Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Fat for Tesla? (Model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would suggest you let them know; if more people raise the issue, then perhaps they'll recognize it's a design flaw or manufacturing defect that needs to be addressed.

Great! You r asking Elon to buy more sleeping bags for the end of design line and spec lines, and sleep at multiple places at the same time? Now that's ludicrous!!

I find this quite shocking.
My last 2 S85D with NextGen seats, had issues too. Deformed and backrest were loose.
Both times SC told me it's not fixable.:mad:
Not good.
I'm 218 and 6.3 and waiting for my X , had a hope they will be better.
If anyone at the SC had told me i'm too fat or anything, I've probably punched them right through the wall.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: SSD420
FWIW,
aircraft seats are designed using the hybrid III 50th percentile Male ATD specifications,which
assume a persons weight to be approximately 170 lbs.

For airplanes: https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/NPA 2013-20.pdf

Some googling seems to indicate that car-crash tests use similar specs and weight.

I found a weight table within above mentioned specifications where a large male was in the 210 to 245 lb group.
So 250lbs indeed fulfills all requirements for certification purposes.

Hey all – quick update on this thread. Elon connected me with a regional service manager who called and profusely apologized how I was treated. He indicated that there was no such weight limit, and that the issue was actually something they needed to fix. He mentioned they were committed to making things right. I'm working with this gentleman and the folks on his team, and will keep you all posted on the remediation. Thanks for the support!

Hey all – quick update on this thread. Elon connected me with a regional service manager who called and profusely apologized how I was treated. He indicated that there was no such weight limit, and that the issue was actually something they needed to fix

What needs fixing?
Implementation issue: only your car has this issue due to improper implementation?
Design issue: they need to adjust the design so this doesn't happen in other cars as I believe others claimed they had some issues?

I'm not kidding. See screenshot of email below:

Xz1qvNm.png

Curious does the tesla welcome kit contain the email of Elon musk? How did you find what email to reach him on?

• Helpful
Reactions: SureValla
FWIW,
aircraft seats are designed using the hybrid III 50th percentile Male ATD specifications,which
assume a persons weight to be approximately 170 lbs.

For airplanes: https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/NPA 2013-20.pdf

Some googling seems to indicate that car-crash tests use similar specs and weight...
Aircraft seats are designed to take 26 G's; yes, count them, 26. Automobile regulations are similarly stringent though I don't recall the number off hand, it's 12 if memory serves.

There's something fishy about this, seats should hold 1000lb without breaking a sweat...

What needs fixing?
Implementation issue: only your car has this issue due to improper implementation?
Design issue: they need to adjust the design so this doesn't happen in other cars as I believe others claimed they had some issues?
Must be only his car. If not, Tesla would have proactively issued a voluntary recall by now to fix "it". Yes, service managers fix design issues too :)

It's only an insult if he doesn't have his well-being in mind. Otherwise, it is a warning from an expert.

I think real doctors don't jump into conclusions. As a long time expert internet user I conclude he/she is an impostor...or a doctor who made off topic post.

Back on topic, @spentan's MX is signature X so he had it for a while too. Seems like OP issue should be resolved once seat is replaced.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Roentgen
Update on this situation. Got an email from Jon McNeill (President, Global Sales and Service), in which he stated:
We’ve got a team of engineers working on a root cause for the issue with your seats. I'm not sure where the 250lb reference came from as the seats are rated way above that level.

Clearly the SC manager who informed me of the 250 lbs limit (and indirectly asked for my weight) was completely off based (and out of line, as Tesla's leadership agrees per my conversations with them).

Ummm.... any doctor will tell you it's not only heavy, it's obese.... unless you're about 6'10":

http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Bmi-chart-big.jpg

But that's not the issue. Most people are fat and the seats should be able to hold fat people without issue.

BMI is a piss poor way of judging health. You can be sedentary and have a normal BMI, decide to go to the gym, build more muscle, lose fat, end up healthier and have a higher BMI that misleads people that don't understand how bad BMI is as a prediction of someones fitness.

FWIW my BMI is about 24 now but was about 20 before I started working out. My waist size dropped 4" and my chest, shoulders, biceps etc are noticeably more developed.

If all I saw was a high BMI I'd have no idea if the person was an athlete or a couch potato.

BMI is a piss poor way of judging health. You can be sedentary and have a normal BMI, decide to go to the gym, build more muscle, lose fat, end up healthier and have a higher BMI that misleads people that don't understand how bad BMI is as a prediction of someones fitness.

FWIW my BMI is about 24 now but was about 20 before I started working out. My waist size dropped 4" and my chest, shoulders, biceps etc are noticeably more developed.

If all I saw was a high BMI I'd have no idea if the person was an athlete or a couch potato.

Exactly. It's amusing how closely arrogance and ignorance are correlated to junk science - such as what has become referred to as BMI.