Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too far Tesla...Too far. Auto change to Lease without approval first!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, Tesla has been active today. Never hear anything from them other than for updates of when statements are available.

I'm hoping this was somehow just a one-off glitch. I know Tesla has it's own way of doing things and all, and so many Fanboi's go along with it. Tesla very much has an "our way or no way attitude". As the only high-end EV game in town for quite some time, they've gotten away with it. Including taking deposits for things they can't deliver for years (Roadster, Full Self Drive Features, Cybertrucks, Semi, etc). That's fine, we agreed to it.

Today, have received a bunch of e-mails today regarding terms conditions and generic things.

The one that put me over the edge however, was the e-mail saying I have successfully enrolled in Direct Debit for lease payment. I absolutely, 1,000% did no such thing. I've made my payments for more than 2 years, on time, but do make them from various accounts for various reasons. I NEVER agree to direct withdraws or payments for ANYTHING as I choose to be in control of my own finances and to be sure I never forget that money is being taken out of a particular account. I'm just shocked that after over 2 years, Tesla felt it had the right to make a change like that to my account without asking first and getting approval.

Fortunately, found the option in My Account to turn off that option, but not something I should have ever had to do. Ask me if you want, but to just apply such a change goes too far. I've accepted that Tesla has removed features from my (all of our) cars (while adding others) without giving us the option to get them back. I understand that they've removed most "choices" that used to exist when configuring a car. At one point, tried to limit Ludicrous owners to how much they could "launch their cars", reduce battery capacity in some cars.... Even that they sell cars with FSD, then remove it when they take cars on trade to charge the next buyer again for something they already sold. And even that I've had deposits with them for solar, cybertruck and paid for FSD on two cars that I never received it on. But, to start taking money out of my account at your leisure? Just too friggen far. Yes, they have it coming for the payment each month, but it's not up to them to determine how they get it from me when I never agreed to it. With all the online fraud and account theft and such, I'm VERY careful at what I do with my money on the internet, including what accounts I'm willing to even put in cyberspace.

They have ways to prove what every driver does in their cars, want to see where they got that it was ok to do this?

Wow, I'm good at ignoring most things, being of the belief that the only things that will bother you are those that you let bother you. But, am seeing why so many complain about Tesla's customer service methods, handling of existing customers once the purchase is complete, build quality, etc. But, this just bugs me.

Has this happened to anyone else? Again, praying that it was just a one-off glitch that somehow randomly happened out of the blue on my account?

Yep just saw the same email. Turned that *sugar* right off.
Wow!!!! Such a shock that Tesla believes it has the right to do this!! I don't even have my checking account info with Tesla, so can only guess they were going to charge my credit card? Just blown away on this one! Or worse, they were saving my account info when making payments, which every other place has the option to no do so, but Tesla apparently kept it anyway.

At least be honest about it. E-mail says "YOU" have successfully enrolled. "I" did no such thing. At least have the e-mail be up front and tell you that they did it without asking you and notify you of the option to turn it off. Although, I don't believe they have the right to do such a thing without permission. I'm not a lawyer, but doesn't seem legally correct.

Last edited:
I don’t believe it’s malicious, but rather incompetence and work overload. Tesla finance processes can be inconsistent and fragmented (e.g., lease payments auto paid thru bank don’t get processed for 8 days causing late notices, months of duplicate connectivity charges and errors in correcting, etc.).

Is this the first time Tesla added the direct debit option? I could be another bug with their payment processing provider like that time they double charged a bunch of people:

Tesla double-charged some customers for new cars, leaving them desperate for refund details
Just another example of their quality control. Common complaints about issues with car quality off the line, for 9 years running and still hasn't gotten better. Customer service has dwindled to nothing. Product is becoming very generic. They're cutting every corner possible to save a buck. Focusing on hats and party tricks instead to distract from the real issues. But hey, at least your car can fart!!

