Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too much degradation for 2016 model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, new to the forum so thanks for having me.

I’m about to purchase a 2016 model s 75 rwd that has 150k miles on it. I noticed in the picture that at the 90% charging limit, it shows 186 miles of range, meaning 100% should be around 206mi. I believe when new it should have had 249 miles. Is this too much degradation?

I have a family member with a 2016 75d with 90k miles that has a range of 244 when full, so it’s only degraded around 10 miles. Is there a way to see if the previous owner was just charging it to 100% everyday?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Hello, new to the forum so thanks for having me.

I’m about to purchase a 2016 model s 75 rwd that has 150k miles on it. I noticed in the picture that at the 90% charging limit, it shows 186 miles of range, meaning 100% should be around 206mi. I believe when new it should have had 249 miles. Is this too much degradation?

I have a family member with a 2016 75d with 90k miles that has a range of 244 when full, so it’s only degraded around 10 miles. Is there a way to see if the previous owner was just charging it to 100% everyday?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

You could contact wk057 tech. The problem is they are so backlogged on their monitoring equipment that they aren't even at sending it to people like myself who bought their warranty. Still, they might give you some idea.

Upvote 0
I have a late 2016 S75 approaching 160k miles. As of this morning my estimated 100% charge is 212 miles, so that’s right in line with the car you’re looking at.

I supercharge a decent amount, pretty regularly charge to 90% and discharge to ~20%, and have charged to 100% many dozens of times, but certainly not “every day”.

In short, I think what you’re looking at is pretty normal for a car with those miles. Only you can decide if that fits your needs. No degradation warranty on a 2016 S, so don’t go into it thinking Tesla is going to do anything for you to address it.

Upvote 0
You could contact wk057 tech. The problem is they are so backlogged on their monitoring equipment that they aren't even at sending it to people like myself who bought their warranty. Still, they might give you some idea.
Everyone who signs up will get a monitoring unit. We've been prioritizing sending them to customers who's vehicles have the highest risk batteries first, which has pushed some folks back pretty far in the queue there unfortunately depending on how things stack up as we get batches out. We've already done quite a few repairs and replacements under the service program for folks with and without the monitoring units. Really hoping to get everyone online soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Every pack will give a different reading. There are too many variables. Remember we antique owners were throttled back a few years ago. Overnight my range went from 265 to 225. I got refurbished pack under warranty. They set max range at 225. It was originally 265. I complained, did no good, company policy. I also got no warranty on new pack. The battery pack situations will always be a hot topic as these cars age and we live in different climates. Replacements are getting cheaper from third party shops.

Reactions: drhombus
Upvote 0
May as well update, After the battery had a chance to drain and recalibrate, turns out the actual range of the car mentioned above is 216 at 100%. According to Tessie, 11.5% degradation. It currently has 162,500 mi on it
I have a 2016 Model S 75 and at full charge I get 225. Mileage 90,860so I think at your 162k and 11.5% is looking pretty good :)

Reactions: drhombus
Upvote 0
I'd like to know how the estimated range is calculated. Does it use recent wh/mile figures? The reason I ask: my average wh/ mile charging overnight at home and in warm weather is about 270 or less. Assuming 80kwh is available and that my maths is correct, that gives a range of 296 miles.
In the same weather conditions, similar traffic etc., but with supercharging, the wh/mile is over 300, due to battery preheating I believe. That works out at a 266 mile range. Or does the car account for battery preheating when supercharging?

Upvote 0