TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ton - Miles / kwH Metric

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Owner, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Owner

Owner Active Member

I have been calculating metrics on electric car efficiency on my blog. Ton - Miles / kwH seems like a good metric to judge the engineering efficiency of the car. It isn't as practical as a day to day MPGe or Miles / kwH, which I prefer. But it does provide an insight into the engineering built into the car.

tonmileskwh.jpg

Thoughts?

2. jdh

jdh Member

Don't you think the 60KWh version will be lighter than the 85KWh, at least partially accounting for the increase in MPGe?

If you were to assume the same Ton-Miles/KWh for both models, then the 60KWh should weigh 4280lbs (367lbs lighter).

I guess we'll see when Tesla publishes the curb weight for the 60KWh model, or someone takes delivery of one and takes it to the scales.

3. Owner

Owner Active Member

I agree the weight of the 60kwH will be lighter. But I haven't seen an official number. Where did you get your 367 lb number?

4. jdh

jdh Member

My 367lb number was based on your table assuming equivalent efficiency at Ton-Miles/KWh for both models. I just solved for X where Ton-Miles/KWh = 6.11 and KWh/100 Miles = 35

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Ton-miles really isn't a good measure when you include the car. What matters are passenger-miles or cargo-miles. Or maybe fun-miles.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Aren't fun-miles 90%+ ?

7. Owner

Owner Active Member

Ah, reverse engineering based upon the Mpge numbers in effect. I'll wait to update the table when the actual numbers are released, and they will probably be very close!