Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Fat for Tesla? (Model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, don't forget that Elon recently tweeted a response to Kristian Nairn (Hodor on Game of Thrones) recommending an X. He is 6'10" and 370-400 lbs.
Don't know about the brackets, but the headrests are definitely going to be a problem. I'm 6'4 and they're not high enough for me. Which seems inconsistent given that I've got leg room and head room to spare.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I actually have a service invoice that states they observed the rocking motion that @DougH also noted, and says that the repair may not fix the issue (see below). Not sure if they are saying that because they think I'm too heavy for the seat, but it would seem that they're admitting they can't correct the issue.

Y5ICbfJ.png

Thanks everyone for the responses. I actually have a service invoice that states they observed the rocking motion that @DougH also noted, and says that the repair may not fix the issue (see below). Not sure if they are saying that because they think I'm too heavy for the seat, but it would seem that they're admitting they can't correct the issue.

Y5ICbfJ.png

If their design has a 250 lb seat limit they need new designers and engineers. That's absurd. I would just make them replace the seats and eventually they will have a tsb to fix it permanently

Reactions: brantse and srini

Y5ICbfJ.png

Hmmmmm Something is fishy about this

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Last edited:
I'm a big guy and this was a fear of mine leading up to the arrival of my Model X. I kept reaching out to different departments and others who had already taken delivery in the USA of their model X.
I was given no such indication that there was a weight limit. I was very concerned about the hip room. I've now had my MX for just under a month and I am very happy with it.
Someone must be playing a joke on you or whomever made that call to you needs to be seriously reprimanded.

I find that quite insulting that they would blame your weight for their deficencies. Rather than play the blame game, they should be working on resolving the issues with your car. You're not the first person who has complained about faulty seats on TMC.

Ummm.... any doctor will tell you it's not only heavy, it's obese.... unless you're about 6'10":

http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Bmi-chart-big.jpg

But that's not the issue. Most people are fat and the seats should be able to hold fat people without issue.
Great chart :cool:

Bmi-chart-big.jpg
This is very true and a general guideline. That said, there are certainly many people who, based on body composition and muscle mass, don't fit this bill. I went to a military academy and we had a semi-annual weigh in. If you didn't meet the prescribed weight for your height, you then had to go to a secondary check where they calculated a ratio of your neck to waist size. There were generally two types of people in that second line 1) overweight people and 2) very muscular people (some of which had very little body fat).

Now back on topic... A 250 lbs. design capacity is not adequate. As mentioned before, let Tesla replace the seats as many times as it takes until sinks in.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
There is SOME point, when auto manufacturers are NOT obligated to cater to the morbidly obese

2FA9977800000578-0-image-a-40_1451380715459.jpg

... of which I'd certainly be the 1st, had I not spent most every day biking, running, swimming to drop the weight over the last decade. It's painful, inconvenient, time consuming, and I hate it.
At some point, the weight thing is like the autopilot thing ... folks do need to take SOME responsibility. Or, we can just sue manufacturers, so they can make all cars accommodate the outliers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc and Canuck
Hmm.. 6'4 isn't that tall. I wonder how NBA players do it.
I'm 6'4 but my height is mostly in my back. My inseam is only 34". I have to buy extra tall shirts, but my pants are normal length.

I would think NBA/NFL athletes would need custom seats in any vehicle. I've driven many vehicle where headroom was tight, so I would have to recline the seat significantly, and I really don't like to drive laying down like that. And I haven't driven any vehicle (other than the Model X) as a full-grown adult where I can actually see the traffic signals at an intersection when I'm the first car without leaning forward and twisting my neck to look up.

I don't have to recline at all in the Model X, and I don't have to put the seat all the way back or even all the way down to find a good seating position. But I have to slump a bit in the seat so the headrest won't hit my in the back, below the base of my neck. 1/2 inch more upward adjustment in the head rest would solve my issue completely.

Elon replied to my email! I basically asked if this 250 lbs limit was true, and if so, why he would recommend his vehicle for someone like Kristian Nairn who is publicly known to be heavier than that limit. I also asked him if he agreed that it was right for his SC manager to ask me my weight and suggest I might be heavier than 250 lbs. His response was short but sweet:

Looking into it. Should be solvable.

Elon replied to my email! I basically asked if this 250 lbs limit was true, and if so, why he would recommend his vehicle for someone like Kristian Nairn who is publicly known to be heavier than that limit. I also asked him if he agreed that it was right for his SC manager to ask me my weight and suggest I might be heavier than 250 lbs. His response was short but sweet:

i can't tell if he's kidding or not