TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tolltags don't work on the Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ajros1, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ajros1

ajros1 Member

Anyone having an issue with their Tolltags not working on their Model S? I am having problems getting the Tolltag to work on the Tollway (I live in Dallas, Texas) and in our gated community where the signal isn't picked up by the gate-opener. I've been told it is due to the electric current around the car. I've tried placing the stick-on Tolltag in various places. The only one that registers, though not reliably, is on the panoramic roof.

2. texex91

texex91 Banned

They don't work through the windshield. Will have to get license plate 'bar' version and attached on front plate. Known issue.

3. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

This has been known from the beginning. It is not "electrical current" around the car. Lol.
    There is one spot that was designed on the windshield for toll tags but has been hit or miss as to it working. It is the black spot just to the right and behind your rear view mirror.

4. mep

mep Member

I was told by Tesla that most of the windshield is coated and the only place which is not is the little hatched area on the right side of the rear view mirror. That is where I have placed my i-Pass transponder and it is working fine. Make sure your device is small enough.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of the windshield "coating" that prevents the RFID transponder in toll tags from working.

The comment about someone thinking that the toll tags don't work because of the "electric field" the car generates made me chuckle.

6. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

I understood UV and IR heat reduction into the cabin.

7. HHHH

HHHH Member

ajros, have you tried the area next to the windshield yet?

8. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

All -

They absolutely work... hold it up just in front of the rear view mirror stalk - works for me every time (EZPass)....

Aaron

9. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Many of us are having the transponders installed behind the nose cone.
    See the thread about removing the nose cone without tools...

10. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Whats the point of going through all the hastle? For almost 5 months now with my iPass, i've just been using Vtoll and has been working fine. They just read the license plate and deduct the funds from my account.

11. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Not all states like the license plate method.

12. HHHH

HHHH Member

As a Dallas native, I can tell you that TollTags work a little differently. Most areas have the scanners that you just drive through and it doesn't stop you. Some though, are unmanned airport security gates that won't raise the gate without reading your TollTag. If you don't have one, you have to back out of traffic and go to a different entrance. Very cumbersome.

13. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

That's interesting. I've read of so many having it not work regardless of placement.

14. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

The mirror stalk placement worked, I thought. But I was wrong, in Texas they were just reading my license plate. That was spelled out on the bill. No additional charge for either method.

15. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

#15 redi, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    DFW Airport is my main issue. Can anyone confirm the tolltag works at DFW Airport gates (in and out)? If they don't scan at the airport, you don't get in or out.

The gates and scanners at DFW Airport were all recently updated (replaced) in mid-September of this year.

NTTA toll scans on the highway doesn't count because they'll default to reading your license plate as you sail through at 75 mph if they don't pick up your tolltag.

DFW Airport does not raise the gate if you don't get a read on your tolltag when you are standing still waiting with a line of cars behind you.

16. ajros1

ajros1 Member

All good suggestions, and I will try the dark area on the windshield as that is the only untried location. I live in a gated area and that is the real issue because their reader has lower frequency than tollway readers. Other option is to go to Tollway Authority and have them take a portable meter reader to see where it picks up the transponder. I will be back in touch.

17. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Has anyone validated that it works behind the nosecone?

18. SteveH

SteveH Member

I tried everywhere around the rear view mirror and behind the nosecone. No joy.

19. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Sorry to hear it doesn't work... I know they're not reading my license plate because most of the toll lanes here have a green light or "Toll Paid" electronic sign that indicates it worked...

Aaron

20. bob_p

bob_p Member

In the Houston area, some of the EZ Tag stores have a test lane where you can drive your car though the lane and verify if the tag is registering. In January, when I first got my MS, spent quite a bit of time experimenting until I verified the sport with the black dots works reasonably well.

I did pick up both a windshield tag and the license plate tag from the EZTag store - just in case, so that if I do run into problems with the windshield sticker, I'll just mount the license plate tag inside the nose cone.

However, it seems to be working OK for me - not only with the EZTag highway sensors - but also with the gate to my neighborhood that also reads the EZTag.