Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Fat for Tesla? (Model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i can't tell if he's kidding or not
I'm not kidding. See screenshot of email below:

Xz1qvNm.png

• Informative
Reactions: schonelucht
my apologies i thought it was a joke i wasn't privy too
No need to apologize! And sorry if my reply was terse; just wanted to quickly get that posted for you to see :)

I believe Elon's reply was a serious one, he is implicitly acknowledging that the issue is real, and that he has passed on the issue to Tesla engineering to address.
I sure hope so. I'll update this thread with progress on my situation as it evolves.

I too noticed the seats on my Model X have had a slight rock since day one. I've been meaning to complain to my service writer about them but haven't said anything yet since I figured it was a minor issue and that they would eventually come up with a fix for it.

I too noticed the seats on my Model X have had a slight rock since day one. I've been meaning to complain to my service writer about them but haven't said anything yet since I figured it was a minor issue and that they would eventually come up with a fix for it.
I would suggest you let them know; if more people raise the issue, then perhaps they'll recognize it's a design flaw or manufacturing defect that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: srini
Thanks everyone for the responses. I actually have a service invoice that states they observed the rocking motion that @DougH also noted, and says that the repair may not fix the issue (see below). Not sure if they are saying that because they think I'm too heavy for the seat, but it would seem that they're admitting they can't correct the issue.

Y5ICbfJ.png

Nothing here about your weight or that seat is overloaded. All seats rock a bit due to tolerances (I guess the heavier you are the more you're able to move the chair).

I'm reading above and it says that replacing one you have will most likely not fix the "small amount of seat movement" you're complaining about.

I also note that the diagnosis has been done by watching video you provided that perhaps does not show well what you experience. I would wait until you get it replaced before speculating about weight limits, etc.

Last edited:
Not that I've seen it, but are you mistaking "rock" vs "flex?" To me, "rock" implies instability whereas "flex" implies stress of materials (hopefully) remaining within normal limits. A straight metal bar can exhibit minor flex when put under stress, but may not necessarily be in danger of breaking. I would assume joints are even more prone to rock/flex as they are normal points of articulation.

And I agree, 250 lbs is a ludicrous weight limit for a car seat. My interpretation of Elon's tweet is that he is unaware of the issue ("looking into it"), but confident that whatever the issue is should be solveable.

Nothing about your weight or that seat is overloaded.
If you read the full thread, you'll see that the weight discussion happened over the phone with the SC manager, not in the service invoice. I shared this screenshot to show that they observed the movement and suggested replacement (I don't believe they would have suggested a full replacement of the seat if it was simply tolerance).

Flex is fine as long as it remains within the elastic range of any material. Once it surpases the elastic range, it deforms permanently (not good).

If something is rocking, say due to loose bolts, then that is bad too because (a) it can cause bolts to quickly loosen further and/or (b) it can cause hardware to prematurely fail due to stressing components in ways it wasn't designed to handle.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and 1208
If you read the full thread, you'll see that the weight discussion happened over the phone with the SC manager, not in the service invoice. I shared this screenshot to show that they observed the movement and suggested replacement (I don't believe they would have suggested a full replacement of the seat if it was simply tolerance).

Have SC actually had a chance to look at it? Description says that their conclusions are based on video you provided.

Not that I've seen it, but are you mistaking "rock" vs "flex?" To me, "rock" implies instability whereas "flex" implies stress of materials (hopefully) remaining within normal limits. A straight metal bar can exhibit minor flex when put under stress, but may not necessarily be in danger of breaking. I would assume joints are even more prone to rock/flex as they are normal points of articulation.
It's definitely rocking, not flex of the seat. I'd estimate (from the video the ranger took) that the movement is around 1-2 centimeters of movement when observing at the top of the seat (which means the movement at the base of the seat is less, but still too significant to be just flex).

If something is rocking, say due to loose bolts, then that is bad too because (a) it can cause bolts to quickly loosen further and/or (b) it can cause hardware to prematurely fail due to stressing components in ways it wasn't designed to handle.
It's definitely this. Imagine you're sitting in a lawn chair, and as you sit down, it wasn't fully extended, so that when you sit down, it rocks into place. This is the feeling that happens whenever I accelerate in the vehicle, or when I brake (the inverse, in that the seat feels as if it's rocking forward).

Yes; they had the vehicle for a week, even replaced parts of the seat previously. However, the issue persists. They sent the rangers out to my office to take the video and assess the situation at my convenience.

It appears SC is saying that your seat is within tolerances and new one may not address your complaint (they maybe wrong about that as seats go through revisions as well). See if you can test drive one of their loaners to check if you experience the same thing.

It appears SC is saying that your seat is within tolerances and new one may not address your complaint (they maybe wrong about that as seats go through revisions as well). See if you can test drive one of their loaners and see if you experience the same thing.
I had a loaner MX for that week (which was a sweet looking White P90D with the cold weather package). Didn't observe this issue the entire time I had that loaner vehicle. Wonder if the cold weather package has better/more secured seats?! :)

Ummm.... any doctor will tell you it's not only heavy, it's obese.... unless you're about 6'10":

http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Bmi-chart-big.jpg

But that's not the issue. Most people are fat and the seats should be able to hold fat people without issue.
Kind of true . . .
but the chart shows my 6'-5" frame is overweight at 210Lbs. It doesn't account for 'variables'. Exercise/Muscle mass is the thing that keeps some folks "off the chart" / overweight. Stop exercise ... & you can loose the healthy mass prior to gaining fat weight. Also ... IIRC, there's a separate chart for women. I do like the cart. But seat rocking - don't like that & there needs to be a reasonable explanation WHY some do & some don't. The excuse - "that's just the way it is" doesn't cut it, when some have no ill effect. It's like the ghosting windshield - quality needs to be uniform.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and Canuck