Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took Delivery of 2023 MYLR. Found issues with dirty hazy headlights and door closing. Reported within 24 hrs and <100 miles. What are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took Delivery of a new MYLR on March 31, 2023 from the Dublin CA delivery center. The car was built in Fremont 03/2023.
The exterior and interior were fine.
In the daylight it was hard to inspect headlights. When I came home I noticed that both the headlights have very visible dirty fingerprints on the headlamps inside. There is also a haze inside both of them.

I also noticed that the driver side door is a little hard to close fully. There is a marked difference between the driver door and the rest of the doors.

I have reported all these issues and created a service request, within 24 hours and under 100 miles. What are my chances of getting these fixed by Tesla, What do folks think about these issues and what Tesla has done in the past for people who have had similar problems?

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_9394.jpg
    IMG_9394.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_9395.jpg
    IMG_9395.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9396.jpg
    IMG_9396.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 2.25.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 2.25.00 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 216
Ok, I look the car the Berkeley CA service center on Gilman St.
They replaced the headlights. The new ones also have fingerprints but less than the original one. They said all headlights have this issue.
They also adjusted the door and now it closes fine.

They fixed these and created a great number of new issues!

After the picked it up from service today, the following is happening:
1. Autosteer is unavailable no matter what I do.
2. Pushing and pulling on left hand stalk does not switch on the high beams.
3. When using turn signals, the side and rear turn signal lights are blinking at 2-3x speed of normal but the front turn signal lights stays on solid.
4, When using emergency flashers the side and rear turn signal lights blink at the normal rate but the front ones remain off.
5. Headlights are not aligned, left points down and right points up.

A complete mess after the recent service today! You fixed one problem and created many!! Not ok.

The rear left door also seems to have some screw loose inside as it makes a metal rattling sound as if a loose object is rolling around inside, when you open that door.

Upvote 0
Be prepared for the "this is within spec" answer. At delivery, I noticed my passenger headlight was misaligned and pointed out that it needed to be fixed or I'd refuse delivery. Delivery rep conned me into taking delivery and telling me all I needed to do was create a service request and someone would come out to my house to fix it. She even stated that it was definitely misaligned, and she'd take a note of that.

Fast forward a few days and I take it in to get it fixed, only to be hit with "it's within spec. Can't do anything about it" response. Still living with it today.

Upvote 0
Ok, I look the car the Berkeley CA service center on Gilman St.
They replaced the headlights. The new ones also have fingerprints but less than the original one. They said all headlights have this issue.
They also adjusted the door and now it closes fine.

They fixed these and created a great number of new issues!

After the picked it up from service today, the following is happening:
1. Autosteer is unavailable no matter what I do.
2. Pushing and pulling on left hand stalk does not switch on the high beams.
3. When using turn signals, the side and rear turn signal lights are blinking at 2-3x speed of normal but the front turn signal lights stays on solid.
4, When using emergency flashers the side and rear turn signal lights blink at the normal rate but the front ones remain off.
5. Headlights are not aligned, left points down and right points up.

A complete mess after the recent service today! You fixed one problem and created many!! Not ok.

The rear left door also seems to have some screw loose inside as it makes a metal rattling sound as if a loose object is rolling around inside, when you open that door.
This reminds me of my first Tesla. They brought it in to fix cosmetic issues and made other things worse so much that I had to lemon law the car and won.

Upvote 0
I took the car to the Berkeley Gilman service center again, without appointment. I was kinda pissed off after this. They reinstalled the firmware. Apparently this is standard procedure after any lights related work. They said oh the car must have gone out of wifi range ... anyhow they did not do that during the service! If this is a required part of the process then at the very least ensure that this is done before you deliver the car. Saying that the service was done properly and that it is JUST a FW update issue is not cool at all. I should not have to run back to the service center and deal with it or worse wait for a very long time until I get yet another service appointment and then run after them.
Anyhow, the person handling the service was nice, I have to give them that. Not everyone is though. I have found that the site managers are not very careful about stuff like this. They are a little too careless about customers' experiences. I saw this at Dublin and at Berkeley. After the reinstall I am pleased to say that thankfully the headlights, high beams and the turn signals are normal.

Now got more issues that I have discovered:

- rattle in the headliner / passenger area is back (they had addressed this too the last time but I guess not really fixed still).
- one of the the back doors does not close properly, too much force is needed and the other one has a screw loose or something inside it!
- I suppose when they replaced the headlights, they had to take the frunk out. in the process they left a huge scratch and the cover for the stuff above the frunk was not closed and fastened back in properly, it is loose with all the clips unhinged!

ugh.

@N0SQL doesn't the lemon law pertain to the same exact issue not getting fixed after 3-4 attempts? Does it cover "too many issues"? What was your case and how do you lemon law a car - what is the process?

Last edited:
Upvote 0