Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too good to be true model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jhopso

Nov 24, 2021
USA
Good day!

This is my first time posting on this forum, thank you beforehand for hearing me out.

A couple days ago I came across a publication of a salvage title, 2016 Tesla Model X with just 50K! The price is too good to ignore, so I reached out to the owner. Upon taking with him he stated that the body damage of the car has been entirely repaired, except for the airbags that popped. He says that he no longer has time to work on it, so instead he is letting it go for a bargain.

But here’s the catch: He said that the car is in “limp mode” because the airbags are popped and the computer limits the car speed for safety reasons. The car doesn’t seem to be in service mode at all. I was doing research and saw various YouTube videos of Model X’s blasting down the freeway with no airbags ( project cars). So I am just wondering if any of you has heard of this problem before? Or if anybody can provide me with some sort of guidance?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hi @Jhopso ,

Welcome to TMC!!!

My answer would be to RUN, do not walk, away from this car...
Please use the Forum search facility to search the word "Salvage."
You may be ill after reading what others have been through working, fighting, or fixing a salvage car.
Cars with airbag deployments are a special problem...

@jboy210 has good advice to sell it for parts... but beware of any disposal costs
(hazardous waste) if the battery is not usable or marketable for parts.

Good Luck,

Shawn

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0