TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Took delivery on Saturday! Small nitpicks, no major issues.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by arathald, Jul 5, 2018.

1. arathald

arathald Member

I just took delivery of my MX P100D, Victoria, on Saturday morning. She was a test drive car with 7600 miles at $21k off.

Things I love about my experience so far:
    • The SC was rushed at pickup, and made me aware of this, but they still made sure I got the time I needed to take a look over the car before signing off.
    • I decided the 20" wheels were more practical than the 22" wheels the car came with. They let me have the car with the 22s without charging me for them, and they'll swap in for the 20s later.
    • This is a car with real personality. I loved my last car (a 2017 Outback 3.6R Touring), but it was basically a dumb oaf with a bunch of raw power and some nice design details. Obviously, Victoria has much more raw power, but she's also wickedly smart.
    • I got someone mad at me the first time I tried out passing in Ludicrous mode on a 2-lane country highway. Clearly just jealous :)
    • The glances I get when I drive by, or pull into a spot, or especially when I open the FWDs.
    • Great range. I'm very aware of my energy usage, but not at all anxious about it.
    • This is basically a sports car with lots of cargo space and a command driving position, and drives like it (SO much fun).
    Now, not everything is perfect. There's a few nitpicks I have about the experience, fit-and-finish, design, and software:
    • I found that Tesla and their partners were less communicative than I would have liked, given that I had 9 days from order to delivery - I had to keep on top of them myself to keep things moving. That said, it was clearly crunch time for them going into the end of Q2, and this was a staffing/workload issue. Everyone I worked with was amazing and did a great job of getting things done in time, even if I felt a little anxious about it.
    • There's a slight rattle from the driver's side falcon wing door and from the driver's side sunshade when I'm traveling above 65mph or on rough roads. I'll be having the SC take a look when I have a chance.
    • Rear visibility feels more like a sports car than an SUV (cameras and sensors significantly make up for this in practice)
    • Sometimes, she misremembers the seat back setting for both my profile and easy entry, and ends up putting the seat back all the way forward, which is very uncomfortable.
    • I found a couple of spots on the freeway where she thinks the speed limit is briefly 30 or 35 mph.
    • The second row of seats does feel a little basic - I'd like to see things like being able to fold the seats down from the trunk, and I wish the bench was set further back or had a bit of room to slide back to increase legroom.
    • Paint isn't perfect - there's a small scrape on the bottom of the driver's side FWD and hard water spots on the hood, in addition to minor swirl marks on the body. That said, it looks fantastic for a test drive car with 7600 mi, and it'll cost quite a bit less than the $21k I saved to get a proper detail, maybe even a full ceramic coating or wrap.
    • Charging at home is Level 1. Manageable as I don't drive to work every day, and when I do, I've got access to an L2 charger there. But still less than ideal, and I'm working on this (I rent, but I've got a great landlord).
    Overall, the positives, many of which are (currently) unique to a Tesla, far outweigh the slight issues I've noticed. This is an amazing car, and I don't regret getting it for an instant.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Congratulations. Given that you received an inventory car, how was there any time between ordering and delivery? Was it at a different service center?

3. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

4. arathald

arathald Member

Yes, it was in Vegas, had to be shipped to Seattle. Apparently they're not currently charging a transport fee for that route.

5. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

can i have your spare wheels? i'll pay freight...

6. arathald

arathald Member

They're not spare, I don't get to keep the 22s. If they do somehow end up letting me keep them after the swap, I'd probably be amenable to selling them for a good price ;)

7. Peteybabes

lol, i tried...i actually really want the 20's check out this old article i found about the massive range loss!

Tesla Model S and Model X: Here’s how wheel size can affect efficiency

8. arathald

arathald Member

Woah, 23.3% difference between 22s and 20s? I knew it was a factor, but I didn't realize how much. If that's really the case, once I'm on the 20s I should end up being able to get way more than the rated range when I need to.

Edit: Maybe I should read the whole article :)
    Looks like it's closer to 10-15%, but that's still very significant.

9. Peteybabes

well tesla said 10-15%, but the furthest i've ever driven in my car (249 rated range) is 187 miles and i drove for 8 miles on 0%...

once i get 20's i should at least be able to hopefully get 210 miles. (i was driving at 75-77MPH until the end when i was doing 55-60)

10. arathald

arathald Member

What kind of efficiency are you getting? Even on the 22s, I've been able to get the rated range pretty easily so far when I try (even if it's more fun to drive less efficiently...)

11. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I took delivery of test drive car after only one person drove, it had 22" but I bought the 20" like you, they later got swapped. Same range reason, and tire wear, and flat risk etc....

12. Peteybabes

under normal around town driving i'm at 400-450wh/mi+ when i recently did a 1500 mile trip to the east coast i was able to get to around 320wh/mi which was amazing to me (i also had almost no tread on my tires...)

• Informative x 1
  13. Peteybabes

21000 miles on my 22" Goodyear tires and replacing them today...

14. arathald

arathald Member

So far I’ve been averaging 398, but for most of that I wasn’t trying to drive efficiently. 320 does sound a good bit better. I’d be interested to see how you fare on 20s.