last year and my SA emailed me my vin later that night. it took almost 24 hrs before it showed up in my source code and then on my account.

Reactions: kirbo20
Ive been matched to a vin per my advisor but it has not shown up in my source code. He sent me a pic of the vin so hopefully everything is good. Fingers crossed

Hi!

I'm planning to order a MY soon and I plan to lease with either USAA or Alliant.

My current spec on the website equals to 52,990.00 before I order. I read somewhere that orders in Texas are not immediately taxed and have to be paid within 30 days of receiving the car. Is this true? If that's the case when applying for a loan, should I include fees + taxes in my loan request or should I pay taxes separately out of my pocket? When does my down payment apply in the loan process?

My first car that I financed I used the dealers bank directly, so I'm kind of unfamiliar with the process.
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 12.06.19 AM.png

Hi!

I'm planning to order a MY soon and I plan to lease with either USAA or Alliant.

My current spec on the website equals to 52,990.00 before I order. I read somewhere that orders in Texas are not immediately taxed and have to be paid within 30 days of receiving the car. Is this true? If that's the case when applying for a loan, should I include fees + taxes in my loan request or should I pay taxes separately out of my pocket? When does my down payment apply in the loan process?

My first car that I financed I used the dealers bank directly, so I'm kind of unfamiliar with the process.View attachment 567891

I'd love for you to keep posting on your progress. Since Texas does not allow manufacturers to sell direct to the public, the process for buying a Tesla is quite different than any car purchase I've made before. I hope to order a Model Y soon, and I assume I will have to go through the San Antonio Service Center.

I'd love for you to keep posting on your progress. Since Texas does not allow manufacturers to sell direct to the public, the process for buying a Tesla is quite different than any car purchase I've made before. I hope to order a Model Y soon, and I assume I will have to go through the San Antonio Service Center.

Will post an update when I order! I posted in a Texas related thread, and one member stated that I'll have to pay taxes and registration fees out of pocket after receiving the car. Guess my best plan is to save up an additional 3k before ordering.