Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too many choices for a car - help help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a M S 60 on pre-order, due to be confirmed soon,

The biggest question I guess is will I be able to handle charging the car on the SC and elsewhere?
I dont have charging at my current apartment (hope to move in 6 months), so will I be able to manage going to a SC to charge? the car will for fun essentially, as I dont have a commute, and I dont have a set schedule so I can go to a SC 9 miles away in west la/culver city. so my dailly commute mileage is about 20miles if I drive around, but I can see how this can get old quick going to a SC to charge

so my other choices is basically getting a i3 or stick with a ICE and go for a porsche cayman or bmw 4 series

but I REALLY WANT AUTOPILOT..... I cannot stand Los angeles traffic....

So I have a M S 60 on pre-order, due to be confirmed soon,

The biggest question I guess is will I be able to handle charging the car on the SC and elsewhere?
I dont have charging at my current apartment (hope to move in 6 months), so will I be able to manage going to a SC to charge? the car will for fun essentially, as I dont have a commute, and I dont have a set schedule so I can go to a SC 9 miles away in west la/culver city. so my dailly commute mileage is about 20miles if I drive around, but I can see how this can get old quick going to a SC to charge

so my other choices is basically getting a i3 or stick with a ICE and go for a porsche cayman or bmw 4 series

but I REALLY WANT AUTOPILOT..... I cannot stand Los angeles traffic....

The 2017 E Class is coming out in a few weeks. It has the latest version of auto steering/semi-autonomous driving with three cameras, called Drive Pilot. I have a M3 on order but also plan to test drive and consider the new E Class.

I was at BMW today and the guy said many tesla owners are unhappy and turn in their car and get a bmw. and then he showed me the i3 auto parallel parking, but it didnt inspire as much confidence in me as the tesla parking, since it almost scraped the rims parking.

What I like about the design of the Mercedes Drive Pilot is that it has three cameras and it will fully brake for a stopped vehicle. There's other new features too like preventing accidents with crossing traffic and pedestrian avoidance features, but I think the braking for a stopped car is the most important.

I was at BMW today and the guy said many tesla owners are unhappy and turn in their car and get a bmw. and then he showed me the i3 auto parallel parking, but it didnt inspire as much confidence in me as the tesla parking, since it almost scraped the rims parking.
Of course a BMW salesman is going to tell you that about a Tesla. What else is he going to say? :p

You know if you have a pretty flexible schedule, SCing in your case may not be that bad.

I mean, you swing by and get online for 20 minutes every 4 days. I have home charging and a nearby free chademo. When I have free time, I might stop by and get some miles. I think it all depends how busy you are. I haven't stopped by that charger in 6 months now.

Is there a coffee shop nearby and do you like coffee?

i3 owner here. This happens quite a lot based on feedback from the i3 forums, and it happened to me, so I don't use the function anymore. Plus the i3 is so small of a car that it is very easy to parallel park on its own and I find applying the auto parking takes much longer than just doing it.

I think you'll be happier in the S over the i3. Also check out plugshare.com as there are probably a lot of charging stations in your area. Depending on the length of your commute you may only have to charge twice per week.

Do you have a 110v regular outlet at your apartment? You can still plugin to that and get 3-5 miles of range per hour so overnight that would basically recharge your commute.

+1. Don't discount 110v charging especially if it's just a temporary solution. Check with the landlord to make sure it's ok (it's pennies a day in usage; offer to pay if it helps) then plug into an outdoor 110v outlet. They're often found on the sides of buildings or light posts, etc.

Auto parking is a marginal feature and IMO it really doesn't matter when compared to Autopilot. IMHO Tesla AP is a huge benefit. It is addictive. It is very relaxing on stressful (highway) commutes. It makes long distance driving more enjoyable.

I will believe when I can get my hands on MBZ Drive-pilot in an extended drive. I am not going to be blown away by slick animations or claims of umpteen sensors and cameras. Ultimately how the car drives on its own is important and not how many cameras and sensors

anyways, I decided to get the S, and since I have no commute, I'll use it as my mobile office of sorts, and do some emails or something while I charge up at a supercharger, and hopefully I can get apt company to get with the times and install something in the parking lot