Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TomTom dash install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Although the navigation and autopilot works great on the Tesla, I still miss my tomtom with it's live traffic bar and 3D driving view. I've managed to do a reasonable clean install which also doubles up as a speedometer in front of the dash.
What you'll need:
1. Brodit clip clip
2. Mount disk mount
3. Tomtom
Optional - on/off lighter switch.
Process:
1. Install the brodit clip and centre it in your line of sight.
2. Stick on the mount disk to clip.
3. Install the suction mount on your TomTom to clip and adjust the angle.
4. Plug the connection into the 12v lighter - the lighter power stays live even when the car is off so I also added in an on/off switch so you'll need to remember to switch it of so it doesn't drain your battery.
5. Ready to go.
Happy with the install as I now have a speedo reading directly in front, speed cam alerts and traffic which the Tesla maps don't do such as yet. Until that time they do I'll keep my tomtom going for now.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 386
Reactions: jr_gn and Gatsojon
The 12v goes off when the car goes to sleep
Cheers for this, may not need the on/off in this case, whenever I sat in the car, the TomTom was turned on so thought it was still on.

Do you know if the USB-C still stays powered too when the car sleeps? A cleaner install could mean I wire it to one of the USB-c up front?

Cheers for this, may not need the on/off in this case, whenever I sat in the car, the TomTom was turned on so thought it was still on.

Do you know if the USB-C still stays powered too when the car sleeps? A cleaner install could mean I wire it to one of the USB-c up front?
seems the USB goes off too, probably why Sentry keeps the car awake to power the USB

Reactions: boombap
Cheers thanks:
"Power is available whenever the vehicle is considered "awake". The vehicle may be awake for many reasons. For example, when using features such as Summon, or when features such as Preconditioning, Keep Climate On, Dog Mode, Camp Mode, Sentry Mode, etc. are enabled. The vehicle is also awake whenever the low voltage battery is being charged or is in use, during HV charging, when the vehicle is communicating with the mobile app, etc. Leaving an accessory plugged in does not deplete the low voltage battery."
May still stick with the on/off switch if the vehicle wakes for any other reason the tomtom automatically route plans.

I'm also a big fan of TT, and waiting my MY. So I'm delighted at least one person is using an old GPS device in a Tesla. I'm in doubt wether or not keep my TT?

The fact is that the speed-warning (the discrete "ding ding ding") in TT is just amazing. And it's a device that just always works without a hassle.

Just a question. Are you still using this? And how is the brodit clip holding so far?

I'm in doubt wether or not keep my TT?

I haven't used TomTom in "forever" ... I'm very happy with Waze on my phone (used in conjunction with SatNav on Mute to have a nice big map on the screen).

The two go different routes sometimes, so need to decide what to do when that happens - I've had Waze wanting to take me long-way round the M25 (to avoid holdup on QE2 bridge), but that would require a charging-stop, which Waze known nothing about ...

Waze crowd sourced traffic, and police cars, roadworks, and other stuff I find accurate.

I have both used for many times. TomTom gives me more peace of mind. Is more creative / effictive as for guiding around jams. Perfectly guides me through different lanes. I was a Waze user since the first hour. Have even been map-editing in Waze. But Waze is driving me nuts. It's like a roadguidance with severe ADHD. There's always something that drags your attention to Waze. It's all about Waze when it's on. Not about the trip, or the road.

As for TT... the USP for me is that speed warning in TT. The gentle sound it makes, gives me a Pavlov reflex, foot of the gas, and slowing down. That feature alone has saved me maybe 100 times the value of my investment in TomTom over the years. This is Belgium, trajectory control everywhere. Speed cameras around every corner.

Also... I did a roadtrip Iceland. Planned the routes nicely on beforehand in Tomtom Mydrive. On holiday, in the morning I loaded the trip in my TTgo app, then linked the smartphone to the RAV4's Android Auto, and off we went. Zero discussion about how to drive (I admit that Iceland is not that complicated as finding your way around). When taking a detour we had the choice to pick up the planned road again "shortest" or "back to where we left". It was so easy and so fun.

So, honestly. Tomtom is it for me. I haven't even installed Waze in like 2 years.

But not the interactive way like with waze

They used to have (donkeys years ago) overhead camera to detect traffic flow - but that only gave them "Blockage between A and B" so no indication of size of tailback and so on. Actually I don't think that was TomTom originally, I had a device with a dongle that just had a map of the motorway gantry speed detectors and an indication where there was a blockage - with no GPS for where the car was at the time.

