Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery of my CPO Model S today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Boourns

Mar 9, 2016
Dallas
Well, today was the day I honestly thought would never come. I took delivery of a Model S. It's a pearl white classic 85 bought as a certified preowned. Build date 12/15/12. No tech package, obviously no AP, textile seats, but it's still the most incredible car I have ever owned or driven. It does have air suspension!

The CPO process was super easy, even with the added complications of buying in Texas. My bank is even titling and registering the car for me. If anyone has questions about the CPO process I am happy to answer them.

The delivery process was great. Everyone was extremely helpful and excited for me. Literally no difference in how they treated me and a family taking delivery if a P90D Model X.

I'll post my thoughts on the Dallas service center in that thread.

Overall, couldn't be happier. Thanks to everyone here who helped me out answering questions (and to those who will answer the ones I'll have later!). I hope I can pay it forward a little. Here are a couple of pics and a bonus pic of a refreshed S in titanium metallic.

IMG_20160514_121148.jpg IMG_20160514_181728.jpg IMG_20160514_120939.jpg

Oh wow! It's gorgeous. Congratulations!

Was it a local CPO or did it ship from another SC? If it shipped, was it shipped first, then inspected and reconditioned in Dallas? And how long was it between putting down your deposit and delivery?

Thanks all. It was shipped from a SC outside Chicago and reconditioned in Dallas. I placed the deposit on April 29th, so it took right at 2 weeks. The CPO adviser gave me a window of 2 to 4 weeks originally.

Thanks all. It was shipped from a SC outside Chicago and reconditioned in Dallas. I placed the deposit on April 29th, so it took right at 2 weeks. The CPO adviser gave me a window of 2 to 4 weeks originally.
How long from it being shipped to the day you picked it up? I placed my deposit on April 29th as well, as was told it will ship sometime this upcoming week.

How long from it being shipped to the day you picked it up? I placed my deposit on April 29th as well, as was told it will ship sometime this upcoming week.

I am not sure when exactly it went onto the truck. My understanding is that Tesla inspected it at the service center near Chicago and then shipped it to Dallas to be re-conditioned locally since my service center was able to get it more quickly. It couldn't have taken more than a few days in transit given the relatively short turnaround for the whole process. I do know it's a third-party shipping company, so Tesla doesn't have exact control over the situation. My DS said he only gets the date of arrival and not the time. He emailed me the day before the car arrived in Dallas.

A couple further notes:
  • Holy crap this car is quiet and smooth. I had test driven a Model S a couple of years ago, but I really had forgotten what a pleasant place it is to be.
  • Where do you all keep your J1772 adapter ? I would like to keep it up near the front of the car so I don't have to open up the hatch to charge at a public station, but there doesn't seem to be good place to put it so it won't roll around.

Where do you all keep your J1772 adapter ? I would like to keep it up near the front of the car so I don't have to open up the hatch to charge at a public station, but there doesn't seem to be good place to put it so it won't roll around.

Some of the older models have a spot in the glove compartment where you can store your J1772 adapter. I don't know when that feature went away but you might take a look at the left rear of your glove compartment and see if there's an indentation where the adapter will fit.

Special spot in glove compartment -- for J1772 adapter?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Boourns
Some of the older models have a spot in the glove compartment where you can store your J1772 adapter. I don't know when that feature went away but you might take a look at the left rear of your glove compartment and see if there's an indentation where the adapter will fit.

Special spot in glove compartment -- for J1772 adapter?

Awesome, thanks! I looked in the glove compartment but probably not closely enough to see this. I would presume my car has it given the fairly low VIN.

I honestly am not exactly sure. I know that if you have problems Tesla will do what they can to fix them. The expectation was set that the car will be clean and in good shape, but that I should expect and be OK with things like a rock chip that has been filled in. My car is certainly not flawless; I bought a 4-year old car with 50k miles after all.

I think if you had a problem that couldn't be fixed to your satisfaction you could transfer your deposit to another CPO and maybe just get a refund outright. For what it's worth, the CPO adviser I worked with, Brent, said he had about 3 outright rejections the whole time he's been doing this, which is the beginning of Tesla's CPO program.

Thanks for the info- the wait is killing me. I keep having dreams that I hit the accelerator and its is super slow since I got a 60, and that my range is super low and I gotta get somewhere. Ha.
The 60 is plenty fast, and range is great. I drove one for 3 years, and made a number of road trips. One last year from Tampa to Boston and back! No issues at all with range, it just meant longer charging stops, and no skipping chargers.

I sold mine to a TMC member here in FL, and he and his wife are now enjoying it immensely! Now if only my new one would get here already...!

Awesome - glad it worked out well for you!

How were the tires? My car has 44k miles so I'm hoping it will have a fresh set.

Placed my deposit May 4th and being told early to mid June to have the car in CT (being serviced in Colorado). Would love to see the car sooner!

The 60 is plenty fast, and range is great. I drove one for 3 years, and made a number of road trips. One last year from Tampa to Boston and back! No issues at all with range, it just meant longer charging stops, and no skipping chargers.

I sold mine to a TMC member here in FL, and he and his wife are now enjoying it immensely! Now if only my new one would get here already...!
Thanks! That does makes me feel better. I'm actually not really worried that about it in the daytime, just coming out in my dreams...most importantly, with a 2yr old and newborn, and seemingly surrounded by distracted/selfish/impatient drivers all the time, I can't wait to own the safest car on the road.

Thanks! That does makes me feel better. I'm actually not really worried that about it in the daytime, just coming out in my dreams...most importantly, with a 2yr old and newborn, and seemingly surrounded by distracted/selfish/impatient drivers all the time, I can't wait to own the safest car on the road.

That was a strong motivator for me (and #1 for my wife). We have an 18-month old son, and I just had this huge feeling of relief yesterday morning when I buckled him in his car seat in the Tesla versus our old Mazda3. You will be very happy with it.

My tires are either new or very close to new. The tread is great, and they still smell a little like that new tire smell.

Congrats Boourns! It's beautiful!

As far as tires, my experience: I asked the DS when I picked up my car and he told me they were new, but without much conviction. There was a little scuff on one and the treads weren't pristine as they had to roll it off the truck. I took it to my tire guy and he verified - brand new! (though the rears were manufactured a year ago) There is a clause in the CPO contract that states the minimum tread depth before they will give you new tires.

Well, today was the day I honestly thought would never come. I took delivery of a Model S. It's a pearl white classic 85 bought as a certified preowned. Build date 12/15/12. No tech package, obviously no AP, textile seats, but it's still the most incredible car I have ever owned or driven. It does have air suspension!

The CPO process was super easy, even with the added complications of buying in Texas. My bank is even titling and registering the car for me. If anyone has questions about the CPO process I am happy to answer them.

The delivery process was great. Everyone was extremely helpful and excited for me. Literally no difference in how they treated me and a family taking delivery if a P90D Model X.

I'll post my thoughts on the Dallas service center in that thread.

Overall, couldn't be happier. Thanks to everyone here who helped me out answering questions (and to those who will answer the ones I'll have later!). I hope I can pay it forward a little. Here are a couple of pics and a bonus pic of a refreshed S in titanium metallic.

View attachment 176615 View attachment 176616 View attachment 176617

@Boourns,

Congrats!!! I'm shopping as we speak.....glad the CPO 'experience' was as seamless and enjoyable as I anticipate.

What would be your most important, knowledgeable 'takeaways' from your CPO experience to us CPO newbies? I.e. Anything to look for, watch out for, or to make it more seamless/recommendations or advice?

Enjoy your new Model S!!! :)

Skione65