Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Late to order a Sales Tax Exempt Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did upgrade to the signature reservation, nearly 3 years ago now. Doesn't look like that is going to help me any now that Tesla is talking about 3rd quarter 2015 for production.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone heard about legislative action in Washington that may extend the exemption? Somewhere I heard that they may cap the vehicle price at $50,000. I wonder if that means that anything over the $50k get no exemption or only the first $50k of the vehicle purchase is exempt.

Some of us at Plug In America (not me yet) have been talking to WA legislators about extending the sales tax waiver. It clearly sells more cars, it doesn't require appropriations, it helps WA meet clean air, clean water and CO2 goals, and it is a HUGE boost to the economy to have car owners buy local electricity (and keep lots of money for discretionary spending) instead of out-of-state petroleum. It's high on the Seattle EVA's legislative list as well, and CATES (who is also working to get some health-related orgs on board). Jeff Finn created a chart calculating costs and savings, and it's clearly a good investment for the state - more so for WA than most other states.

However, even legislators that own EVs and are very receptive to these arguments are still worried about getting this extended. The big problem is that they have the education funding sword over their heads, and they are in a mood to cut anything they can. Something like this that doesn't even need cutting, just non-renewal, is at very high risk. If it does get renewed, it will likely have a $50k cap (that is, the waiver will only apply to the first $50k of the sales price).

Of course, that's short-term thinking...short-term revenues might rise slightly due to extra sales tax revenue, but having more car buyers send money out-of-state for petroleum is going to hurt revenues in the long run. Still, most legislators aren't much better than consumers on short-vs-long tradeoffs; they figure they will be out of office by then anyway. Sigh.

If you want to help, join a group like Plug In America, Seattle EV Association, or Six's WA EV PAC. And write your legislators. There may be coordinated actions in the future, so watch this space.

Last edited:
I'm convinced that the sales tax exemption is what made Washington a top market for Tesla.

There is another economic benefit to extending the sales tax exemption. There are some local engineering firms visiting Tesla and talking about engineering contracts. Tesla's growth helps our economic growth.

Seriously, let's leave the drama out of it and just discuss what happens. If there is a system in place to collect the sales tax of someone moving a car from Oregon to Washington, so be it. But I doubt there is any sort of extra penalty if they "catch" you. Do they charge 20% instead of the normal sales tax? No. So just discuss the facts of what happens in that situation.

Just to follow up on this for anyone reading this thread in the future (I know this part of the discussion is old...)

You can see the penalties for trying to avoid the sales tax (technically use tax) on vehicles here in RCW 46.16A.030(6). This includes leaving the car registered in another state (such as Oregon) more than 30 days after you move to Washington. The executive summary is:

For the first offense (considered a gross misdemeanor, so it could/would go on your record):
  • Up to a $529 fine plus assessments
  • Up to 1 year in jail
  • Possibly another $1000 fine
  • Additional penalties and fees
  • None of the fines are eligible for reduction.

For subsequent offenses after the first (each time):
  • A base fine of $529 plus assessments
  • Up to 1 year in jail
  • An additional $5000 fine
  • Additional penalties and fees
  • None of the fines are eligible for reduction.

I'm not saying that will actually happen, but it is what the law specifies and allows. So, if they do catch you (which can easily happen if you are pulled over for a traffic infraction), the consequences can be daunting. There used to be a lot of people on the Washington/Oregon border that would do this, so both states got pretty serious about both catching and punishing folks trying to avoid the taxes. The state considers it fraud. The fines they collect are used only to pay for vehicle license fraud enforcement (see RCW 46.68.250).

for the record, this Tesla owner very much took the tax exemption into account. I don't think it's wise to assume that everyone capable of purchasing a Tesla can afford a big loss. the exemption is very important. new tech is a risky purchase. we traded in our 2012 Leaf for a 2012 lease after the residual value began to drop like a rock, if we had to pay sales tax twice to do it, we'd have been screwed. Our P85+ is now a discontinued car and is dropping in value like a rock. the federal and state incentive made it a viable option for us to take that risk, it gave us a much needed cushion, given the hit we are and will be taking. if the tax break doesn't get extended, it's going to add one more negative to the scale for us and the X, along with Tesla apparently not offering an option for mounting a cargo rack up top, which means no kayaks, no ski's etc, etc. federal and state incentives combined, if still available, would help us feel more comfortable to jump in, knowing trading up down the line to a more full function EV SUV wouldn't be as expensive.