Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took my Model s to a car show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put this in the Tesla thread because they should really consider having them at car shows.

Spent 4 hours just talking about the the car. It was insane the amount of interest.

Not even enough of a break to run and get a soda from across the street, cant believe people were that interested.

That has been the case at every show I've been to (maybe eight or ten so far). In some places Tesla can't attend due to laws, but even if that's not the case, an owner is a better person to promote Tesla at a show than Tesla is.

I had that happen in a parking lot when I'm loading groceries into the car. Weird.

I love the weird looks I get when I put groceries in my frunk at the store.

- - - Updated - - -

Put this in the Tesla thread because they should really consider having them at car shows.

Spent 4 hours just talking about the the car. It was insane the amount of interest.

Not even enough of a break to run and get a soda from across the street, cant believe people were that interested.

To your point though. Yes, you will get an insane amount of interest. For most people it's probably the first time they've seen or heard of a Tesla.

I bring a number of items with me when I go, including bottled water and sunscreen. I also, have a 18650 lithium ion battery, brochures, and pictures of the motor and battery pack. I know some members have also made signs to put next to their cars.

I've come back almost hoarse from some of the shows, but it is a lot of fun to help educate the public about Tesla.

Yeah, car shows are fun. I mounted an informational poster to a piece of cardboard and leave it propped up in the frunk, or on the windshield. I also bring my UMC and plug it into the charging port, both to make the point that the car is an EV and as a safety measure: it's the only way I know of to disable the car.

I go to My local Cars & Coffee nearly every week, have gone to other car shows,etc and have spent a fair amount of money for props and handouts. Schools also like to see and hear about my car. While I love doing this I must admit that I'm getting pretty frustrated with Tesla's apparent lack of interest in supporting these activities. I'd really like to see someone in Tesla Marketing engage and support those of us out here trying to spread the word and educate. For example many of us have created and paid for postcard size handouts, poster size displays, bought batteries for display, etc. I would love to see Tesla make model size skateboards that have transparent battery cases and outer shells that could snap on/off the skateboard for usage at schools and car shows. It would also be nice to have handout marketing material supplied or at least reimburse us for our expenses.

> Hmmm, maybe because your events are coffee and cars. Mine are beer, brats and cars. Different mindset. [montgom626]

This dichotomy might be a North/High Altitude -vs- a South point of view. Consider:

1. South considers Air Conditioning as a necessary component of (almost) everyday life. Mark this as a Win for Electricity over Flame, since most A/C is electric at home. North hardly thinks of A/C at all, save for heat waves in summer.

2. North is Flame-centric for more than half the year. Flame = heat = Life, whereas 'Electricity for heat', not so much.

3. North views ICE as natural extension of the Flame=Good imperative. Flame gets me to work every day. ICEs also create 'free cabin heat', thus more to love.

This is all deeply ingrained in sub psyche; Tesla will need Madison Avenue help in changing hearts/minds.
--

> Hmmm, maybe because your events are coffee and cars. Mine are beer, brats and cars. Different mindset. [montgom626]

This dichotomy might be a North/High Altitude -vs- a South point of view. Consider:

1. South considers Air Conditioning as a necessary component of (almost) everyday life. Mark this as a Win for Electricity over Flame, since most A/C is electric at home. North hardly thinks of A/C at all, save for heat waves in summer.

2. North is Flame-centric for more than half the year. Flame = heat = Life, whereas 'Electricity for heat', not so much.

3. North views ICE as natural extension of the Flame=Good imperative. Flame gets me to work every day. ICEs also create 'free cabin heat', thus more to love.

This is all deeply ingrained in sub psyche; Tesla will need Madison Avenue help in changing hearts/minds.
--

I'm not disagreeing with you but there are exceptions. In Washington and Oregon (definitely north), there is a broad, keen appreciation and acceptance of EVs. I don't even think it's a liberal vs conservative thing because some of the most conservative people I know think my MC Red P85 is the coolest thing ever.

Since I gave the Teslive speech and people found out I am getting one, I have been bombarded by just about every person I know in Charlotte asking me when they can get a ride. It was enough interest that I thought about renting a racetrack to give rides! I will be going to Charlotte Cars and Coffee once my baby arrives. I am counting down the days....
TeslaSmiley.jpg

Since I gave the Teslive speech and people found out I am getting one, I have been bombarded by just about every person I know in Charlotte asking me when they can get a ride. It was enough interest that I thought about renting a racetrack to give rides! I will be going to Charlotte Cars and Coffee once my baby arrives. I am counting down the days....
View attachment 28542

I've been giving tours/rides to my co-workers the past couple days. I have a signup list now as only I do one tour per day and interest is only growing...

I confess, I love it too. Any excuse to put my groceries in the frunk. But if you really want to show the MS off, there's nothing like a tailgate party :) I took my MS to a steeplechase in April and spent the entire afternoon showing it off. I realized I was powerless over the desire to talk about Tesla and that my life had become unmanageable when I decided that as soon as the last convert said "thanks, that's cool" I'd count to 5 and pop the frunk again, just to rearrange the food and see what passers-by would do a double-take. Can't wait for football season to start :)

I took mine to another car show yesterday, in Central Oregon - Redmond. Tons of questions... easily the busiest, most interest in my car, over all the rest... yet it is a show for classics. 200 cars there, and a lot of them are in amazing condition. Many of them six figure cars. I've come to expect that while the interest is there, people vote for the restoration projects, history, and other labors of love - vs. showing up with a new car.

Btw, the show directors liked the car so much, the moved me from back row to right up front. Easily the best position of the show. And as a result, my brother had to get me water, and a hot dog, but I still barely had time to eat between answering questions. Some did think I was a sales person, especially because of my knowledge... had to make sure to explain it was my personal car. :)

The sign is invaluable, btw... people really stop to read it, and you can just here so many go, "oh I didn't know that!" This crowd is really into fast cars, and so many of them were really blown away by the stats.

Edit: Brian, with the red 43 Willys dragster (in the background), won three awards; Mayor's choice, best paint job, and best muscle car... 1362 - BHP!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited: