Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took my car to a local garage and they took it for a spin...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why drop the car off for a simple fix. I'd wait with it and oversee the guys.
My local tire shop owner said "I'm afraid to drive your car." (I think the implication was "I'm afraid to drive a car that expensive".) He insisted that I drive the car into the bay and oversee the tire change myself.

So, you know, totally different attitude. I like my local tire shop. :)

My local tire shop owner said "I'm afraid to drive your car." (I think the implication was "I'm afraid to drive a car that expensive".) He insisted that I drive the car into the bay and oversee the tire change myself.

So, you know, totally different attitude. I like my local tire shop. :)

Which tire shop is that? THATs the one I want to go to. Most places won't let you drive in or out of the bay or even be in the bay citing safety reasons.

Thanks for posting, Footbag. I'd say that video is pretty damning. Not sure there's anything illegal being done there, but certainly I'd feel violated if I were you.

If you *really* want to stick it to them, take that video to a local news outlet. Then again, that might lead to consequences that are more serious than you'd like.

It might be enough for them to learn their lesson to send their management a link to the video...

Why drop the car off for a simple fix. I'd wait with it and oversee the guys. You know they would want to drive it. You could have told them up front that you put it into "slow mode" so they would not even consider driving it and doing a launch. Also, when dropping it off, explain you have the mileage and there is NO REASON to drive the car other than back it out of the bay. By not setting boundaries, we set ourselves up for abuse.

It is not the responsibility of the customer to babysit the professionals, or to go in there treating them like they are children laying down ground rules that are clearly understood by the virtue of it being a business. The responsibility lies exclusively with the garage and those that own it and work there. A diligent customer would ask around, get a referral from friends or family, check online, and otherwise do some basic inquiries to protect themselves from blatant nefarious businesses, but after that it's all on the professionals to do their best work and behave in an appropriate manner.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure they were trying to open the frunk to see the engine, etc.

LOL!

At least the driver signaled when changing lanes. :tongue: Yep, I would say the OP was exceedingly nice.

It is not the responsibility of the customer to babysit the professionals, or to go in there treating them like they are children laying down ground rules that are clearly understood by the virtue of it being a business. The responsibility lies exclusively with the garage and those that own it and work there. A diligent customer would ask around, get a referral from friends or family, check online, and otherwise do some basic inquiries to protect themselves from blatant nefarious businesses, but after that it's all on the professionals to do their best work and behave in an appropriate manner.

Agree. This is pure unprofessionalism, plain and simple--and disrespectful to the customer. At the very least, those involved should be disciplined. At worst, should be fired.

Having been on the receiving end of this, it definitely doesn't feel good.

Video compiled and posted...

Valet mode did it's job. I didn't see anything special in that video. Driving around for a new TPMS sensor test is pretty normal. When I rotate tires (summer->winter tires or winter->summer tires), the computer always needs the car to be driven for a few kilometers before it detects TPMS signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valet mode did it's job. I didn't see anything special in that video. Driving around for a new TPMS sensor test is pretty normal. When I rotate tires (summer->winter tires or winter->summer tires), the computer always needs the car to be driven for a few kilometers before it detects TPMS signal.

Yes, valet mode ensured the mechanic didn't go tearing up the street. However, I fully believe he never should have punched it. Further, I had told the shop not to worry about resetting the TPMS, that I would take care of that. Not that I mind the test drive for that purpose, but to push the car on the test drive, not cool.

The manager quickly emailed me back (after hours) in response to my video, indicating he terminated the employee. Harsh or justified, everyone will have their own opinion I'm sure. Still need to get the car lifted to take a look under the body for any damage, hopefully I can do that tomorrow before a road trip.

While I appreciate those that said never let a mechanic (other than Tesla) touch the car, and certainly not without supervision, sometimes that isn't always practical (with Tesla being a long ways away for some of us). I did do my own wheel swap out of an abundance of caution, and to 'be one with the car' and learn a bit lol, but in this case, I figured that talking to the shop twice about what needed to be done and my concerns that it is a unique car before they touched it, and leaving a diagram of the jack points, was covering my bases.

