Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tons of Used Model S - Getting ready for CPO Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With regard to freeway passing acceleration of the P85 vs the P85D, no I have no data. When I test drove a P85D service loaner about 3 weeks ago, I just felt it was ever so slightly sluggish compared to my P85 on freeway accelerations (ie. starting at 70 mph and going up from there). When I returned the loaner, the service guy said that the P85 was better at freeway acceleration. Now he might have just been trying to make me feel good about my car, I don't know. And software updates keep happening to the P85D, so who knows.

With regard to freeway passing acceleration of the P85 vs the P85D, no I have no data. When I test drove a P85D service loaner about 3 weeks ago, I just felt it was ever so slightly sluggish compared to my P85 on freeway accelerations (ie. starting at 70 mph and going up from there). When I returned the loaner, the service guy said that the P85 was better at freeway acceleration. Now he might have just been trying to make me feel good about my car, I don't know. And software updates keep happening to the P85D, so who knows.
Oh, that's because the loaners are in "almost" valet mode. I think they are limited at 85. So when starting at 70, yes, it's going to be lame...
I have of course never exceeded the speed limit in my car, so I wouldn't know how it drives north of 70mph (and that was only in WA, here in OR the max speed is still 65) :eek:

I live in southern Illinois and am out shopping for a "pre-owned" Tesla, am considering parting with my 8 month old 2014 Stingray. Do I have to physically go to a Tesla Store or can I make a few phone call's.

Of course without a "trade" in program getting me out of my Stingray is the long pole in the tent. I need to do this this year as I plan on retiring next spring - 2016.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

I live in southern Illinois and am out shopping for a "pre-owned" Tesla, am considering parting with my 8 month old 2014 Stingray. Do I have to physically go to a Tesla Store or can I make a few phone call's.

Of course without a "trade" in program getting me out of my Stingray is the long pole in the tent. I need to do this this year as I plan on retiring next spring - 2016.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

1- Tesla trades trade-ins of ANY kind. Just be aware they will wholesale it out, so your Corvette might fetch more money going elsewhere. Always max value to sell yourself, but most hassle, tire kickers, etc. Given the newness of that car, I'd see if a large-scale nearby Chevy dealer wants it, or a high line dealer. I know that the guys over at Chicago Motorcars would probably love a car like that.

2- You should be able to call any local store/service center (Tesla) to discuss what CPO options they have. You could do it all over the phone if you want, but then again you might prefer to go in since you'd be able to see the specific cars in question. Might help you evaluate cost, condition, etc. But it would definitely be worth starting by calling a store, tell them your'e serious about CPO program, and maybe schedule a time to visit.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed your location is near St Louis - there is a store there. Best to maybe start with them, get a trade-in value from them, and see what CPO options they offer.

1- Tesla trades trade-ins of ANY kind. Just be aware they will wholesale it out, so your Corvette might fetch more money going elsewhere. Always max value to sell yourself, but most hassle, tire kickers, etc. Given the newness of that car, I'd see if a large-scale nearby Chevy dealer wants it, or a high line dealer. I know that the guys over at Chicago Motorcars would probably love a car like that.

2- You should be able to call any local store/service center (Tesla) to discuss what CPO options they have. You could do it all over the phone if you want, but then again you might prefer to go in since you'd be able to see the specific cars in question. Might help you evaluate cost, condition, etc. But it would definitely be worth starting by calling a store, tell them your'e serious about CPO program, and maybe schedule a time to visit.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed your location is near St Louis - there is a store there. Best to maybe start with them, get a trade-in value from them, and see what CPO options they offer.

Thanks for the info, I need to pay more attention to what's going on with Tesla - and I just bought some stock. This is the first I heard that they accepted trade's. But yes, I'll see what my selling dealer will offer, and they pay CarMax a visit and then offer it over on the Corvette Forum. I have had much luck selling previous Corvette's on-line.

Cheers

Tom

It will let people buy MS for less price and therefore more people would be able to afford it.

The question is ...will it reduce the re-sale value of MS? It depends on how much Tesla is willing to come down on the price when selling those cars.

It will let people buy MS for less price and therefore more people would be able to afford it.

