Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too cold to start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a message saying battery is heating. Power will improve as you drive.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hn6M2fbGk1d8WpNj7
Hn6M2fbGk1d8WpNj7

Observations in Ottawa this morning after last night's low of -23ºC

Conditions
- Both cars left unplugged overnight (simply forgot to plug one in)
- No garage or carport, just snow-covered driveway
- EVSE (Flo Home G5, J1772 plug only, mounted on outside wall) is shared 'cause Leaf came first

Observations
- 30kWh Leaf, left overnight at ~95% SoC, sent txt msg stating battery heater was turned on at ~6am
- msg indicated that I should plug in the car
- current SoC (2pm) is 86% and Leaf is still not plugged in

- LR M3, left overnight ~42% SoC, no messages at all
- checked phone app at ~10am and battery showed 37% SoC (+ snowflake symbol)
- set interior to 26ºC for 25 mins (minimize chance of frozen charge port, door handles, etc)
- didn't notice anything worse than normal winter stuff (frozen door handles)
- after entering car, noticed dots on both sides of power meter line (no regen at all & battery power at ~50%)
- car drove as normal (have to back out and reverse car into driveway in order to reach EVSE cord)
- charge port opened without any incident/noise/messages, charging set to 90% at 30A (7 kW) using J1772+adapter

EVSE cord was very stiff (expected). Carefully didn't force the cord to do anything other than minimum twist/turn required to get the plug+adapter into Tesla port.

Just sharing that car charging outside in dead of winter is ok (so far). Weather forecast is for 3 consecutive days of bitter cold so will report back at the end with more info.

Apologies for replying to my own post from Sat Jan 19. Trying for continuity and ease of information flow

Update:
Charged to 90% (confirmed on app) on Sat Jan 19, unplugged ~10:30pm, ~1 hr after app reported charging was complete
Left M3 unplugged outside, undisturbed, for 4 nights + 3 days (each day: -23ºC overnight low, -19ºC daytime high)
Did not check status in Tesla app nor opened car door anytime between unplugging on Sat eve and today
I do not have any 3rd party apps running (that poll the car to gather stats)
Checked app this morning at ~9:15am (outside temp -6ºC)

76% battery (snowflake icon) on app

I'm pretty impressed by this result. I imagined a 10% loss/day given the cold temps and expected to see the car showing less than 60% this morning.

No updates/changes on Leaf information as we were using that car while conducting this experiment on the Model 3. We charged the Leaf to 100% each night.

Also did you check the rated km left? With snowflake icon the percentage and rated km don't always line up. That is you'd expect 76% to be 379km normally but it was probably less km.
I didn't check the km (but will later today).

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the battery percentage displayed on the screen & app is actual. As in there's 76% charge left in the battery.

How many kms/miles you/I can get from that 76% may depend on quite a few factors. Therefore, as a metric, I was trying to get something that would apply more universally rather than the kms that I could get out of that 76% given the road conditions, rims, tires, tire inflation, air temperature/density, cabin temperature, seat heater(s), battery temperature, driving habits, etc.

I realize that the bottom line is how far can one go on that 76% and I'm not taking anything away from the validity of that goal. But my 300kms may not be your 300kms.

My hope is that my observed 76% would be close to anyone's 76% given same starting SoC + chilling temps + duration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Techniques

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the battery percentage displayed on the screen & app is actual. As in there's 76% charge left in the battery.

How many kms/miles you/I can get from that 76% may depend on quite a few factors. Therefore, as a metric, I was trying to get something that would apply more universally rather than the kms that I could get out of that 76% given the road conditions, rims, tires, tire inflation, air temperature/density, cabin temperature, seat heater(s), battery temperature, driving habits, etc.

I realize that the bottom line is how far can one go on that 76% and I'm not taking anything away from the validity of that goal. But my 300kms may not be your 300kms.

My hope is that my observed 76% would be close to anyone's 76% given same starting SoC + chilling temps + duration.

This is great information!

When it's not cold the km is essentially percentage times 499km (I charge to 90% and km is always between 445km and 449km). Or almost exactly that (off by a few digits), it's not an estimate but almost the same as percentage but in terms of that times EPA range. With the snowflake it is percentage times 499km minus whatever is not available due to the cold (which can be several tens of km not available).

Like last night I had 245 and 50% when I got home, 236km and 49% when the car went to sleep 2 hours later, and 49% and 221km when I left for work this morning.

Thank you all for the informative feedback.

Here is a relevant Jalopnk article covering Munro's findings when they took apart a Model 3. Specifically it is detailing the 'superbottle' but has 2 diagrams about heat control in the 3.

Relevant paragraph quoted below:

Per the diagram below, when the batteries need to be warmed up instead of cooled down, you can see that coolant gets pumped to the management module and then into an oil-to-coolant heat exchanger in the drive unit to pick up heat, before being diverted away from the radiator via the integrated valve and sent directly through the chiller (which I assume is off in this case) to warm up the batteries.

Munro says Tesla actually “stalls” the drive motor to intentionally use its heat to warm up the batteries—a novel solution that forgoes the need for an electric resistance heater.
https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3s-superbottle-easter-egg-is-a-fascin-1830992728

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
It should start heating when it’s that cold and plugged in. You can also check the app while driving and view the climate control screen.

Here are some screen shots of the car actively heating the battery this evening while plugged in and not charging.

Note the consumption of about 2.5 kW. Also note that the displayed state of charge increases as the battery warms up even though it isn’t charging.

8048BE47-0135-4E4D-9EAB-5958BD1A25AA.png
41C4F7D0-C064-4645-B969-63B7EB3A9304.png
B54457BE-4EDC-4F9C-B455-73701D67D766.png
4B6C2C5B-D89E-45B2-B971-4B4D7C2DDD3A.png
F6FC00D4-8F2E-45DB-9FEB-5B50F2C9C36A.png
A4417A05-86AA-4916-BA31-02387A08664F.png