Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery Sunday - initial impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After waiting an entire year (placed order Aug 2021, modified order Sept 2021), I finally took delivery of my Y this weekend.

9) white interior is gorgeous. It's so white it hurts the eyes. Seriously though, how long before the bottom turns grey with my SoCal sweaty as s imprint?
White interior cleans easily with warm. soapy water, or just plain water. My daughter has had her white-interior Model X for 6 years, four boys now 6 to 13, no problems with cleaning it, ever. Looks new. Of course, none of us drives naked, though I did live in SoCal for a while.

When I first got my Y, I wouldn't close the doors with enough force, and it was half closed. I think it's because of the frameless windows, that there is more rubber weatherstripping to ensure a tight seal. My past cars all had framed windows and were easier to close. But once I got used to closing with a little more force, it's all good now.
My MYP has no misalignment as far as the doors go, and they just close by themselves when I let go from about 18" of opening. As soon as the doors pass the last door check points (I think MY/MYPs have 3 door check positions), they just close with its own weight and momentum. No extra effort is needed.

Reactions: Manbutter
Appreciate everyone’s thoughts and comments. Especially the constructive ones. I did test drive the car a year ago but how much can you really learn about a car in less than an hour?

It feels like pickup is intentionally pressure-filled. No real immediate solutions other than - schedule a service. What can you do really? Reject delivery? At the prices we’re paying compared to today, I wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled the entire order and sold the car to someone for $70k instead of $60k.

On the panel gaps, I’ve heard many say that fixing them makes others worse or loosens up a lot of the panels. The rep also said they’re “within spec”. Must be their favorite phrase.

As I said, I’ll need to drive this car a lot more to get a feel for it and maybe begin to overlook the initial negatives for the positives.

My MYP has no misalignment as far as the doors go, and they just close by themselves when I let go from about 18" of opening. As soon as the doors pass the last door check points (I think MY/MYPs have 3 door check positions), they just close with its own weight and momentum. No extra effort is needed.
Really? Then something is definitely wrong with mine. Short of a strong push or pull, it doesn’t latch properly. Maybe some lubricant and usage will grease it up?

I think you have the same experience of anyone actually looking at their car. There are going to be issues, they're not going to fix it right then. You can't even leave it there. They have been getting better though...
The frunk is pretty weird and thin feeling....as are the doors...you get used to them though and they feel normal. Essentially if you touch the sides of the doors near the edge, you notice very quickly how thin they feel...and it feels pretty cheap...
The door not closing means they're misaligned...they can fix this pretty easily but I'm with you, you shouldn't have to.
Navigation takes a bit of getting used to, you can change views but it will never be like Google maps on your phone or Carplay. It is fine though..it provides lane selections and turn directions.
The otterbox and white interior is on you :). I like the white too..but longer term I didn't think this would work out...
You’re totally right, with the doors open, looking at the edges and the metal stamping, it looks like cheap sheet metal. I think they did this for weight savings but this should not be on a luxury car. I hate to keep bringing it up but my BMW 328i has these doors that feel solid and has a great mechanical CLUNK to it. Kinda like a well-oiled rifle assembly. The Tesla door closing sounds like a clang.

Re the Otterbox Defender case when I spoke with Otterbox support I asked about wireless charging compatibility. Otterbox told me that they recommended the Commuter case for use with wireless charging. The iPhone SE2 with Commuter case charges with no issue on the wireless charging pad in my 2020 LRMY. Until getting the MY I had always use the Defender case but after 2 years I have had no damage to my iPhone using the Commuter case. (Defender case is squishy on the outside with a hard skeleton. Commuter case is squishy on the inside with a hard exoskeleton. Only downside is the Commuter case can more easily slip out of your hand, pocket and slides on hard surfaces.)
I considered the Commuter case but I love the Defender. It’s saved my hide so many times. I just don’t love it when I’m trying to induction charge or trying to fit it into the DJI drone controller. Requires removing from case.

Holy $#&*$(#*(!