The question is ...will it reduce the re-sale value of MS? It depends on how much Tesla is willing to come down on the price when selling those cars.
Resale values are already quite low - and competing with the CPO is even harder for private sellers. And the fact that so many of the models we own have been since EOLed doesn't help, either. Pretty much anything pre-AP sells at rather depressing values. But that's what happens if you have a car maker that innovates at internet speed. Would I rather have received more money for my 60? You bet. Would I want Tesla to slow down their innovation cycle in order to have better resale value? Heck no.

BTW was told by one of the guys at Highland park that Tesla is considering changing the warranty structure for CPO cars in the near future. Instead of 2yrs./20K (or whatever it is currently) tacked on to the end of the cars warranty, all CPO cars would just start fresh with a full 4yrs/50K of warranty. Very interesting proposition if true.

My guess: Tesla doesn't want to sell these cars in volume in competition with new cars being produced...until they can start producing the Model X. Once they can switch production to Model X, then they will clear these cars out - not at fire sale prices, but at prices that are more favorable. It is all about not cannibalizing new copies of the S70D and S85.

I should know. I am interested in the 70D, but if a used P85 came up with the right equipment, color and price, then a "new" car, even with autopilot, becomes less enticing. Essentially a used P85 at $65k or so beats a new 70D, highly equipped at $94k (-7500 - net $87k) in my world.

I should know. I am interested in the 70D, but if a used P85 came up with the right equipment, color and price, then a "new" car, even with autopilot, becomes less enticing. Essentially a used P85 at $65k or so beats a new 70D, highly equipped at $94k (-7500 - net $87k) in my world.

I kind of disagree with your last statement (but again you said your world)..to me 70D with autopilot features is more valuable than P85 with no autopilot features

Don't get me wrong...I don't have auto pilot features either but the way Tesla is innovating...I hate to miss it ..if I were to buy a Tesla today.

I kind of disagree with your last statement (but again you said your world)..to me 70D with autopilot features is more valuable than P85 with no autopilot features

Don't get me wrong...I don't have auto pilot features either but the way Tesla is innovating...I hate to miss it ..if I were to buy a Tesla today.
I think that is a highly individual statement.
But I do think that the few AP-enabled P85/P85+ will actually hold their value much better than most other Model S. There are quite a few people who really want a performance RWD version of the Model S, and while some might even be willing to give up AP for that, getting the best of all worlds is likely to create strong resale value.

These cars are depreciating about $750-$1400 a month so I have no idea why waiting to unload them makes any sense. The longer they wait the more vehicles there will be and perhaps that is the point where they want to offer a nice wide selection of vehicles to choose from. In any case, each month they sit on these vehicles they are loosing money based on depreciation and again based on the money vested to buy the cars back.

These cars are depreciating about $750-$1400 a month so I have no idea why waiting to unload them makes any sense. The longer they wait the more vehicles there will be and perhaps that is the point where they want to offer a nice wide selection of vehicles to choose from. In any case, each month they sit on these vehicles they are loosing money based on depreciation and again based on the money vested to buy the cars back.
It might not be that easy. Say they dump these onto the market, even at a bit higher than market rate. They'll sell, and it's likely at this point in time that nearly every CPO sale is the loss of a new sale. That's going to hurt their numbers. It may be that putting off that hit is worth more to the company than the loss they're taking every month on the CPO vehicles they have in stock. Particularly if they can time the CPO sales to the Model X launch and explain away the discrepancy that way.

It might not be that easy. Say they dump these onto the market, even at a bit higher than market rate. They'll sell, and it's likely at this point in time that nearly every CPO sale is the loss of a new sale. That's going to hurt their numbers. It may be that putting off that hit is worth more to the company than the loss they're taking every month on the CPO vehicles they have in stock. Particularly if they can time the CPO sales to the Model X launch and explain away the discrepancy that way.

Well then they are waiting for the higher capacity batteries so that there is a clear differentiator between the CPO cars and the "new" cars. If they release a 100+ kWh battery option for new cars then I guess what you say makes sense because then you can either buy a lower range 85 model or higher range new model. This way those who want the greatest range will buy new and there will be more of a differentiator for buying new. The other big thing I can see coming is Autopilot 2.0 rear radar (hopefully both medium and long range) and rear camera for better situational awareness of the autopilot system.

Either way now what you say makes sense as it seems they are waiting for something big to roll out their CPO program. In any case the CPO program is alive and well. If you go to any Tesla store they will show you specs for dozens of CPO vehicles you can buy. It's just a bit of a secret now as you have to ask for it.