Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too easy to accidentally trigger high beam headlights when initiating a left turn signal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a design issue with how the left stalk works mechanically, or is it an actual problem that could be fixed? Support takes a while to answer questions so I figured I would ask here in the meantime to see if this is a common issue.

Basically, I've been having this problem of accidentally activating my high beams and just now realized it always happened after initiating a left turn signal. For some reason, when in the down position, the left stalk becomes very sensitive to picking up even the slightest nudge forward, causing high beam headlights to come up. This isn't the case when doing a right turn signal, where I need to apply enough force to cause the stalk to actually move forward before high beams turn on.

Here's a quick video showing the difference between both stalk positions

Seems like an edge case, but I've never had such an issue with other vehicles I've driven in the past. If I don't push down perfectly straight, there's a chance the high beams just comes up together with the left turn signal

I simply extend a finger or two and swipe down or up. I've never thought to grab the stalk itself, maybe that's the issue?
That was just to show how sensitive pushing it forward is while in the down position (where I can trigger high beams without even fully pushing the stalk forward). I also just extend a finger to push up/down but the additional resistance for a full swipe down action (not the half press one) tends to also somehow cause accidental triggering of high beams.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Upvote 0
That was just to show how sensitive pushing it forward is while in the down position (where I can trigger high beams without even fully pushing the stalk forward). I also just extend a finger to push up/down but the additional resistance for a full swipe down action (not the half press one) tends to also somehow cause accidental triggering of high beams.
Oh I see, I don't know then. Maybe your stalk is loose or has play as EVer suggested?

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Upvote 0
Happened to me for a while, sometimes, when using the turn signal. I'm unsure if it's more on left turns or both. Once I realized what was happening, I somehow changed the way I set the turn signals and it doesn't happen anymore. I probably engage the turn signal less agressively, in a more controlled way I guess.

Upvote 0
Happened to me for a while, sometimes, when using the turn signal. I'm unsure if it's more on left turns or both. Once I realized what was happening, I somehow changed the way I set the turn signals and it doesn't happen anymore. I probably engage the turn signal less agressively, in a more controlled way I guess.
Same here. When I first got the car, sometimes I was activating the highs as I was turning on the signals. After being frustrated with it, I guess I naturally changed how I hit the stalk (straight up/down) and haven’t inadvertently triggered the highs since.

Upvote 0