Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too much lumbar support even when deflated - driver's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2020 M3 and a 2021 MY. For some reason (the M3 is fine, but) I find the lumbar support in the MY way too excessive, even when completely deflated. The seat is extremely uncomfortable and causes pain in my lower left back. I had the exact same issue with in 2 other cars I owned (Honda, Mini) - so I know it is my personal problem... The Mini originally had a fixed lumbar support and what solved the problem was installing a lever-operated lumbar and taking it all the way off. So - I had to find a way to further flatten the MY's seat...

Solution: I removed the seat cover (many posts detail the steps) and then removed the 10mm bolt on the bottom of the yellow seat support. I then placed the yellow part on top of the metal bracket to allow it to move back and closed the seat cover. Now the seat has MUCH more "give" in the lumbar area. I drove the car a couple of times for short distances and the initial results are very encouraging.

IMG_4830.jpg

I own a 2020 M3 and a 2021 MY. For some reason (the M3 is fine, but) I find the lumbar support in the MY way too excessive, even when completely deflated. The seat is extremely uncomfortable and causes pain in my lower left back. I had the exact same issue with in 2 other cars I owned (Honda, Mini) - so I know it is my personal problem... The Mini originally had a fixed lumbar support and what solved the problem was installing a lever-operated lumbar and taking it all the way off. So - I had to find a way to further flatten the MY's seat...

Solution: I removed the seat cover (many posts detail the steps) and then removed the 10mm bolt on the bottom of the yellow seat support. I then placed the yellow part on top of the metal bracket to allow it to move back and closed the seat cover. Now the seat has MUCH more "give" in the lumbar area. I drove the car a couple of times for short distances and the initial results are very encouraging.

View attachment 746791
Could somebody please go into a more detail about what “placed the yellow part on top of the metal bracket to allow it to move back“ entails? Thanks!

View attachment 746791
Can you link to the post/instructions on how to do this?

I'm going to try this today on my Model 3. It's so frustrating to love a car but not be able to be comfortable in the seat. It was difficult too find this post so I'm commenting on hopes to bump it up so others see it. Will report back later on how I like this modification.

Can you link to the post/instructions on how to do this?
Do a Youtube search for how to remove the seat back. Basically you have to remove the headrest. Then, the back hard plastic cover pops right off, or at least the top part does and it hinges on the bottom. To remove the headrest you need to unlatch a metal clip at the base of each post, it requires some force to peel back the seat cover material at the base of the headrest but it's not too difficult.

Do a Youtube search for how to remove the seat back. Basically you have to remove the headrest. Then, the back hard plastic cover pops right off, or at least the top part does and it hinges on the bottom. To remove the headrest you need to unlatch a metal clip at the base of each post, it requires some force to peel back the seat cover material at the base of the headrest but it's not too difficult.
I'm going to try this today on my Model 3. It's so frustrating to love a car but not be able to be comfortable in the seat. It was difficult too find this post so I'm commenting on hopes to bump it up so others see it. Will report back later on how I like this modification.
Did you try it? I just receive my new Model Y and I hate how strong is the lumbar support

Did you try it? I just receive my new Model Y and I hate how strong is the lumbar support
I did try it, but I was not able to do what is described above. It did not seem possible to move the plastic piece that holds the lumbar bladder inflater to the other side of the metal piece. It did not seem like the plastic back cover of the seat provides enough room for the plastic piece to rest in the position shown. Maybe I just couldn't figure out how to do this, or maybe my 2023 Model 3 is built a little different from the 2021 Model Y.

I found a different solution, however. I took a 12x12 inch piece of 1/2 inch thick memory foam and added it inside the seat. Picture is below.

This does two things, it makes the upper back portion of the seat slightly less concave, for a flatter seat back, and it pushes your upper back slightly forward away from the headrest.

I'm still not crazy about the comfort of the seat, but I think it's comfortable enough. This is the only solution I've found that allows me to drive for awhile without thinking about how uncomfortable the seat is.

PXL_20240218_203612584.jpg

Reactions: Skavatar
Why did you chose a 1/2 inch foam? Did you try with something thicker as well?
1/2 inch memory foam was enough. I first tried 1/2 of a firmer foam, that was too much, at least for me.

That said, after driving with that modification I still wasn't satisfied with the comfort. The seat was still too firm without enough cushion or give in the lumbar area, while also now being a bit too firm in the upper area.

So, I went back to the idea in the original post. I removed the memory foam, and was able to figure out how to lift the plastic piece as the original poster described. Basically you have to remove the bolt at the base of the plastic piece, then wedge a screwdriver between the metal bar and the plastic piece. Then you can get some leverage to lift the plastic piece up. It doesn't seem easy at first. The plastic piece can't go in front of the metal bar, it needs to sit on top of the metal bar. A picture is below.

This is yet more comfortable than anything else I have tried. As a bonus, it doesn't just resolve the excessive lumbar support issue. It also slightly changes the angle of the seat back so that the headset isn't pushing your head as far forward.

I'm a little worried about safety in a bad crash, but not having a comfortable seat is really awful. I will report back when I have a chance to get more hours with this modification.

PXL_20240225_185019031.jpg

Reactions: Skavatar
So far it's been working fairly well. This is the best solution I have tried so far. Still not that happy with seat comfort though. Would love for there to be an aftermarket seat option. Or maybe an option to install the Highland seat in a 2023 Model 3, if that's more comfortable, although I haven't driven the Highland.

I would also love to try bending the headrest posts back as others have tried, but don't want to modify the car in any way that can't be undone. Also, I don't expect this would help much with the lumbar issue.

This has been a really weird problem to deal with. I'm not sure if the seat is uniquely uncomfortable compared to all the other many cars I have driven, or if the issue is that in other cars I rest my head on the headrest and use a more reclined position. I can't do that with the Model 3, because the suspension is so firm and the headrest is so firm.

In any case, aside from comfort the Model 3 is my perfect dream car!

Interesting. I might try this too—sometimes the lumbar support bothers me and other times it doesn't. Do you get any rattles from inside the seat after moving the plastic frame? Would it be worth putting some felt tape anywhere?

No rattles, but I still wasn't that satisfied with seat comfort. So, I tried sitting in the seat with the headrest removed and the other modifications un-done, and it was super comfortable after making the seat back more vertical. Conclusion: The headrest is the root problem. The headrest position prevents a sufficiently vertical position for the seat back, which makes it seem like the lumbar support is sticking out. Because with the seat back more reclined, but an upright back, you make contact with the seat at the lumbar area but not as much at the upper back area.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and bend the headrest posts. There is a video on YouTube where someone explains how to do it, but it's not as simple as I expected because I couldn't find a vice like the one they are using. Instead, i built my own vice (with help from my dad, thanks dad!). Pictures are below.

Parts needed:

12" long 1/2” diameter machine bolt (x4)
Nut (x4)
Large washer (x8)
16"x8" plank of wood, 3/4" thick (x3)
3' long steel pipe with 1/2" inner diameter (x1)
Towel (x1)

Now I am much more satisfied with the comfort of the seat! It seems like they designed the seat back based on back comfort, then they designed the headrest simply to meet crash test requirements. It just doesn't seem like they work together ergonomically.

PXL_20240303_233150234.jpg
PXL_20240303_233548536.jpg
PXL_20240303_233615420.jpg