Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery of Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just bought my first Tesla yesterday! White Model Y LR AWD. VIN 138245.

Had all updates except the headlights.

Took it for a spin yesterday and it does not disappoint! An excellent product indeed.

It did arrive with a couple scratches, so I set up an appointment for that. I'll do a further inspection today.
Congrats and welcome to the family!

Congrats and Enjoy! I took delivery four weeks ago. The next day i noticed what i thought was a five inch scratch on the hood. But close inspection with a magnifier showed it was some kind of substance (glue?) on the paint. So, i was able to wash it off with regular car wash soap and water. Hope your scratches are like that, or real minor....

As for mudflaps. I concur that most folks will want to install them. I have reviewed various threads and youtube videos on this. Essentially the MY front tire sticks out more than other Teslas, and so it tends to throw stuff up on the lower part of the doors. I learned this the hard way by driving on the freeway in a rainstorm three days after delivery. when i got home, i couldnt believe how dirty the sides of the car looked, and yes, found a few rock chips. so, i ordered the official Tesla mudflaps, but havent installed yet. Plan to do so manana.

As for mudflaps. I concur that most folks will want to install them. I have reviewed various threads and youtube videos on this. Essentially the MY front tire sticks out more than other Teslas, and so it tends to throw stuff up on the lower part of the doors. I learned this the hard way by driving on the freeway in a rainstorm three days after delivery. when i got home, i couldnt believe how dirty the sides of the car looked, and yes, found a few rock chips. so, i ordered the official Tesla mudflaps, but havent installed yet. Plan to do so manana.

Gotcha. Will buy when they are back in stock.

What other "must have" accessories are typically recommended?

Gotcha. Will buy when they are back in stock.

What other "must have" accessories are typically recommended?
I'm no expert on accessories. But, it seems that a Center Console Kit to cover up the glossy stuff is real popular. But, I suspect you dont have the glossy one. From your description it sounds like your console is the new non-glossy type. By they way, on mudflaps i am only talking about mudflaps for front wheels. I suppose you can get them for the rears too, but I am not that concerned about keeping the back end of the car clean.

Looking for a little advice.

Most of everything on the car is great. It did come with one minor scratch on a rear door however.

I just want to get a sense of this is something that most people would fuss over. I have an appointment to get this fixed, but this would involve driving to the center which is 45 minutes away and probably leaving the car there for a period of time.

I feel like returning the car and getting a new car has a same likelihood of getting a minor defect.

Looking for some wisdom! Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210301_155822.jpg
    20210301_155822.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 83

Most of everything on the car is great. It did come with one minor scratch on a rear door however.

I just want to get a sense of this is something that most people would fuss over. I have an appointment to get this fixed, but this would involve driving to the center which is 45 minutes away and probably leaving the car there for a period of time.

I feel like returning the car and getting a new car has a same likelihood of getting a minor defect.

I wouldn’t reject the car, but would definitely attempt to get that fixed.

Reactions: tapotti

If i am seeing your photo clearly, it looks like the edge of the door is missing paint for about 2/3 inch. Perhaps the door was opened by someone and hit a wall. This is the kind of thing easily fixed with touch up paint. I have done so on a couple of my Teslas over the years. If i were you i would just buy the official Tesla touch up paint and do it myself. saves alot of hassle of going to and from the service center.. and it doesnt have to look absolutely perfect. Just so the silver metal isnt showing and the white touch up color is reasonably close to the paint on the door. Once you have done that i doubt you (or anyone else) will notice that there was a ding there. at one time. Heck, you might do a better job of painting that ding than the service center folks! And you may find that having touch up paint on hand will come in handy when other dings/chips happen.

That chip on the door edge is the easiest of all do-it-yourself auto paint repairs. I recommend TouchUpDirect.com.Their touch up kit for the Tesla Pearl White Multicoat (Code Tesla - PPSW (TUD calls this color Shasta White) was a very good match on my vehicle. You need the kit with three applicators: Base coat, Midcoat and Clear coat. You can get the kit that contains also the primer but the chip on your door edge does not require primer. It will be practically invisible when you are finished using the touch up paint. No one else will ever notice it.

Last edited:
tapotti - today another thread says the mudflaps are back in stock: Model Y Mud Flaps
I did install mine yesterday. The only strange thing was that the holes in the plastic of the wheel well did not line up well with the holes in the metal behind. so, wasnt sure if the new screws that came with the flaps would go in. but, they went in easy. Maybe the 'misalignment' is part of the design so the new screws have a tight fit! Other than that the install was quick and easy. I did turn the steering wheel slightly so the tire didnt get in my way too much.