That link was pretty bad. This, is just as bad on a grander scale. Smaller amounts, but apparently to every lease holder. You cannot just take money from people's account without telling them! I'm at the point where I just don't trust the company to do the right thing anymore. Pretty sad. No morals. We all agreed to "MAKE A PAYMENT", not to "HAVE PAYMENTS TAKEN FROM US"

Just another example of their quality control. Common complaints about issues with car quality off the line, for 9 years running and still hasn't gotten better. Customer service has dwindled to nothing. Product is becoming very generic. They're cutting every corner possible to save a buck. Focusing on hats and party tricks instead to distract from the real issues. But hey, at least your car can fart!!

That link was pretty bad. This, is just as bad on a grander scale. Smaller amounts, but apparently to every lease holder. You cannot just take money from people's account without telling them! I'm at the point where I just don't trust the company to do the right thing anymore. Pretty sad. No morals. We all agreed to "MAKE A PAYMENT", not to "HAVE PAYMENTS TAKEN FROM US"
I'm just saying, if this was a payment processor mistake that affected relatively few people, that is very different from a blanket new policy change of opt-out auto pay.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I don’t believe it’s malicious, but rather incompetence and work overload. Tesla finance processes can be inconsistent and fragmented (e.g., lease payments auto paid thru bank don’t get processed for 8 days causing late notices, months of duplicate connectivity charges and errors in correcting, etc.).
I might believe that if not for all the other crap they've tried to pull, some of which I noted in the OP. Tesla just does what they want and so far, have been able to get away with it. Times will change.

Wow!!!! Such a shock that Tesla believes it has the right to do this!! I don't even have my checking account info with Tesla, so can only guess they were going to charge my credit card?
If you think you can get them to charge the credit card without any additional surcharge, you should do it. It's not hard to get a credit card which gives you at least 1% back on all purchases. That's $1,000 free money on $100K worth of Tesla payments.

So, Tesla has been active today. Never hear anything from them other than for updates of when statements are available.

I'm hoping this was somehow just a one-off glitch. I know Tesla has it's own way of doing things and all, and so many Fanboi's go along with it. Tesla very much has an "our way or no way attitude". As the only high-end EV game in town for quite some time, they've gotten away with it. Including taking deposits for things they can't deliver for years (Roadster, Full Self Drive Features, Cybertrucks, Semi, etc). That's fine, we agreed to it.

Today, have received a bunch of e-mails today regarding terms conditions and generic things.

The one that put me over the edge however, was the e-mail saying I have successfully enrolled in Direct Debit for lease payment. I absolutely, 1,000% did no such thing. I've made my payments for more than 2 years, on time, but do make them from various accounts for various reasons. I NEVER agree to direct withdraws or payments for ANYTHING as I choose to be in control of my own finances and to be sure I never forget that money is being taken out of a particular account. I'm just shocked that after over 2 years, Tesla felt it had the right to make a change like that to my account without asking first and getting approval.

Fortunately, found the option in My Account to turn off that option, but not something I should have ever had to do. Ask me if you want, but to just apply such a change goes too far. I've accepted that Tesla has removed features from my (all of our) cars (while adding others) without giving us the option to get them back. I understand that they've removed most "choices" that used to exist when configuring a car. At one point, tried to limit Ludicrous owners to how much they could "launch their cars", reduce battery capacity in some cars.... Even that they sell cars with FSD, then remove it when they take cars on trade to charge the next buyer again for something they already sold. And even that I've had deposits with them for solar, cybertruck and paid for FSD on two cars that I never received it on. But, to start taking money out of my account at your leisure? Just too friggen far. Yes, they have it coming for the payment each month, but it's not up to them to determine how they get it from me when I never agreed to it. With all the online fraud and account theft and such, I'm VERY careful at what I do with my money on the internet, including what accounts I'm willing to even put in cyberspace.

They have ways to prove what every driver does in their cars, want to see where they got that it was ok to do this?

Wow, I'm good at ignoring most things, being of the belief that the only things that will bother you are those that you let bother you. But, am seeing why so many complain about Tesla's customer service methods, handling of existing customers once the purchase is complete, build quality, etc. But, this just bugs me.

Has this happened to anyone else? Again, praying that it was just a one-off glitch that somehow randomly happened out of the blue on my account?
Where did Tesla get your bank account number? If you never gave it to them, I would just report this as fraud to the bank. Heck, even if you gave it to them for another purpose, that's still fraud. Let Tesla explain themselves to the bank and straighten it out.