I hope you rejected the car and walked away. You're never going to be happy with a Tesla.
It’s hard to walk away at that point. You’ve paid the full price. Arranged the insurance. Let the Uber go.

Heck, the rep even before I got to see the car tried to get everyone there to accept delivery on their phone. Most probably did.

Truth be told, there isn’t much you can do at that point. Unless it has a giant hole in the door or something, you take it and just hope they can fix it at a service center.

White interior cleans easily with warm. soapy water, or just plain water. My daughter has had her white-interior Model X for 6 years, four boys now 6 to 13, no problems with cleaning it, ever. Looks new. Of course, none of us drives naked, though I did live in SoCal for a while.
This is good to know. Like most people, haven't decided white or black on our next one. I really love the look of white. Even the black seats get dirty and need to be cleaned.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts and comments. Especially the constructive ones. I did test drive the car a year ago but how much can you really learn about a car in less than an hour?

It feels like pickup is intentionally pressure-filled. No real immediate solutions other than - schedule a service. What can you do really? Reject delivery? At the prices we’re paying compared to today, I wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled the entire order and sold the car to someone for $70k instead of $60k.

On the panel gaps, I’ve heard many say that fixing them makes others worse or loosens up a lot of the panels. The rep also said they’re “within spec”. Must be their favorite phrase.

As I said, I’ll need to drive this car a lot more to get a feel for it and maybe begin to overlook the initial negatives for the positives.
It's possible that your particular car does have issues, but from the sum total of your original post and this post, it really seems like you just have a bad case of buyers remorse. It really reads like you just wanted the BMW, but couldn't / wouldn't buy it. Your solutions at this point are:
1) Have service fix what is really (actually) wrong with the car, and accept it's not what your were really wanting (BMW).
2) Sell it, buy the BMW
3) Drive it and enjoy it for the pure driving experience that Only a Tesla has. Best DCFC charging network, Best Software, class leading performance.

Good luck with your decisions....

This is good to know. Like most people, haven't decided white or black on our next one. I really love the look of white. Even the black seats get dirty and need to be cleaned.
My kids are 6 and 3 and tons of spills and all sorts of bio hazard stuff attack my white seats, but they are very easy to clean with minimal effort. just use wet rag/microfiber towel.

You’re totally right, with the doors open, looking at the edges and the metal stamping, it looks like cheap sheet metal. I think they did this for weight savings but this should not be on a luxury car. I hate to keep bringing it up but my BMW 328i has these doors that feel solid and has a great mechanical CLUNK to it. Kinda like a well-oiled rifle assembly. The Tesla door closing sounds like a clang.
This isn’t really a luxury car. Also, it’s not apples to apples comparing to ICE vehicles. Those cars don’t worry as much about weight because they can just burn more gas. Range is king in the EV world.

It’s hard to get over spending $60k+ and not thinking of it as a luxury vehicle. But if you change your frame of reference and think of it as a performer/tech vehicle it might help with perception.

My MYP doors require slightly more force to close than my previous car. I’ve had it 6 days now and just this morning I closed the rear passenger door and it only partially closed. I’ve read many posts that this is a hinge tightness thing and it loosens up.

This isn’t really a luxury car. Also, it’s not apples to apples comparing to ICE vehicles. Those cars don’t worry as much about weight because they can just burn more gas. Range is king in the EV world.

It’s hard to get over spending $60k+ and not thinking of it as a luxury vehicle. But if you change your frame of reference and think of it as a performer/tech vehicle it might help with perception.

My MYP doors require slightly more force to close than my previous car. I’ve had it 6 days now and just this morning I closed the rear passenger door and it only partially closed. I’ve read many posts that this is a hinge tightness thing and it loosens up.
I agree it isn't really a luxury car. You're paying for tech and the advanced battery tech. My doors also required more force to close, but I think it's as combination of the seals and eventually my muscle memory just learned to provide more force. In my Sienna which is traditional framed windows, I just let go of the door and provide zero additional force and it closes just fine.