Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toll Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they also charge you like $20 for a new tag. Mine is peeling and my wife has been bugging me to get it replaced, but I'm a cheapskate so I have avoided it.

I guess I was lucky. I went over to their customer service center in Plano and they just gave me a new one for free. I told them it didn't work in the spot they tell people to put it but there's a spot that the car maker suggests and that was that.

If I'm not mistaken, the TXTag still doesn't charge for replacement tags.

When I had an EZ tag, I had never bothered to install it in my car. I subsequently installed it in my then-new car, switched models and license plates. The TXTag has allowed me to do the same thing. I had an EZ tag in my last car (courtesy of my sister), but I got TXTags for my cars (ironic since she's in TXTag territory and I'm in EZ tag territory) and have never gotten around to installing them.

My EZ Tag worked in my old car even after it was removed (because I had to get a new windshield).

This time, I'm using window clings since I got tint on my windshield and was advised not to adhere anything to it. Of course, I hate driving on toll roads, so I haven't installed mine yet.

I think they also charge you like $20 for a new tag. Mine is peeling and my wife has been bugging me to get it replaced, but I'm a cheapskate so I have avoided it.

I also have never been charged for replacement tags. Just scrape off the old tag as best you can and try to keep the serial number complete and they will deactivate that tag and activate a new one. I've done this at least 6 times because of new vehicles, replacement windshields, etc.

Also you can move a tag from one vehicle to another, you just have to log in to the website and change the vehicle type and plate number. The hard part is scraping the old tag off without damaging it. Most of these stickers have a tiny chip in them (you can feel the bump) but the rest of the sticker is an antenna and if you're not careful you can damage the antenna. I just scrape off the sticker and stick it to a piece of paper, then go to the Plano office and get it replaced.

I am a new MS owner and I have tried several places and none of them work - ntta suggestion rearview mirror right side; right of the AP cameras windshield, there is no black or dotted area on mine; rear hatch window; even the little triangle window area of the driver door, but sticking it to the glass roof front center edge seems to work, haven't try the airport gate yet since I no longer have to go to airport weekly.

Did anyone else get a letter from TxTag about them deactivating older license plate tags (effective May 12, 2017) and requesting you to contact them for a replacement? I've called them 3 different times and have been promised that a supervisor would be shipping a new one, but still I've never received it yet.

How do paper plates work if you need to take a toll road once you get delivery?
With past car purchases what I did was get a new toll tag and register it with the paper tag, once my perm plates came in I went into the online portal and updated the tag to coorispond with what the metal plates were.

I am realizing now though but you may be asking if you can take a toll road with just the paper tag and no toll sticker, answer should be no and that you have to go through the booth and not the tag lanes.

With past car purchases what I did was get a new toll tag and register it with the paper tag, once my perm plates came in I went into the online portal and updated the tag to coorispond with what the metal plates were.

I am realizing now though but you may be asking if you can take a toll road with just the paper tag and no toll sticker, answer should be no and that you have to go through the booth and not the tag lanes.
NTTA/Toll Tag doesn't have booths

I was able to temp register and use my paper plate # with HCTA, with no RFID, and that worked on the HCTA roads. I ordered the TxTag RFID (because I wanted the smaller one) and when I got that registered with the temp plates, installed the RFID, and canceled the HCTA registration (actually I think it just timed out?).

I couldn't say whether TxTag toll roads would accept this but when I was registering with TxTag over the phone (because it says to phone them if you are registering with a temp plate) they indicated it would work if the RFID failed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was able to temp register and use my paper plate # with HCTA, with no RFID, and that worked on the HCTA roads. I ordered the TxTag RFID (because I wanted the smaller one) and when I got that registered with the temp plates, installed the RFID, and canceled the HCTA registration (actually I think it just timed out?).

I couldn't say whether TxTag toll roads would accept this but when I was registering with TxTag over the phone (because it says to phone them if you are registering with a temp plate) they indicated it would work if the RFID failed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is the TxTag the one that is the one that is about a 1/2inch wide? I saw one on a model 3 at my work today and it was the first time I had ever seen it and wasn’t sure if it was a toll tag or not. This car also had there registration sticker placed “sideways” I guess to have it more out of the way so that in itself was distracting me from really looking at anything else lol.

This car also had there registration sticker placed “sideways” I guess to have it more out of the way so that in itself was distracting me from really looking at anything else lol.

Interesting idea. Mine is still painter-taped on pending windshield heat blocking film so I might consider trying that to see what it looks like. I assume the "bottom" was rotated to the outside edge of the window? That'd make it just as easy for a LEO to read the number if they were checking it out to verify.

Yes, the Txtag is much smaller as you describe. They also will send you it free when you open the account, as opposed to the $20 for the HCTA tag.

The Harris County Toll Road Authority offered me a toll tag that mounts on the front license plate as posed to the front window. It’s a hard black plastic device that mounts on the license plate screws. Same price as a window sticker toll tag...

I just use the photo billing and didn't affix it to the windshield. The only time I take it out is when I go to DFw. I hold it against the windshield by the rear view mirror to get through the gates. I keep it in the cubby drawer otherwise.