Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tolltags don't work on the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with islandbayy. The website clearly shows when I've passed through. When moving through one of the slower gates, I just hold the thing out the window...not sure if it's reading it or they're relying on the video.

Never once received a penalty or a bill.

The mirror stalk placement worked, I thought. But I was wrong, in Texas they were just reading my license plate. That was spelled out on the bill. No additional charge for either method.

I have my NTTA (Dallas/DFW Airport) tag just stuck under my mirror as pictured, and presumed it was not being read. I checked with NTTA and, although I have just hit a few toll plazas lately, they claim that it is being read electronically and not from scanning my license plate. Small data point, I know, but ? I guess I will have to hit the airport entry gates soon to see what happens.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    322.3 KB · Views: 296
I went to the NTTA office in Plano (Dallas suburb) and had the guy put it on the upper left front window. He claims he did it for a Tesla owner a few weeks ago. I tried it on the gated area I live in that is lower frequency No dice. I'll try the Tollway tonight. What a pain.

Folks, be aware that there was another thread on these forums (which I don't have a link to at the moment, sorry) that made the claim that there was a batch of windshields shipped a while ago without the "radio hole" at the top; these windshields would not allow tags to be read in any position. It's possible that another batch made it through.

I went to the NTTA office in Plano (Dallas suburb) and had the guy put it on the upper left front window. He claims he did it for a Tesla owner a few weeks ago. I tried it on the gated area I live in that is lower frequency No dice. I'll try the Tollway tonight. What a pain.

He claimed--he doesn't know squat. Try it in the bubble dot area as shown above.

It didn't work for us in the "magic" black area, but holding it out the pano roof worked okay. But that's a hassle, especially in the rain.... ;-) We haven't taken the car on a long trip since then, so I haven't tried just holding it behind the mirror stalk itself.

The problem with "trying" odd places to find something that works is that I don't want toll violations if it fails. In my experience (when we tried the area to the right of the stalk, which supposedly was the place) is that we have to practically be passing through for the thing to register normally, so by the time we know if it works or not, it's tough to do anything about it. Once I had to back up a bit to pay and an idiot was following too closely and I could barely reach to pass money to the toll booth operator. After that, we started using the pano roof and (in rain) side window.

For me, this is the only real problem with my Model S for long trips. Charging? No problem. Toll transponders? Bzzt! ;-(

On the plus side, there are no tolls between DC and Raleigh, so once a supercharger is up and running.... :-D

Well now I've gone to the tolltag bar on the front license plate. I'm told by the Tollway Authority it's the only method that works. They gave me one yesterday and I'm getting it installed today. Stay tuned. Annoyance, Tesla.....

I look forward to learning if the NTTA license plate tag (in the nose cone) works at DFW Airport.

Well now I've gone to the tolltag bar on the front license plate. I'm told by the Tollway Authority it's the only method that works. They gave me one yesterday and I'm getting it installed today. Stay tuned. Annoyance, Tesla.....

Mount it on the black metal bumper behind the nosecone --use heavy duty Velcro and a zip tie. Works great for my CA FasTrak license plate version transponder (and I do not have a front plate).

Update on the front license plate Tolltag: It's the only reliable method that works. Putting it behind the nosecone isn't reliable. You can place the bar on the bottom of the license plate with two screws that can't be undone by conventional methods, or get screws with locks behind it, which seems like a pain. After all, if someone is dumb enough to steal it, all you have to do is disable it through NTTA. I can confirm it works in my gated community, which has lower frequency than a toll booth reader. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. It's just that the Tesla windows conduct too much electricity. I wish Tesla would be more forthcoming about this.