Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ek993

Jun 19, 2018
CT
Went armed with my 25 page checklist, paint depth gauge... just kidding....

Took delivery of my X at 2pm today from Mt Kisco SC in New York. Place was very busy with a tiny car park so double / triple parked blocking in a few cars (as many other cars had too). Walked in and they struggled to find records of my pickup today. Eventually a very young, very shy girl came to meet us - she said my DS had taken the day off today so would be looking after us.

Took us into the workshop area where they have a small space allotted for vehicle presentations. She opened the key box and one of the fobs fell straight onto the concrete workshop floor! No damage or scratches miraculously. As the car is for my wife I asked the girl to take her through the tour. She honestly spent around an hour with us giving us incredibly comprehensive walkthrough of not only how all the doors / trunk / frunk / charging works - but around 40 mins inside the car going through literally every single configuration option in the MCU - as well as setting up a driving profile for her, pairing both our phones and setting up the Tesla mobile app. She knew about the car in great depth - more than any Porsche / Range Roger / Jaguar salesmen I have dealt with has. Expectations more than exceeded.

I had a good look around the car in the workshop - everything was remarkably well aligned. Having seen many photos on this forum I was expecting to have a lot of remediation work needed. Really, there is nothing in terms of alignment or trim.

It was time to take it home, my wife drove it back and I followed in my Jaguar F Type. Still don't think the X is a good looking car but I think it will grow on me.

Once home and the sun was out I had another detailed look around. Here is the punch list so far:

1. Biggest issue - there is a fairly large flat / discolored spot in the paint on the front bumper. Didn't see it until the car was at home in direct sunlight.

2. One FWD is a bit droopy - it doesn't open as high as the other

3. I tried opening one of the FWD while standing it front of it to demonstrate to my wife they won't cause injury and have sensors. It didn't sense me. It literally knocked my backward.

That's it so far. Will keep tracking punchlist items this weekend and get it booked into the SC for its first visit. Hoping it won't need the bumper to be repainted

3FDFFC10-B6FB-4191-9269-963C6C6C5700.jpeg
D7B28251-0C27-4455-995F-1EAD591FDC6A.jpeg
Couple of photos of the paint defect

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Found another paint defect / discoloration / flat spot on the front wing. Looks like something dripped onto both the bumper and front wing as it was drying. Anyone had similar? Disappointed as don’t want to have paintwork on a brand new car.

Found another paint defect / discoloration / flat spot on the front wing. Looks like something dripped onto both the bumper and front wing as it was drying. Anyone had similar? Disappointed as don’t want to have paintwork on a brand new car.

Front wing ? You mean rear spoiler ? Can we see pics ?

Grats!

I had a few minor paint issues, but not like what you're mentioning. Definitely debris stuck in the paint, which would need paint correction but it's all minor. Most of the "damage" has been on my chrome and plastic trim. If it doesn't bother you too much, and you don't want to take it in to have paintwork done already, maybe you should just leave it alone?

I guess it depends on how much you think it's going to bother you.

Front wing ? You mean rear spoiler ? Can we see pics ?
Sorry - think you guys call it the front fender? I’m a Brit that’s been living here in US for 8 years, haven’t quite learned all the terms yet! I do know what we call the boot you call the trunk!

Will take a photo of the newest paint defect discovery tomorrow

Sorry - think you guys call it the front fender? I’m a Brit that’s been living here in US for 8 years, haven’t quite learned all the terms yet! I do know what we call the boot you call the trunk!

Ok that’s different that area probably more noticeable..I was thinking the back spoiler ..thanks I learned another new term today wing= front fender ;)

yes the boot is the "trunk"

Which is funny because Brits still call the "frunk" the "frunk" which is short for front "trunk." I guess theres no good amalgamation of "front" and "boot" hahaha

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Congrats on delivery! FWD story is pretty funny.

I am curious though, anyone recently taken delivery and NOT had to schedule a service appt for an issue right away?

I did not. I had no issues I was worried about. But I am not super critical when it comes to things like panel alignment and such as long as it does not cause wind or water leaks, or rattles.

FWIW, I just checked the body panels of the X against my 2 BMW 3s. The X is better.

Reactions: spectrum