Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took Model Y Delivery Today (9/17) - Positive Tesla Story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share my experience with Tesla and how it was fairly positive despite some twists and turns.

Originally ordered a MYLR MSM/Black/20inch/5seat/notow/nofsd on 7/25, completing my profile the same day. Being a hawk watching the EDD for the next ~6 weeks, started to see it get delayed multiple times. Since it was nearing EOQ and hearing that Tesla dumps demos and other new cars into existing inventory to raise quarter numbers, I started watching the inventory site and eventually found an exact demo match on the other side of the country on 9/7. Quickly submitted the order fee, got an EDD of around a week out, and finalized loan/financing doing the whole DCU rate match process to get a great rate with Wells Fargo. Got a text to schedule delivery and set it up for 9/18.

On a whim, I called into Tesla on 9/16 because I needed to make some adjustments to my delivery date (committed to help someone move) and they shared the car hadn't even left yet. Ummm, can't take delivery in Columbus on 9/18 if the car isn't even on the way. She shared that the initial inspection found major curb rash on 2 of the wheels that they wouldn't fix and wanted my approval to still ship the car since I would be paying $2k for the transport fee. Asking her what would happen if I would say no, she shared that she could look at available inventory close to me and see if something would match what I was looking for or basically go back into the queue and wait for one to be built from the factory. I ended up allowing her to release the car back into inventory and taking a gamble on what I could find in the near vicinity (I was thinking Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Indianapolis were the best options). We talked a little bit about preferences (color, wheel, interior color, etc.) and she was able to match me with a MYLR MSM/BlackWhite/20inch/5seat/tow/nofsd that was also a demo car here in Columbus. We scheduled delivery for the next day (today) and she advised that Columbus would call if there was any damage upon inspection. I was on pins and needles the whole night but didn't get a call. Called back in this morning to make sure no damage was noted and everything was in the green. Picked up today and couldn't be happier. I took some quick looks around the car and honestly if I didn't know it was a demo, it would have fooled me.

The only gripe with the whole process I went through was nobody reached out with the curb rash damage report and I didn't learn about it until I called in to check on my delivery. Outside of that, everything else went well. Now just need to get a wall charger installed and I'm good to go.

Attachments

• 49F8E7EA-F499-491D-8117-2D3BF2655BFB_1_105_c.jpeg
    49F8E7EA-F499-491D-8117-2D3BF2655BFB_1_105_c.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 225
Wanted to share my experience with Tesla and how it was fairly positive despite some twists and turns.

Originally ordered a MYLR MSM/Black/20inch/5seat/notow/nofsd on 7/25, completing my profile the same day. Being a hawk watching the EDD for the next ~6 weeks, started to see it get delayed multiple times. Since it was nearing EOQ and hearing that Tesla dumps demos and other new cars into existing inventory to raise quarter numbers, I started watching the inventory site and eventually found an exact demo match on the other side of the country on 9/7. Quickly submitted the order fee, got an EDD of around a week out, and finalized loan/financing doing the whole DCU rate match process to get a great rate with Wells Fargo. Got a text to schedule delivery and set it up for 9/18.

On a whim, I called into Tesla on 9/16 because I needed to make some adjustments to my delivery date (committed to help someone move) and they shared the car hadn't even left yet. Ummm, can't take delivery in Columbus on 9/18 if the car isn't even on the way. She shared that the initial inspection found major curb rash on 2 of the wheels that they wouldn't fix and wanted my approval to still ship the car since I would be paying $2k for the transport fee. Asking her what would happen if I would say no, she shared that she could look at available inventory close to me and see if something would match what I was looking for or basically go back into the queue and wait for one to be built from the factory. I ended up allowing her to release the car back into inventory and taking a gamble on what I could find in the near vicinity (I was thinking Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Indianapolis were the best options). We talked a little bit about preferences (color, wheel, interior color, etc.) and she was able to match me with a MYLR MSM/BlackWhite/20inch/5seat/tow/nofsd that was also a demo car here in Columbus. We scheduled delivery for the next day (today) and she advised that Columbus would call if there was any damage upon inspection. I was on pins and needles the whole night but didn't get a call. Called back in this morning to make sure no damage was noted and everything was in the green. Picked up today and couldn't be happier. I took some quick looks around the car and honestly if I didn't know it was a demo, it would have fooled me.

The only gripe with the whole process I went through was nobody reached out with the curb rash damage report and I didn't learn about it until I called in to check on my delivery. Outside of that, everything else went well. Now just need to get a wall charger installed and I'm good to go.
Congratulations on your new MY. I hope you'll be as happy as I am with ours. And thanks for the great post.

Congratulations on your new MY. I hope you'll be as happy as I am with ours. And thanks for the great post.
You're welcome and so far so good! Hopefully my firmware update shows up soon but it sounds like from other posts that could be a month or so away despite it being a demo car. Trying to get all the options set the way I want and accessories installed. Quite a process for a car.

I am picking up a DEMO car tomorrow. I hope I have the same experience having no issues on the car. I didn't get a call about it having any damages only a text confirming contactless pick up.

I'm picking up a demo myself tomorrow, although I'm not canceling my factory order until I've driven off in it :) The SA did tell me up front that there was some curb rash, even sending me photos. Seems like something relatively easy to fix, so I'm OK with it. The demo is the same as my factory order, but with a tow hitch.

I'm picking up a demo myself tomorrow, although I'm not canceling my factory order until I've driven off in it :) The SA did tell me up front that there was some curb rash, even sending me photos. Seems like something relatively easy to fix, so I'm OK with it. The demo is the same as my factory order, but with a tow hitch.
It’s nice you were able to get pics. I think that would have helped me assess how bad their definition of “major” actually was.

I didn't cancel my original order either! I did place it on hold only because my EDD kept getting pushed out from September to end of October..my significant other might take my original reservations and probably upgrade it performance model though. We shall see. My mother is looking to get a tesla y too.

You're welcome and so far so good! Hopefully my firmware update shows up soon but it sounds like from other posts that could be a month or so away despite it being a demo car. Trying to get all the options set the way I want and accessories installed. Quite a process for a car.
Thanks, and if you haven't already done so, check out TeslaShields mats. I'm very happy with mine, and just ordered a cargo cover.

I didn't cancel my original order either! I did place it on hold only because my EDD kept getting pushed out from September to end of October..my significant other might take my original reservations and probably upgrade it performance model though. We shall see. My mother is looking to get a tesla y too.
Picked the car up on Friday, and was an excellent experience at the Renton, WA location. The SA let me poke around the car as long as I wanted to; I went through The Checklist (at least everything I could test with a parked car) with no issues. They repaired the reported curb rash, which was a pleasant surprise :) Other than that, I only found two barely-notable scratches in the clear coat, and a scuff on the charge port cover. I'm getting a ceramic treatment which includes touchups, so presumably they'll take care of those then.

Picked the car up on Friday, and was an excellent experience at the Renton, WA location. The SA let me poke around the car as long as I wanted to; I went through The Checklist (at least everything I could test with a parked car) with no issues. They repaired the reported curb rash, which was a pleasant surprise :) Other than that, I only found two barely-notable scratches in the clear coat, and a scuff on the charge port cover. I'm getting a ceramic treatment which includes touchups, so presumably they'll take care of those then.
I picked up my car on Friday too! At the Marina Del Rey, CA location. Service was top notched, the SAs let me asked all the questions and they were extremely helpful. There was curb rash on the rear (not reported) and SA said make an appointment and they will fix it. There was nothing available until October. I am overall really pleased with the DEMO car. It even still had the new car smell.