Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery of new M3, with HW3, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I took delivery of my Model 3 Performance last week, simply the best car I've ever owend by any measure. Absolutely love it. My first post here, don't worry, I know this topic has been covered a lot on this forum. I've researched it, but couldn't find the information I needed.

I wanted to figure out if my vehicle came with HW3 installed. Delivery was a bit chaotic and the delivery staff couldn't tell me if it was installed or not. I've researched online and checked my vehicle, but I'm a bit confused. First, a couple of details about the vehicle:

Model 3 Performance (EU version)
FSD not purchased
Production date: 07/2019
VIN: 420XXX
Software: 2019.32.2.1

In my research I've found the following indicators:
1. Production date (later than april 2019)
2. Partnumber on the computer (should give definitive confirmation)
3. Codec of video for TeslaCam (H.265 used to indicate HW3, but everybody seems to be back to H.264 now)
4. Software version (seems highly disputed if this actually tells you anything)

My results:
1. Production date of late july 2019 = positive
2. Partnumber on computer is 1462554-01-H = positive (matches HW3 partnumer in EPC)
3. Codec of video is H.264 = inconclusive (see above)
4. Didn't really bother researching this very much

So the conclusion should be: my vehicle has HW3 installed, based on the production date and partnumber. However, I'm not so sure. Check out the images: it clearly shows the 'right' partnumber on the sticker, but the date and partnumber (1465773-01-D) stamped on the computer seem to indicate production was way before introduction of HW3 (17/12/18). There's also another sticker on the computer that shows yet another partnumber (1527963-01).

I couldn't find any further details on the other partnumbers or what the date is supposed to mean. Is it even a date?

Any feedback is highly appreciated, thanks!

2.jpg
1.jpg

Think all S&X come with HW3. Model 3 has it only if you order FSD.

This is a very fluid situation, and subject to change, but thought this was how it was working currently.

No reason or benefit for HW3 in Model 3 unless configured with FSD>

I don't think that true.
I remember reading somewhere that ALL TM3's with production date post late March'19, got HW3.
Tesla had simply stopped sourcing HW2 components.

I think the OP should have HW3.

a

I don't think that true.
I remember reading somewhere that ALL TM3's with production date post late March'19, got HW3.
Tesla had simply stopped sourcing HW2 components.

I think the OP should have HW3.

a

That was the general intent. But there have been a few recorded instances of more recent Model 3s built with AP2.5 when they didn't option FSD - presumably a response to the supply situation, either a shortage of AP3 computers or an extra batch of AP2.5 ones to use up.

Think all S&X come with HW3. Model 3 has it only if you order FSD.

This is a very fluid situation, and subject to change, but thought this was how it was working currently.

No reason or benefit for HW3 in Model 3 unless configured with FSD>

Elon clearly said all Model 3 would receive the FSD computer as standard. This makes sense, because the FSD computer is cheaper to produce, retrofitting is expensive and it simply makes the vehicles future-proof. That said, I also did see some (mostly SR/SR+) M3's that still had the HW2.5 installed after april 2019. I agree with you that things can change, but in general almost all Model 3's should have the HW3/FSD computer, regardless if FSD was purchased at order.

I see more people claiming that HW3 has no benefit if FSD is not purchased. This might be true now, but the FSD computer allows for much more complex operations with an enourmous amount of overhead. This will be noticable even if the vehicle is not configured with FSD. Functions like TACC, Autosteer, general vehicles awareness and even Speed Assist can benefit from HW3.

This is my reason for this thread: I have a M3 available that must have HW2.5 because it was produced in early 2019 (part numbers also match HW2.5) and we think we can already see a difference between how both vehicles react in certain situations. This might be placebo, so I want to make sure this vehicle actually has HW3.