Yes, valet mode ensured the mechanic didn't go tearing up the street. However, I fully believe he never should have punched it. Further, I had told the shop not to worry about resetting the TPMS, that I would take care of that. Not that I mind the test drive for that purpose, but to push the car on the test drive, not cool.

The manager quickly emailed me back (after hours) in response to my video, indicating he terminated the employee. Harsh or justified, everyone will have their own opinion I'm sure. Still need to get the car lifted to take a look under the body for any damage, hopefully I can do that tomorrow before a road trip.

While I appreciate those that said never let a mechanic (other than Tesla) touch the car, and certainly not without supervision, sometimes that isn't always practical (with Tesla being a long ways away for some of us). I did do my own wheel swap out of an abundance of caution, and to 'be one with the car' and learn a bit lol, but in this case, I figured that talking to the shop twice about what needed to be done and my concerns that it is a unique car before they touched it, and leaving a diagram of the jack points, was covering my bases.

Great story and video. Hopefully no harm done but he was clearly trying to give it the gears, so to speak. All of us in Alberta have a similar problem. I have actually used my brother in law a couple of times (he has an independent auto shop) and "in2oil"s well equipped garage most recently. The TPMS sensors need the tires taken off the rim if I'm not mistaken. Last time I took it to the brother in law, I forgot to leave him the key having parked it in the shop I already had it ready in jack mode etc. so in the end there was no real reason to enable it for him. I came back and drove it away. He seemed disappointed. :smile: Maybe that is another tactic (I didn't do it on purpose). Tell them to call you when they are ready to drive it in, and or out. Let's them know you are in control.

The dash cam is a very useful accessory - that I don't have yet. The energy chart can occasionally be misleading, I have misread it on other occasions as it does tend to look like it spikes when sitting for a length of time as it is measuring by distance and not time. I was going to start a thread about the energy app as there are a few oddities (to me) about it that I'm sure others can explain. Anyway your example was clearly a good indicator.

Maybe you should use "Waldo" (footbag has a drone called Waldo) to surveil the next time.

All I can suggest ...

I found a mobile tire installer from Tire Rack .. bought a used extra wheel/tire and needed to swap tire and tpms sensor.

Was skeptical.. but Tesla wont do it because non OE tires and did not want to take it to a shop and the last tire change, the Tesla tech took a small chunk off my wheel.

Low and behold: I WILL NEVER SEE A SHOP AGAIN. Guy shows up with his trailer and all equipment.

Tire delivered to my house $215.
Tire removal, remount, road force balance ... $50

At my house, in my driveway, at my convenience with me looking over his shoulder.

Could not ask for a happier experience.

I'm fortunate to have a local tire shop that I trust and who lets me in the bay.

I just went there this week to get new wheels mounted. I drove the car into the bay and helped position the blocks on the jack points and made sure jack mode was enabled. They dismounted my tires, moved the TPMS sensors to the new wheels, mounted and balanced the tires. I was able to oversee the torque specs and tire pressure. All of this for $120. I was very pleased.

The shop is called Les Schwab and I highly recommend them. Most of the time I'm there my keys never leave my pocket.

I just drew up a quick jpeg for our screens:

http://thekohlers.com/valet.jpg

valet.jpg

It was pointed out to me by a colleague that watched the video that he drove by a photo radar truck. It was pointed the other direction (and with valet on, it was unlikely he was speeding), so of little consequence in this situation.
I like computers, I like drones/UAV, I'm not one who typically works on cars... so I can't always take the recommendation of some here and do the work myself... and it seems I have a knack for attracting less than professional mechanics... case in point, the following video (alas, bmw, not Tesla). At the time, I remembered being pretty upset that he drove over a traffic cone with my car... upon review, it isn't as big as I remembered it being, and he may have just pushed it, not ran it over, but still it was unacceptable...

For those of you thinking about getting a dash cam, go out and get it... small cost, large piece of mind, and very easy to 'install', even if you aren't the type that would install things yourself typically. While mine has captured issues with mechanics, and as well as stupid drivers, thankfully I've remained safe and sound, and it hasn't had to capture an accident or the like.

Last edited by a moderator: