Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took Delivery of our 2015 CPO Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully, you all appreciate our CPO story. We took delivery of a Metallic Blue 85D Model S with, next-gen premium interior, Air suspension, panoramic roof, autopilot V1, cyclone 19-inch wheels and most importantly the rear seats (we are a family of seven).

We picked the car up in Marina del Rey and drove it back to Texas over a three-day road trip. The delivery center in Marina Del Rey was very professional. Our flight arrived early and even though they weren't able to deliver the car earlier than our scheduled appointment, they comped a Lyft for us and we went to lunch and explored the area. Then we had the craziest Lyft driver I've ever had in my life bring us back to the delivery center. (Thats a whole other story)

The pictures of the car from our used car representative told a very accurate story about the condition of the car. The few scratches and dents were detailed thoroughly. They actually over delivered because the drivers side leather seat looked worse in the picture than what was there in real life. They also showed curb-rash on all four wheels and it is nowhere to be seen when we picked up the car. I don't know if it was just road tar or if they fixed the wheels, but they were perfect when we took delivery of the car.

The car had about 170 miles in the "tank" when we picked it up which was no big deal since there are so many superchargers available around the LA area. We easily made it to our next destination.

Our used car representative, Saber, was awesome. As long as you are fine communicating by email, you can get all the info you want. It just can take a few hours at times. I think I only talked to a real human being once during the entire process.

My understanding is the used car regional representatives cover a pretty big region (like multiple states). I also had to remind myself that they have only been selling these cars since 2012 and dealing with used cars is a relatively new thing for Tesla. I think we have to cut them some slack as they figure out the best way to deal with used car buying customers. Keeping those two things in mind, I was pleased with my experience

The 1400 mile drive to Texas was pretty uneventful. Autopilot made the long stretches extremely comfortable. We were even able to work in a quick hike at Joshua Tree National Park and check out Mastodon Peak. For Noobs, I think we did alright judging charging times and distances between superchargers. The toughest run was between Van Horn and Ozona, Texas along IH-10 at 227 miles. We charged to 98% and as we left, Model S told us to keep in under 65 mph to make it to our next supercharger. We engaged autopilot at 1 car length and tucked in behind a semi doing 75 mph. We made it to the next supercharger with 17 miles left in the battery bank. The temperature was 96 degrees and we put the AC on 76 for that leg of the journey.

Over the course of the trip, we discovered a few things that needed to be fixed. The trim around the automatic truck button was broken and the ambient light under the driver's side armrest wouldn't come on. We scheduled a service appointment when we arrived in Texas and they fixed everything without issue in about 6 hours. They also found that an animal was trying to nest under the plastic around the frunk and cleaned the leaves and straw out of that. We'll keep an eye out for any unwanted visitors. I imagine that happened before we picked the car up though because it's been in a closed garage since we arrived home. Also, our car was dropping amperage when we tried charging on our newly installed 14-50 NEMA outlet that we installed the week before we took delivery in our garage.

We did everything to spec so I wanted them to check out our UMC that came with the vehicle. It seemed like it was getting pretty hot to me during charging. The tech said that the UMC was building up resistance during charging and that is why the car was dropping amperage during charging. They replaced that free of charge.

He also mentioned that he saw 243 or so volts initially when the car first started charging and it would drop to 235 or so after it built up to 30/40 amps. That was normal for the car to drop but he said the initial voltage shouldn't be above 240. He said that could signify a problem with our 14-50 NEMA outlet but we've been charging at 30/40 amps for the past 4 days with no issues. I'll keep an eye on that. (I set the car at 30 amps just to be on the safe side.)

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the experience. Now that they fixed everything that we found during the delivery drive, the car is practically brand new. Just a few scratches here and there and some slightly worn leather for a car about 30% below initial price. It still has a 4 year/ 50,000-mile warranty just like the new car. Let me know if you have any other questions.

image000000.jpg

Congrats !!! Nice car and story ..that is definitely the way to get rid of range anxiety ..do a long run between SCs like you did ;)

Yeah. I think it was a great way to break in the car. I think it was a good thing that we were so new that we didn’t really have time to dwell on the fact we didn’t really know how far the car could go.
My 16 year old son flew with me and it was pretty much a dream trip for him. (Though it’s so cliché, he had to drive it down Rodeo drive, so we did.)
We trusted the estimates the car gave us and everything worked out fine. I think my lurking around here before we bought gave me the confidence to make the trip. Great communities here!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA