Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery a week ago. Only one regret: should have gotten SubZero.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my relatively bare-bones 90D last Monday. Gray next gen seats, pano, metallic silver, that's it. My goal was range & performance instead of a loaded 60/75. Overall, very happy with the decision, except...

With the cold temperatures over the weekend here in the Bay Area, I realized I should have gotten SubZero. It's not even a luxury thing, it's about efficiency and range.

Yes, I'm stupid for not thinking this through. But I also feel like the name SubZero makes it sound too extreme or something. It's just plain old heated seats and steering wheel, the former of which my previous Chevy Volt had.

Moral of the story, get the Sub-Zero, it's only $1k.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
As @jelloslug pointed out, you still have heated front seats. So it's only heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, and wiper blade defrosters and heated washer nozzles.

The only thing from the subzero package I regularly use is the heated steering wheel. I'm not sure how much the wiper blade defrosters do or washer nozzles.

Also, the weather in San Francisco last week was far from Subzero worthy. You'll never need all the heatery it offers so long as you stay in the bay area.

Seconded.

Being in NH and not having the wiper defrosters in a car that is CLEARLY designed for the Bay Area is another story.

If you drive through a snow storm, the defroster melts the snow into slush, which hides behind the hood, so eventually your wipers start dipping themselves in slush, until they start collecting with the ice and now you get to stick your hand out the window to get the ice off.

Forgive me for the lack of sympathy, but I would have to concur, you're better off without the subzero package, in a place that never gets subzero.

Reactions: Xenius
Imho, subzero is worth it for the heated steering wheel alone, but we use it regularly for the kids in the backseat. At one point Tesla said they were going to come out with an app to allow the rear passengers to control the heated seats and optionally the stereo. It would be nice...

If resale is at all a concern, get subzero. You're excluding a pretty large market segment if your car doesn't have it. Of course if you always trade-in, do what you want.

Reactions: wesley888
It was -17 last night. Sub Zero isn't even optional for me. I hope it is adequate.

Tesla shouldn't even allow you to order a car w/o the subzero package in your area. "No, sorry. This impacts customer satisfaction and their view of our products. You either get the subzero package, or you can't order the car"

To OP:Sorry to hear about your regret, but definitely the package is worth it. Being in an area that gets all 4 seasons in full force, I would gladly pay the $1000 for just the heated steering wheel alone. The defrosting nozzles and wipers are just icing on the cake.

The big question would be - can it be retrofit. A lot of people will say no; but I don't think it's been tried. I know we heard the same on a bunch of VW/Audi/Porsche forums, and from dealers. Eventually we found all that was necessary was a steering wheel swap + enabling it on the computer (In some situations, a clock-spring or control stalk module was needed) but it was possible. The bad news, it still cost $500 on the cheap end using used parts; and well over $1000 buying new parts.

Reactions: wesley888
I plan on getting a loaded Model 3, except for Sub-Zero, and I live in MA. From its description, and my use-case, it seems to serve almost no purpose.

I work from home when it snows, effectively negating the need for heated wipers, which I've never had on any car.

I don't sit in my own back seat, and rarely drive than many people, and besides, I can pre-heat the car anyway.

The only feature I'd find mildly useful is the heated steering wheel, but again, I can pre-heat the car.

So, for the same price, would I rather have a 65" television or a heated steering wheel? :D