Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery today 33k Vin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Waterloo, ON - Tesla quoted me 16k for trade-in and I see the same year/mileage on Autotrader for high 20's. Blackbook quotes 16-21k for a trade-in so if I can get them to move to the mid-point then the hassle of selling privately can go away.

Yeah their trade in values vary a lot but they don't negotiate as far as I know. They probably just put it out for bids and let you know the highest they get, so it's really dependent on interest from trade buyers. In my experience BMWs can have some pretty costly issues out of warranty so I'm not surprised if a sight-unseen price is low. If it's a clean car then a private sale should work out better if you're up for the hassle.

Fit and Finish were good not great, the tail lights need some attention. The advisor kept adjusting the hartch like it was going to solve it but it never did. The A-Pillar needs to be repainted and the rear fender and possibly the trunk due to a bubble in the paint. Their body shop is 1000% sure they can match it all no problem.. What do you guys think??? I LOVE the car it drives fantastic. The interior is in good shape, the real panel in the back seat doesn't sit flush but besides that it's good. I will post photos later today.

Just identify the issues, get them resolved, and enjoy the car!

Reactions: richyrich
Also something to note: If you have a loan, figure out how long it takes for them to release the lien and then for your state to release the title.

Example: In Texas (using BOA), it takes BOA 8 days to confirm receipt of the payment. After those 8 days, they will electronically release the lien. It then takes the state 10 days to get you your title (assuming no delays). So that is a minimum of 18 business days till you will be able to sign over a title to the new buyer.

Just something to consider so you can all plan accordingly if private selling
Good point. I'm selling my daughter's Jeep Grand Cherokee and sent in the title and release note to NJ MVC on June 23 (offices were still closed at that point). They haven't even cashed the check yet....

Paint issues are a no-go for me. Have you ever had a car that has been repainted? There is no paint like factory paint.

I have always been a believer of this too, that factory paint is always better than what a body shop could do. Factory paint seems to chip much less and aftermarket paint jobs can fade over time.

But we're talking about Tesla, and while I don't own one yet, their paint quality seems to be less than the best. Paint is thin and uneven, and as we've seen with white MYs, the paint is mismatched and/or splotchy.

And then there is this:

So, if I were to take delivery of my (ordered) MY, and Tesla offered to have it completely painted at a shop of my choice, I'd give that some serious consideration. hahahaha