Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery but now a 2 week wait for paint issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my new blue Model 3 AWD on Sept 21 at the IC. Unfortunately, there were some pretty glaring paint defects, 6 in total, all on different panels. Paint chipped on drivers door, and 8 inch section on top edge of rear bumper that was missing paint entirely, and variours globs or foreign objects along trim edges and roofline.

There was nothing Tesla technicians could do about the issues at the IC so they sent me to Budds Collision in Oakville to have issues corrected and provided me a rental.

Current timeline from the body shop is Friday for pickup, 2 weeks since delivery.

So my question now, is what do I look for when taking my car back?

I had it for less than an hour initially (really just the drive from the IC) and really didn't have a chance to check over the interior or wheels etc. What options do I have at this point if there are more issues?

I took delivery of my new blue Model 3 AWD on Sept 21 at the IC. Unfortunately, there were some pretty glaring paint defects, 6 in total, all on different panels. Paint chipped on drivers door, and 8 inch section on top edge of rear bumper that was missing paint entirely, and variours globs or foreign objects along trim edges and roofline.

There was nothing Tesla technicians could do about the issues at the IC so they sent me to Budds Collision in Oakville to have issues corrected and provided me a rental.

Current timeline from the body shop is Friday for pickup, 2 weeks since delivery.

So my question now, is what do I look for when taking my car back?

I had it for less than an hour initially (really just the drive from the IC) and really didn't have a chance to check over the interior or wheels etc. What options do I have at this point if there are more issues?
So I took my car to Leons auto body for paint repairs, and they damaged 4 parts of my car. I know it’s a different shop but just something to keep in mind. They damaged the interior leather on the passenger side door by the window, the chrome piece outside of both driver and passanger doors and they put oil stains on the pillars of my car.

They were only supposed to repaint the driver and passenger door and the full front. Just be careful as in don’t only check parts that they were supposed to fix, the employees could have damaged other parts of the car like mine.

Attachments

• 2E4A8552-0E2E-4351-AE15-0E96C400F7D9.jpeg
    2E4A8552-0E2E-4351-AE15-0E96C400F7D9.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 120
  • FA1B8E4F-5B6A-4E03-BAD3-7383FF50A46E.jpeg
    FA1B8E4F-5B6A-4E03-BAD3-7383FF50A46E.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 111
So I took my car to Leons auto body for paint repairs, and they damaged 4 parts of my car. I know it’s a different shop but just something to keep in mind. They damaged the interior leather on the passenger side door by the window, the chrome piece outside of both driver and passanger doors and they put oil stains on the pillars of my car.

They were only supposed to repaint the driver and passenger door and the full front. Just be careful as in don’t only check parts that they were supposed to fix, the employees could have damaged other parts of the car like mine.
Yes Leon’s did the same to my car. They had to replace the chrome and driver window as they left scratches on both. After they replaced the window I found more scratches on other windows. For a Tesla approved body shop, Leons is pretty bad

Yes Leon’s did the same to my car. They had to replace the chrome and driver window as they left scratches on both. After they replaced the window I found more scratches on other windows. For a Tesla approved body shop, Leons is pretty bad

Wow, ok, so re-check everything. I don't know how the two of you dealt with those issues, I would lose my mind...especially if they messed up my white interior!

I really hope there are no further issues as I would like to actually have the car in my possession for more than an hour and finally reschedule my plans for getting PPF and tinting done.

Thanks for the responses!

Yeah Leons is terrible. They were boasting how they got tesla approved recently blah blah and how packed they are. Well there’s only 2 in Ontario that I’m aware of that is Tesla approved and Leons is the worst.

Yeah Leons is terrible. They were boasting how they got tesla approved recently blah blah and how packed they are. Well there’s only 2 in Ontario that I’m aware of that is Tesla approved and Leons is the worst.
There are more than 2 approved paint shops in ontario. I have minor paint issues on mine, and got an email from Tesla today saying I could go to any of the below places. I'll likely end up at Buds since that is the closest to me:

upload_2018-10-2_14-16-45.png

upload_2018-10-2_14-17-17.png

I had a great experience at Excellence on Midwest. Totally customer oriented and great work. Incredibly refreshing experience after a lifetime of body shop horror stories. It’s the only place I will ever go for bodywork.

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

I could cry - dent in my 2 week old Model 3

Hey Yusuf, I am sorry to hear about your negative experience at our shop. Customer satisfaction is very important to us. Did you speak to anyone from management about your concerns? We could have looked into your concerns and figure out a solution. Also, the repair was supposed to take X amount of days based on the estimate and you wanted us to do the work in a shorter period of time. We are humans and mistakes happen. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help to solve some of your concerns. Do no hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,
Max

Hey Chow, I am sorry to hear about your negative experience at our shop. Customer satisfaction is very important to us. I understand that the trim and the glass could've got scratched during repairs and we agreed to get it fixed for you with no problem. The only thing is that I don't understand how there would be more scratches on other windows if we didn't even work on them? Maybe it was there and you just never noticed them?? Also, why would you say that we are a bad shop? Have you dealt with any other Tesla certified shops? I see no reason to call us a bad shop.

