Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too many charging companies?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to this forum. Tesla Model 3 Standard Range + on order. I will be totally new to EV ownership.

The vast majority of my journeys will easily be covered by charging from home but since Tesla Superchargers are thin on the ground when I travel further, here in the UK, I will be relying on other charging suppliers. It is seriously confusing. Logic would say that all of them should accept a credit/debit card and the cost of what is used debited from my account with the cost per Kw clearly displayed.

But, no! It appears that with many you have to pay a annual membership, so to cover all available suppliers you might end up with a pocket full of membership cards, many of which will never be used.

Where can I find a simple, easy to understand list of suppliers, their charges and procedures. If this is has already been covered on this forum (probably) please can someone direct me to that thread or to an appropriate website.

Thanks in anticipation.

I am new to this forum. Tesla Model 3 Standard Range + on order. I will be totally new to EV ownership.

The vast majority of my journeys will easily be covered by charging from home but since Tesla Superchargers are thin on the ground when I travel further, here in the UK, I will be relying on other charging suppliers. It is seriously confusing. Logic would say that all of them should accept a credit/debit card and the cost of what is used debited from my account with the cost per Kw clearly displayed.

But, no! It appears that with many you have to pay a annual membership, so to cover all available suppliers you might end up with a pocket full of membership cards, many of which will never be used.

Where can I find a simple, easy to understand list of suppliers, their charges and procedures. If this is has already been covered on this forum (probably) please can someone direct me to that thread or to an appropriate website.

Thanks in anticipation.

You might want to start by having a look at ZapMap to see what is reasonably local to you. Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map Once you have an idea of which charge points you might visit, and which are most abundant, you can dig a bit deeper on the info for each site on the ZapMap. Covers costs and links to the originating provider.

There are some pretty good vids on youtube too, discussing the range of providers and protocols required.

Good luck with the new car when you get it.