Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Fat for Tesla? (Model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, other posters have their opinions on how/when/where this post went south. I just took the offered weight and provided a defined fact for where he/she is on the obesity scale with complete neutrality on the fact. No opinions. No shaming. No emotion. No HIPPA. No doctor-patient breach. Just a fact that their weight is defined in the morbid obesity category. I doubt any of you could logically argue that, though you tried...even got an email from moderator who opted to delete some of these posts. As for emailing EM, you'll have to figure the TM email system to find it on your own. I too have emailed him about the 5 seat delay, and was referred to John McNeil and his staff who were wonderfully pleasant to assist me in my upgrade.
Rough crowd we are amongst....makes me think of Rodney Dangerfield!

HIPAA is the acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that was passed by Congress in 1996.
Basically the legalities of not disclosing personal health information on anyone without them having a need to know. Means I cant discuss your personal information, name, disease, address, photos of your xyz, etc etc to anyone without your explicit signed authorization/approval

@boardworks If you hear more I would greatly appreciate it if you could share, I'm torn because I see two sides to this issue. 1) The engineers may have truly designed it for <250# people and are now scrambling to not say that any more than they already have and still deal with the issue. 2) I'm personally over 250 and have owned a considerable number of cars over the years and I don't recall any others rocking (well, at least not any that I couldn't attribute to rotten floor pans in the clunkers I drove as a teenager). I'm impatiently waiting on my X to arrive and hoping this isn't an issue for me.

I'm quite aware that I'm extremely overweight and I'm not going to try to convince anyone it's muscle. Maybe this can be my motivation.

Moving off of that aspect of the topic, is anyone aware of any other manufacturer that has a weight limit (of any value)?
If 250 isn't the number, is it 300? 400? 900? 1400? Obviously there is a limit somewhere.
I'll definitely keep you posted as the situation progresses. The ball is in their court currently, so once I get more details I'll post them.

I agree that 250 cannot be an accurate limit on seats. If an average 50 mph head on crash generates approximately 15 g's, that would make even a 100lb Victoria Secret model suddenly weigh 1,500 lbs. Also note that Greco child car seats are rated at 47 g's. Therefore perhaps the Tesla seats have an "operating weigh limit" of 250 lbs as far as the seat movement motor but this would have nothing to do with the rating of what the actual seat will hold. The guy who said his seat rocks must have an actual defect in the seat. If there is an issue with the motor, Tesla will simply need to upgrade to heavy duty, high weight motor such as used by Mercedes and Dodge.

Reactions: Hodginator
I agree that 250 cannot be an accurate limit on seats. If an average 50 mph head on crash generates approximately 15 g's, that would make even a 100lb Victoria Secret model suddenly weigh 1,500 lbs. Also note that Greco child car seats are rated at 47 g's. Therefore perhaps the Tesla seats have an "operating weigh limit" of 250 lbs as far as the seat movement motor but this would have nothing to do with the rating of what the actual seat will hold. The guy who said his seat rocks must have an actual defect in the seat. If there is an issue with the motor, Tesla will simply need to upgrade to heavy duty, high weight motor such as used by Mercedes and Dodge.
The motors are capable not sure that is the issue here, the rocking could be from something as simple as an incorrectly sized bushing in the seat track or other part that is out of spec or that wears prematurely with "heavy" use. May also be completely unrelated to the weight of the occupant. I have had riders who exceed 250lbs and have not experienced any rocking whatsoever.

The waters are getting muddied here.

Starting from F = M*A
And 250 pounds = 113.6 Kg,

The initial report was that the seat is rated for up to 113.6 Kg passenger. That says nothing about rated F.

oh come on, for science sake (yeah, for science), I went through Model Measurements and the lowest weight was 110 pounds and only one. VS doesn't have any 100 pound models.

I was surprised how many were 112 pounds though. TIL the most common VS model weight.