Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery Sunday - initial impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After waiting an entire year (placed order Aug 2021, modified order Sept 2021), I finally took delivery of my Y this weekend.

Here were my first impressions:

Went to look at the car and had my entire checklist from MIke Seuss.

1) immediately saw gaping panel gaps. Rep was useless, said no mechanic in. schedule a service call. Not even sure if I should - perhaps leave it alone?
2) scratches on plastic lower fender. Have to let it go.
3) everyone else seemed to be in and out in 15 min. I was the only one on my hands and knees inspecting every inch of the car going down the Seuss checklist. Took me 2 hrs before even I gave up. What's the point if they cannot fix the problem then and there?

4) the frunk closing mechanism sucks. Feels like you need both palms and all my body weight to get it to close. The thin metal pops easily too.
5) ditto the doors. Sheesh, these doors are flimsy. I'm used to BMW, Merc vault like doors. 70% of the time, they don't close right requiring a redo and a slam.
6) navigation - cmon man, why can't Tesla do a first person perspective, with clearer lane selection, and turn directions? I ended up driving home with my iphone's google maps.
7) my Otterbox defender phone case is too thick to induction charge. Too bad cause that case has saved my phone countless times.
8) 12 miles on odo at delivery
9) white interior is gorgeous. It's so white it hurts the eyes. Seriously though, how long before the bottom turns grey with my SoCal sweaty as s imprint?
10) autopilot works great. Hard to trust it but after a few miles, it's pretty sweet!

I'll need more miles in this thing but all in all, I'm pretty lukewarm about the car at this point. Maybe my expectations were too high?

1) immediately saw gaping panel gaps. Rep was useless, said no mechanic in. schedule a service call. Not even sure if I should - perhaps leave it alone?
Definitely make a service appointment for this. My car didn't have huge gaps but they can definitely make this better.
4) the frunk closing mechanism sucks. Feels like you need both palms and all my body weight to get it to close. The thin metal pops easily too.
Might need an adjustment here. Mine doesn't seem that hard to close.
5) ditto the doors. Sheesh, these doors are flimsy. I'm used to BMW, Merc vault like doors. 70% of the time, they don't close right requiring a redo and a slam.
After some time the seals seem to loosen up and it becomes easier to close the door properly.
6) navigation - cmon man, why can't Tesla do a first person perspective, with clearer lane selection, and turn directions? I ended up driving home with my iphone's google maps.
You can change this, just like any other navigation system.
7) my Otterbox defender phone case is too thick to induction charge. Too bad cause that case has saved my phone countless times.
I don't think your huge case can induction charge on any charger. Not a Tesla issue.
Same here, but they drove it to my house in San Jose from Fremont, so it's expected
9) white interior is gorgeous. It's so white it hurts the eyes. Seriously though, how long before the bottom turns grey with my SoCal sweaty as s imprint?
I got the black interior due to this concern.

After waiting an entire year (placed order Aug 2021, modified order Sept 2021), I finally took delivery of my Y this weekend.

3) everyone else seemed to be in and out in 15 min. I was the only one on my hands and knees inspecting every inch of the car going down the Seuss checklist. Took me 2 hrs before even I gave up. What's the point if they cannot fix the problem then and there?

10) autopilot works great. Hard to trust it but after a few miles, it's pretty sweet!

I'll need more miles in this thing but all in all, I'm pretty lukewarm about the car at this point. Maybe my expectations were too high?
wow what about everyday chris' checklist

Re the Otterbox Defender case when I spoke with Otterbox support I asked about wireless charging compatibility. Otterbox told me that they recommended the Commuter case for use with wireless charging. The iPhone SE2 with Commuter case charges with no issue on the wireless charging pad in my 2020 LRMY. Until getting the MY I had always use the Defender case but after 2 years I have had no damage to my iPhone using the Commuter case. (Defender case is squishy on the outside with a hard skeleton. Commuter case is squishy on the inside with a hard exoskeleton. Only downside is the Commuter case can more easily slip out of your hand, pocket and slides on hard surfaces.)

The hood is aluminum (please correct me if I am wrong), which reduces a lot of weight. You don't do the two hands method shown in the manual. Instead, you press right below the T emblem with your palm.

Your list from #4 to #10 is all on you meaning you are supposed to test drive and experience before you commit to buy the car for those things you listed.
Also, you will get scratches on those plastic trim pieces during your first month of use anyway and no one will notice but you.

As others mentioned above, it looks like you want to go with the legacy EVs with better panel gaps and less hardware/software performance.

I think you have the same experience of anyone actually looking at their car. There are going to be issues, they're not going to fix it right then. You can't even leave it there. They have been getting better though...
The frunk is pretty weird and thin feeling....as are the doors...you get used to them though and they feel normal. Essentially if you touch the sides of the doors near the edge, you notice very quickly how thin they feel...and it feels pretty cheap...
The door not closing means they're misaligned...they can fix this pretty easily but I'm with you, you shouldn't have to.
Navigation takes a bit of getting used to, you can change views but it will never be like Google maps on your phone or Carplay. It is fine though..it provides lane selections and turn directions.
The otterbox and white interior is on you :). I like the white too..but longer term I didn't think this would work out...

Reactions: Manbutter
The hood is aluminum (please correct me if I am wrong), which reduces a lot of weight. You don't do the two hands method shown in the manual. Instead, you press right below the T emblem with your palm.
I use the two hands method mention in the manual. Works well. Tesla recommends this due to the hood being aluminum & easier to warp than metal. Why aluminum? Reduces weight of car which means battery provides more range in addition to better acceleration,,etc.

Reactions: Manbutter

From all of your previous posts trying to sell the car before you got it I’m not really surprised by your review. Just do as you said and sell it to your friend and you’ll find a car you can afford that your happy with.

For all the small thing that may be wrong with our 2020 April build Model Y, I can't get enough of being behind the wheel. There is something about how it handles. Love the small steering wheel. Lean angle is minimal. Can't get enough pushing down on the pedal and letting it rip.

Reactions: Zalick and RNHurt
The frunk is awkward but it shouldn't take a lot of pressure. The doors shouldn't take much pressure either. I think those issues should/could get fixed.
When I first got my Y, I wouldn't close the doors with enough force, and it was half closed. I think it's because of the frameless windows, that there is more rubber weatherstripping to ensure a tight seal. My past cars all had framed windows and were easier to close. But once I got used to closing with a little more force, it's all good now.