Where did Tesla get your bank account number? If you never gave it to them, I would just report this as fraud to the bank. Heck, even if you gave it to them for another purpose, that's still fraud. Let Tesla explain themselves to the bank and straighten it out.
I enter in whatever account I'm using to make the payment each month. The only permanent payment method on my account is the credit card for the yearly subscription charge as I have free supercharging included. Either they planned on billing my credit card or using one of the accounts I've entered in to make a past payment. Further adds to the shadiness of it all. Have no clue as Tesla didn't say what account they're going to debit. Just told me that I successfully enrolled when I did no such thing and apparently, neither did anyone else. They may have selected an account I don't keep money in, then would get dinged for overdraw charges and whatever else. This was SO wrong on every level by Tesla. As I noted, they should never make such a change without approval. But, even giving them a pass on that, which I absolutely do NOT, then the e-mail shouldn't have been some bulls#*t message saying I did something I didn't do. That's what pisses me off. No indication of why, warning it was coming, instructions how to stop it. Just a message that was false from its first words. If they wanted to do this, at a very minimum, say "We've enrolled you in direct debit and will debit xxxx account on this date for this amount" with a message "if you wish to opt out of direct debt, here is guidance how to do so.....".

With all the fraudulent e-mails that get sent by people attempting to make themselves look like your credit card carrier or bank or whatever, I NEVER, EVER, EVER click the link in an e-mail, even if I think I know where it came from. If I get such an e-mail, I then go sign into my account the way I normally would as that's the only method I know with 100% certainty, where I'm going to end up. Rather that clicking on some scammers duplicate e-mail like that takes you to their matching appearing bogus site and asks you to enter in all of your private details, so that a day or two later, you can start to see money disappear from your accounts. After digging through the website, finally found the button to disable Direct-Pay that was magically turned on by Tesla with Zero notice.

I do agree, EVERYONE who gets an unapproved charged on their account, should absolutely report it as fraud and make Tesla answer for their actions. Show proof of where the customer authorized you to TAKE money from them at your leisure,

It is YOUR MONEY, until you AGREE to let them TAKE that money by from you by CHOOSING to sign up for their direct deposit/debit option at which time you've transferred that right. Many did I'm sure. For the rest of us, we, simply agreed to pay them a monthly payment each month on a specified due date, meaning "you make" the payment, not "them taking" the payment. Huge difference if you never agreed to it.

EVERY OTHER COMPANY ON THE PLANET highly encourages you to use direct pay / direct debit, but it's ALWAYS an option you have to agree to. Or was part of your original agreement up front, if you so chose to do that. Many companies offer discounts for direct deposit / direct payment / direct debit to entice you to sign up. Telsa is a "just do it now, we'll ask for forgiveness later" mindset. Problem that, they never do apologize for it. But, for the one's you do AGREE to, you then provide them account info that you're approving them to debit from each month.

This just never should have happened. Could unintentionally put people in a very bad way taking money out of their accounts without them having planned for it or from those not expecting it.

Reactions: MIBryan
This seems wrong and unethical imho.

I am curious if anyone with a legal background can weigh in if this action crosses through the grey legal area and across the line.

I might believe it isn't illegal as I have seen other major companies act similarly but would like to know the truth. In my case both DirecTV and AT&T mobile. Both of the aforementioned leveraged payment auto-pay into renewals for a promissory discount or advertised rate.

I hope one of the earlier posters calls/emails into Tesla Finance for a response. I would like to hear the story and reason(s) behind this.

This seems wrong and unethical imho.

I am curious if anyone with a legal background can weigh in if this action crosses through the grey legal area and across the line.

I might believe it isn't illegal as I have seen other major companies act similarly but would like to know the truth. In my case both DirecTV and AT&T mobile. Both of the aforementioned leveraged payment auto-pay into renewals for a promissory discount or advertised rate.

I hope one of the earlier posters calls/emails into Tesla Finance for a response. I would like to hear the story and reason(s) behind this.
I have messages out to them. Will see if I get a reply??

Thanks for letting us know. Very disappointed