Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Cautious with Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preconditioning always seems to start as soon as I have a route with SuC stop in the satnav even when that's an hour or more away. I've no idea whether it's actively doing anything for all of that time as opposed to just being an acknowledgement that it will try to make sure the battery is up to temperature though.

When we had the V10 UI it was easy to keep your odometer and Wh/mile card in view on the screen ... I recall seeing the Wh/mile increase when the car reported early preconditioning early in the trip so pretty sure it was actually doing its thing. (I suppose it's possible that Tesla has discovered that "spending" that power warming things up earlier leads to an overall better consumption than doing it all in the last 15 miles ... maybe Bjorn has a video on this but I haven't looked.)

Reactions: UkNorthampton
(I suppose it's possible that Tesla has discovered that "spending" that power warming things up earlier leads to an overall better consumption than doing it all in the last 15 miles ... maybe Bjorn has a video on this but I haven't looked

My recollection (not sure if was a Bjorn YouTube) was that it now starts earlier, but does the pre-condition in bursts, not continuously. No idea why/if that is more efficient.

I presume that pre-conditioning actually means that overall charge time is shorter (regardless of whether the current status is a bug / temporary and will be refined / improved). So more sales of electricity, and at higher-amp-age over shorter time, so stall becomes available sooner - less wait time if there is a queue, of course, but also more ability to sell yet more juice to more people in a shorter amount of time.

Reactions: Adopado