Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery today but experience is less than stellar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to give a quick update. I took the car in last Wednesday and Jack from service was very courteous, he listened to my concerned and marked all the areas of concern with tapes, he said the car will stay for a couple of days but he gave me a 2016 Model S 85D loaner (it's quick but I still prefer my SR+). Again he said there is nothing they can do about the paint chips, which I decided to just accept it. Last Friday I picked it up and all the major issues have been fixed, the front bumper was adjusted, rear passenger door now align nicely, two rear passenger glass now match (more or less). There is still an uneven gap between the driver side rear quarter panel and the bumper, they took the bumper off and made an attempt to adjust it but there is still a visible gap, again not a huge issue I've decided to let it go. Overall I'm satisfied with how it turned out, my service adviser Jack has been more than helpful in resolving this issue.

I would have rejected it. I'm a little OCD, and the defects would have bothered the #@$% out of me. The chips on the frunk are deep and on the edge. If it was more inner or less pronounced, then it wouldn't be a big issue.. The door can be adjusted.
Personally, this i deem as a luxury vehicle, and she be held to those standards at least.

You're a little OCD? You have deep anxiety and dread feelings attached to ritualistic behaviour that inhibits you from doing day to day tasks?

Or do you mean you like things nice and tidy?

Just want to give a quick update. I took the car in last Wednesday and Jack from service was very courteous, he listened to my concerned and marked all the areas of concern with tapes, he said the car will stay for a couple of days but he gave me a 2016 Model S 85D loaner (it's quick but I still prefer my SR+). Again he said there is nothing they can do about the paint chips, which I decided to just accept it. Last Friday I picked it up and all the major issues have been fixed, the front bumper was adjusted, rear passenger door now align nicely, two rear passenger glass now match (more or less). There is still an uneven gap between the driver side rear quarter panel and the bumper, they took the bumper off and made an attempt to adjust it but there is still a visible gap, again not a huge issue I've decided to let it go. Overall I'm satisfied with how it turned out, my service adviser Jack has been more than helpful in resolving this issue.

Maybe they have learned painting statistically creates more problems than fixes with poor color blending etc. or other mishaps in the paint shop.

I still think they should apply the touch up kit for you or compensate you with say 1000 miles of free supercharging. Just as a good faith effort. Handing you the Touchup kit is admitting it’s not right.

You're a little OCD? You have deep anxiety and dread feelings attached to ritualistic behaviour that inhibits you from doing day to day tasks?

Or do you mean you like things nice and tidy?

I don’t think I’m as OCD as many here. And I see some pretty silly rejects. But those gouges right down to raw aluminum would bug me too. It’s not like a missed spot around a hinge. That was damaged after painting. I probably would not reject it. I’d be pissed if they did or offered nothing. In the end I’d fix it myself. But I’d be really ticked if my low experience touching up made it worse.

I think the OP did the right call here. It’s up to him if he wants to try to touch up. A lot of good detailers or scratch/dent places can apply the kit for you, often with more experience and reasonable price. Like a $100. Might be worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Missed the point, and I am being maybe a bit sensitive...but it's annoying when people misquote OCD as the like for tidiness. It's anything but.....

As for the car, I would not except those paint gouges as it would really hurt resale.

Yes, we get your point. OCD can be debilitating and can have a significant impact on quality of life. Using the term to describe someone who is bothered by minor defects on their car is making light of the seriousness of the condition for many people.

They totally should, also include instructions to adjust door strikers or reattaching bumpers. Come to think of it, software companies rush out releases to have bug fixes later, why not have the customers finish the car after delivery, both hardware fixes and software patches.