Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too soon? 2020 S LR+'s 90% SOC already dropping after ~45 days of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
The pattern is clear, from my charges since delivery on 6/19, that the car's getting less range at 90% SOC, every time I charge to the 90% point. I've been logging things since purchase.

Car is 2078 miles on it right now.

The jump from 353 to 365 was the software update that bumped 100% to theoretic 402 miles that got all the press fanfare. But I only got 365 range for 90% that one time. Ever since, a steady decline.

Now, admittedly, we're talking a decline of merely ~1% in ~45 days. But I wasn't expecting that in the first 45 days. When I'm at day 90 will it be 2%? Day 180 at 4% Year 1 at 6%

Curious what other 2020 S LR+ owners are seeing.

90pct.png

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I appreciate it may not be relevant to LR+ but on previous batteries, typically most degradation happened earlier rather than later. I think you just need to monitor it . Also, people have suggested discharging battery to <10% and then charging to 100% to "recalibrate" the battery . I think this worked for me once but not more recently. I have 27k miles and 3.8% degradation (11 miles out of 294) on my late 2016 MS90.

The first year is the worst with most reports putting battery degradation in the %5 range give or take a percent. The 2nd year is about half of that and each year thereafter seems to be about 0.5-1% or so per year but also decreasing with each year.

If measuring your actual range, what SOC did you start from? 0%? 5%? 15%?

I typically get 350-355 miles for 90% of my battery when driving down to near 0%. I also recalibrate the range with a charge to 100%, once per month.
It also depends on your driving habits. I'm old school and drive conservatively. I drive speed limit +5 on the interstate. (75mph) I'm not one to punch it at every light either. I'm set to chill mode. Slower on long drives will get you more range.

90% of 400miles is 364miles. So if you drive under 60mph, that may get you higher than 364. I'd bet your chart is just showing your driving habits more than battery degradation. There are tools you can get to track battery efficiency vs mph that aren't affected by driving habits.

I am surprised this is uprising to the op.
5% degradation is pretty par for the course in the beginning before it levels off.
It's the same post repeated over and over by people who don't read degradation posts.

Imagine that, not reading degradation posts on a site that is inundated with thousands of posts and offers no facility for finding anything easily and quickly.

Tesla just recently announced with a ton of fanfare that its new Model S LR+ offers 402 miles of range. What they conveniently didn't announce is that it the car does 402 miles of range for about, oh, a week. Then it's 400 miles of range. A week after that, it's 399 miles of range. And so on. I've been a Tesla owner since 2013 and I still find that misleading on Tesla's part.

• Disagree
My Model S 85D battery range dropped a few percent in the first year but hasn't dropped since then. After 5 years and 86,000 miles, I'm only down 3.5%. I Supercharge frequently (free).
I wouldn't obsess about this. This is normal. (All ICE engines lose efficiency at a much greater rate.)
Relax and enjoy your car.

Imagine that, not reading degradation posts on a site that is inundated with thousands of posts and offers no facility for finding anything easily and quickly.
Wow. People on the Tesla.com forum rightfully complain about how primitive it is, with not having search, and tell people if they want a more full-featured forum with search and categories, where it's much easier to find things, to go here. If you can't find things here, you're not trying.

Reactions: Ostrichsak