TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Took delivery a week ago. Only one regret: should have gotten SubZero.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by JimmyMcNulty, Dec 19, 2016.

1. JimmyMcNulty

JimmyMcNulty Member

Got my relatively bare-bones 90D last Monday. Gray next gen seats, pano, metallic silver, that's it. My goal was range & performance instead of a loaded 60/75. Overall, very happy with the decision, except...

With the cold temperatures over the weekend here in the Bay Area, I realized I should have gotten SubZero. It's not even a luxury thing, it's about efficiency and range.

Yes, I'm stupid for not thinking this through. But I also feel like the name SubZero makes it sound too extreme or something. It's just plain old heated seats and steering wheel, the former of which my previous Chevy Volt had.

Moral of the story, get the Sub-Zero, it's only $1k.

• Informative x 1
  2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

You have heated front seats standard.

• Like x 2
  3. Max*

Max* Banned

As @jelloslug pointed out, you still have heated front seats. So it's only heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, and wiper blade defrosters and heated washer nozzles.

The only thing from the subzero package I regularly use is the heated steering wheel. I'm not sure how much the wiper blade defrosters do or washer nozzles.

4. JimmyMcNulty

JimmyMcNulty Member

Y'all just made me happy again. Thanks!

5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Also, the weather in San Francisco last week was far from Subzero worthy. You'll never need all the heatery it offers so long as you stay in the bay area.

• Like x 1
  6. anthony

anthony Member

Seconded.

Being in NH and not having the wiper defrosters in a car that is CLEARLY designed for the Bay Area is another story.

If you drive through a snow storm, the defroster melts the snow into slush, which hides behind the hood, so eventually your wipers start dipping themselves in slush, until they start collecting with the ice and now you get to stick your hand out the window to get the ice off.

Forgive me for the lack of sympathy, but I would have to concur, you're better off without the subzero package, in a place that never gets subzero.

• Like x 1
  7. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Imho, subzero is worth it for the heated steering wheel alone, but we use it regularly for the kids in the backseat. At one point Tesla said they were going to come out with an app to allow the rear passengers to control the heated seats and optionally the stereo. It would be nice...

If resale is at all a concern, get subzero. You're excluding a pretty large market segment if your car doesn't have it. Of course if you always trade-in, do what you want.

• Like x 1
  8. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Cold is relative. When it gets below 60 we turn on those seat heaters.
    And Andrew, just use an old fashioned corded mouse in the front USB port and the kids can control the screen from the back seat. For better or worse.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Californians are adorable.

• Funny x 9
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. croman

croman Active Member

It was -17 last night. Sub Zero isn't even optional for me. I hope it is adequate.

11. Yinn

Yinn Member

Tesla shouldn't even allow you to order a car w/o the subzero package in your area. "No, sorry. This impacts customer satisfaction and their view of our products. You either get the subzero package, or you can't order the car"

To OP:Sorry to hear about your regret, but definitely the package is worth it. Being in an area that gets all 4 seasons in full force, I would gladly pay the $1000 for just the heated steering wheel alone. The defrosting nozzles and wipers are just icing on the cake.

The big question would be - can it be retrofit. A lot of people will say no; but I don't think it's been tried. I know we heard the same on a bunch of VW/Audi/Porsche forums, and from dealers. Eventually we found all that was necessary was a steering wheel swap + enabling it on the computer (In some situations, a clock-spring or control stalk module was needed) but it was possible. The bad news, it still cost $500 on the cheap end using used parts; and well over $1000 buying new parts.

• Like x 1
  12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My spouse loves using the seat heater almost year around in our "brutal" climate here in the SF Bay Area. ;) And she's Canadian! I rarely use the seat heater. We may consider purchasing the Subzero package on our next Tesla.

• Funny x 2
  13. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

IMO, it's fine without Subzero. It's -13ºC here today, and my biggest gripe is that the seat heaters don't come on until you actually get in the car. Heated steering wheel would be more important if Autopilot wasn't doing most of the driving ;)

• Funny x 2
  14. alexvirital

alexvirital Member

Almost got Subzero and Dual Motors, but I live in VA now, not MA, and when we get an inch of snow everything shuts down.

Besides, preheating while it's plugged in reduces so much need for Sub-zero. Sweet Odin's beard is that nice.

15. Alketi

Alketi Member

I plan on getting a loaded Model 3, except for Sub-Zero, and I live in MA. From its description, and my use-case, it seems to serve almost no purpose.

I work from home when it snows, effectively negating the need for heated wipers, which I've never had on any car.

I don't sit in my own back seat, and rarely drive than many people, and besides, I can pre-heat the car anyway.

The only feature I'd find mildly useful is the heated steering wheel, but again, I can pre-heat the car.

So, for the same price, would I rather have a 65" television or a heated steering wheel? :D

16. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

I got $1000 of value on delivery day while the DeS and I tested out the ventilated seats I roasted my wife in the rear. :D

17. Kutu

Kutu Member

I traded my 2014 Model S for a Model X and decided to get the sub-zero package mainly for the heated steering wheel. I might only use it a few times here in NE Florida but those few times will make it worth it

18. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

How cold does it get in Florida?

19. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Heated steering wheel is the bomb!

20. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

In north Florida it can actually on occasion dip below freezing. Rarely much further south, too (see: Space Shuttle Challenger)