Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too much focus on FSD?

Should Tesla slow down FSD spending, and focus on vehicles and production development?

• Yes

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the FSD team actually costs that much, so I don't think they need to cut FSD spending.

I do, however, think they need to shut up about self-driving and focus on selling electric cars. Self-driving is vaporware. Electric cars are real.
I agree, I wish they would have just said nothing about it while it was in development and then just dropped it when it was ready. But then again they couldn't have sold it if they didn't talk about it. Besides, think of all the free advertising Tesla has gotten out of all the controversy, you can't buy that.

I think the particular focus on FSD has to do with what I heard on the Adam Jonas (of MS) institutional client call: Tesla is *far* ahead of everyone else and maybe has an insurmountable lead. It's a very valuable part of the company in the eyes of outsiders.

BTW, as a software developer (not in AI/NN), I think it'll be 20-30 years before there's even a reasonable FSD capability. The basics of accurate object detection and tracking aren't there, other than in ideal situations, and we all know that just doesn't cut it in the real world. In my area there was a rush to NN for analysis of real time data about a decade ago. It petered out when the researchers concluded that they had no idea what the NN was latching onto during its detection phase. Basically, they couldn't trust it so they've gone back to more deterministic detection and analysis methods. Anyway, if I were to make a WAG on what it would take, hardware-wise, for minimal FSD, it would be a Tesla NN system on each of the car's cameras - probably binocular camera systems and generate some sort of complex intermediate output. That output would feed into the "brain" NN system in order to make sense of the car's surroundings.

I think the particular focus on FSD has to do with what I heard on the Adam Jonas (of MS) institutional client call: Tesla is *far* ahead of everyone else and maybe has an insurmountable lead. It's a very valuable part of the company in the eyes of outsiders.

BTW, as a software developer (not in AI/NN), I think it'll be 20-30 years before there's even a reasonable FSD capability. The basics of accurate object detection and tracking aren't there, other than in ideal situations, and we all know that just doesn't cut it in the real world. In my area there was a rush to NN for analysis of real time data about a decade ago. It petered out when the researchers concluded that they had no idea what the NN was latching onto during its detection phase. Basically, they couldn't trust it so they've gone back to more deterministic detection and analysis methods. Anyway, if I were to make a WAG on what it would take, hardware-wise, for minimal FSD, it would be a Tesla NN system on each of the car's cameras - probably binocular camera systems and generate some sort of complex intermediate output. That output would feed into the "brain" NN system in order to make sense of the car's surroundings.

Consumer reports released their findings on Tesla FSD today, stating it was dangerous, not functioning as claimed, and using it was more trouble than just driving it yourself. It will be interesting to see Tesla’s response.

Consumer reports released their findings on Tesla FSD today, stating it was dangerous, not functioning as claimed, and using it was more trouble than just driving it yourself. It will be interesting to see Tesla’s response.

Consumer Reports is a very conservative left brain outfit, making their evaluations on what is immediately in front of them and with little vision. I won't disagree with them based on what they see today, although I'm not sure what they are testing. I thought there was no full self driving capability to be tested?

If they are talking about navigate on autopilot, yeah, that really has usability issues. I tend to be pretty patient with the various beta stuff on the car (although you might not know that from my posts). The other day it was hitting the brakes on the highway when there was nothing in front of me and insisting that I change lanes when I didn't want to. Every time I hit the button to ignore the suggestion it immediately returned. Hitting the brakes on the highway is dangerous. I actually turned it off.

On many highways it is not such a bother, but it doesn't really add anything to the utility of the autopilot.

That said... I recall the regular autopilot having some issues and one of the updates was a BIG improvement. I just got another update last night. Maybe it will be better now. lol