Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took Model S delivery last night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ThosEM

Space Weatherman
Dec 13, 2013
Annapolis, MD
Hi,

I'm here to learn from those who've had their Model S longer than we have. I'm a NASA rocket scientist, working in Greenbelt MD, living in Annapolis. My daily commuter is a 2008 BMW 328ic with stick. I've been watching Tesla closely since the roadsters debuted in 2006(?), waiting for an eCar I could use. My wife works in Crofton MD as a project manager for InstallNET (connecting installers with furniture manufacturers). With two incomes, three self-supporting adult daughters, and having downsized our home by a third this year, we could see our way to ordering an expensive car, and given that, it had to be a Tesla rather than a Jag, Merc, Maserati, or other gas guzzler. We sold the six year old Lexus RX400h family SUV and took the plunge. The Model S is the first car I've ever had made to order, so I now have my dream of a dark green sedan with tan interior. Being able to keep tabs on it with an iPhone app is the proverbial best thing since sliced bread...

Ours has the panoramic roof, the super sound system, the smart suspension, the grand baby seats, and the 85KWH battery, but not much else. We are looking forward to annual vacation treks to Maine, which will be facilitated when the New Jersey superchargers come on line, along with northerly ones in NH or Maine.

Great to have a forum for this vehicle!

Tom Moore

Welcome to the club! You have, no doubt, studied that MS for years, but will be amazed with all that you'll learn about it. I'd suggest that you join your local Tesla Club (under Groups on TMC), get to know fellow owners, met the people at the local service center, always hand wash, start with long day trips, and ask lots of questions on TMC. Be well!

Welcome to driving an EV!

One suggestion I make, after doing this myself over the summer - now that you have your EV, look for an excuse to go out on a road trip. It can be an out and back with a single charge required away from home, or it can be more extensive. The key is to get away from your garage and put yourself into a position where you need to charge "somewhere else". The Model S and the Supercharger Network makes that particularly easy, but the preparation you do for the trip and then the doing of the trip, will help expand your view of what's possible. That trip to Maine you mentioned is an excellent example.

You might soon discover that you are driving more than you have in the past, that the idea of a Sunday drive in the country is appealing, and that road trips are a joy - not a chore :)

I will add my welcome to the others. the advice found here is invaluable. The discussions can get heated, but I attribute that to the fact that we love our Model S's for different reasons. If I could earn my wages for each hour I have spent reading what others here have written I could have paid for my Model S a LOOOOONG time ago. The good news is you can always get every question answered. The bad news is only SOME of the answers are correct :tongue:.

The good news is you can always get every question answered. The bad news is only SOME of the answers are correct :tongue:.

Thanks! I'm prepared to do some filtering, having spent a fair amount of time on BMW forums trying to figure out various glitches. The great thing is being able to share, because almost any issue will have been encountered by someone else who is posting here!

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I need a minimum number of posts to get an avatar and signature? Well, here's another...

Ours is eco-green, with tan interior. I have wanted a Jaguar in this color combination forever, but Tesla took over that ambition...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the personalized plates that my daughter Whitney and her BF came up with are: 1P21GW. Get it?

My wife just got a 2011 BMW 535i and no way would I like to drive that as a daily driver. Just plain sucks to drive compared to the S. Interior comforts are about the only thing nicer in it. Super jerky shifting for an automatic and lags for having 300hp. Definitely not the ultimate driving anything. Brakes seem pretty good

Congrats & excellent choice over an antique car!