If they are transmitting speed / location from each TomTom user that would give them tailback length etc. Also if cars suddenly start driving across a ploughed field - when new bypass opens (which Waze certainly adapts to promptly, and I guess TomTom too - needs a decent volume of users though. Musk talked about using Tesla to have their own "traffic detector" ... Eddie Stobart trucks have done it too I think ... clearly aggregated data would be better).

But without user feedback I am sceptical how they can get police car location and new roadworks when they pop up. Nick the data from Waze maybe?!!

I'm also a big fan of TT, and waiting my MY. So I'm delighted at least one person is using an old GPS device in a Tesla. I'm in doubt wether or not keep my TT?

The fact is that the speed-warning (the discrete "ding ding ding") in TT is just amazing. And it's a device that just always works without a hassle.

Just a question. Are you still using this? And how is the brodit clip holding so far?
Still using every day, tomtom alongside tesla nav, if you turn the directions volume down on the tomtom, the speed alerts and traffic delays alerts still work. Brodit clip holding up well and in my direct line of sight.
Still a vote for TomTom for me. Problem with phone satnavs is that it relies on a mobile signal whereas tomtom uses satellites so I've found if you lose signal you lose your route. Unless they've changed things on the phone satnavs.
Each to their own, this setup works for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: jr_gn
Still using every day, tomtom alongside tesla nav, if you turn the directions volume down on the tomtom, the speed alerts and traffic delays alerts still work. Brodit clip holding up well and in my direct line of sight.
Still a vote for TomTom for me. Problem with phone satnavs is that it relies on a mobile signal whereas tomtom uses satellites so I've found if you lose signal you lose your route. Unless they've changed things on the phone satnavs.
I have been using TT via Apple car play for over 7 year and before that I had TT device. In 9 years of using TT. Travelled extensively around EU I never had any speeding tickets. With Waze I got speeding ticket twice. In Luxembourg. Then I stopped with Waze. TT route planning and traffic info is impecible and very simple minimalistic view is perfect. It also works in Tunnels. While Tesla Google maps struggles.

Reactions: ACarneiro and jr_gn
Just to let you all know. You can mount a TT Discover easily via this:

You can onmount the magnet and use the ball-mount for a TT as well. Both have same size and thread is compatible. Have no photo's though

Interestingly I just recently added a TomTom to my setup. Like others said, it seems a bit more creative with its routing and the instructions are easier to interpret than the Tesla maps.
Only drawback is not having a built-in data connection so needs to bluetooth to my phone to get traffic data. That seems a tad last century.
The use of an older, slower GPS chipsets without Galileo or multi-frequency GNSS also suggests they're not really investing seriously in their products any more (and who can blame them?).

Waze is owned by Google so won't touch it with a bargepole.

I don’t like the company, don’t like their ethos, don’t like how they go out of their way to harvest personal information in order to monetise it.
Insofar as I can (I am fully aware that this is probably fighting a losing battle) I would rather not give them details of my journeys or exact locations.
just curious, what phone brand do you have?

i mean, I am 99.99% certain that you share it already anyway

just curious, what phone brand do you have?

i mean, I am 99.99% certain that you share it already anyway
Yes, you are quite right. I have an iPhone and I suspect I would be horrified with how much data Apple have on me. But at least their business model isn't all predicated on harvesting, exploiting and selling that data.
Also, sometimes just because you can't win the fight doesn't mean you shouldn't fight it anyway but I do take your point....

Reactions: DeejUK and KennethS
Taking the thread on a tangent (I'm amazed that people still use TomTom, and I'm pleased for the folks I worked with at WebFleet Systems), I feel the same way about Meta. Never had a Facebook account, stopped using WhatsApp and switched to Signal. Would love a VR system but Oculus are Meta, so no VR for me. I don't like giving Google more data than I already do, and will be looking at switching to ProtonMail/Drive in the future. I've got an adblocker running on my router (tweaked to blacklist things like Philips Hue's attempts to send data to the mothership), use Brave's in-built nonsense-blocker, and use DuckDuckGo for web search (falling back to Google or Bing if I really can't find something that I strongly suspect that I should be able to find).

Giving away less data as a matter of principle I find easier to live with than going 'sod it, it is too difficult and I will not stop all of it, so I give in'. Bit like carbon emissions and environmental issues really.