We are humans and mistakes happen. The most important thing is that it got fixed? We got everything done for you and looks like you are still not satisfied. Please let us know what we can do to make you happy.

Thanks,
Max

I apologize for saying that it is a bad shop. You guys did agree to fix everything that needed to be fixed and I appreciate that. But you guys just need to be extra cautious when working on vehicles so other parts of the vehicle don’t get damaged. I don’t know how the other windows got scratches But I accepted it

Hey Chow, I am sorry to hear about your negative experience at our shop. Customer satisfaction is very important to us. I understand that the trim and the glass could've got scratched during repairs and we agreed to get it fixed for you with no problem. The only thing is that I don't understand how there would be more scratches on other windows if we didn't even work on them? Maybe it was there and you just never noticed them?? Also, why would you say that we are a bad shop? Have you dealt with any other Tesla certified shops? I see no reason to call us a bad shop.

We are humans and mistakes happen. The most important thing is that it got fixed? We got everything done for you and looks like you are still not satisfied. Please let us know what we can do to make you happy.

Thanks,
Max

There are more than 2 approved paint shops in ontario. I have minor paint issues on mine, and got an email from Tesla today saying I could go to any of the below places. I'll likely end up at Buds since that is the closest to me:

View attachment 340120
View attachment 340121

I'll vouch for 427 Auto Collision in Etobicoke - not for a Tesla, but for damage repairs to another vehicle. They did an excellent job.

I apologize for saying that it is a bad shop. You guys did agree to fix everything that needed to be fixed and I appreciate that. But you guys just need to be extra cautious when working on vehicles so other parts of the vehicle don’t get damaged. I don’t know how the other windows got scratches But I accepted it

Oh NO ! It make me very scary now as I already scheduled with Leon's to replace my back roof glass + some paint fixing ? Hope they will pay extra attention this time ... I will post update once done !

Only advice I could offer is to take a before and after walkthrough video and hope you don't need it.

I took mine in to Mississauga SC to get the rear brakes squeak fixed and left with a mark on the passenger side silver Model 3 plate thingy. Unfortunately I didn't do a walkthrough so it's in the grey. They're suppose to get back to me about it after checking the work history on the car. I am hesitant to pursue it further as technicians in a rush to complete something will always likely bump into things with tools.

View attachment 340120
View attachment 340121

I know London isn't too convenient for most on this thread but Burwell Auto Body is top notch. All the people in London with expensive cars take them there.

Hey Mike, you forgot that we fixed your rear bumper that someone else damaged at no charge even though we didn't have to. A job like that costs about over $1000. There aren't many shops out there who would do that.

Oh NO ! It make me very scary now as I already scheduled with Leon's to replace my back roof glass + some paint fixing ? Hope they will pay extra attention this time ... I will post update once done !

Hey Mike, you forgot that we fixed your rear bumper that someone else damaged at no charge even though we didn't have to. A job like that costs about over $1000. There aren't many shops out there who would do that.

It is our first time dealing with Leon's. So far, the experience has been positive (hope it will continue when the actual work on the car starts). We contacted Tesla after Sept 8th delivery and they told us to go to any one of the shops in their list to get body shop related issues fixed before going back to Tesla service centre for non body shop related issues. We didn't know which shop to choose, so we went for the closest one -- Leon's. They assessed the car and did all the paperwork and legwork to get all the work order approved by Tesla (and they ordered the glass roof from California). My wife spoke to Max just now, and he immediately scheduled us for Oct 22 -- paint related work + glass roof replacement. They are obviously super busy (judging from the date), but that's ok... we'd rather wait and be slow to prioritize careful and detailed workmanship. After all, that is the whole point of bringing the car in for fixing. Leon's, we're counting on you!!!!

It is our first time dealing with Leon's. So far, the experience has been positive (hope it will continue when the actual work on the car starts). We contacted Tesla after Sept 8th delivery and they told us to go to any one of the shops in their list to get body shop related issues fixed before going back to Tesla service centre for non body shop related issues. We didn't know which shop to choose, so we went for the closest one -- Leon's. They assessed the car and did all the paperwork and legwork to get all the work order approved by Tesla (and they ordered the glass roof from California). My wife spoke to Max just now, and he immediately scheduled us for Oct 22 -- paint related work + glass roof replacement. They are obviously super busy (judging from the date), but that's ok... we'd rather wait and be slow to prioritize careful and detailed workmanship. After all, that is the whole point of bringing the car in for fixing. Leon's, we're counting on you!!!!

I am going to do my best to make sure everything gets done properly! :)

How come you are getting your glass replaced?