Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took my MY off hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I see it if your always waiting for the newest tech because of what's coming then you'll always be waiting for a car.. If you want it, buy it and enjoy... There is always something newer with more stuff as tech evolves....It's an amazing car. I love mine and with the updates only gets better..The deletion of the USS is small IMO and the radar if they do bring it back will probably be retrofitted on existing cars(I can assume there is a unused pigtail from when they removed it originally, possible plug and play)I think a lot of them removing it was supply chain issues just like the USS. Just my .02
I hope you are right. That would only make Tesla a better company and Elon a better person to do that. We will see if that is the case.

How did you initiate a accelerated delivery after you took off hold?
Once you take the hold off, you will be given an EDD. It also said for faster delivery I could take delivery of an inventory vehicle. There was a blue button towards the bottom of the screen that said something like "select inventory vehicle". I just received a text from Tesla this morning saying my MY has arrived. Wow! Only took two days.

Fair question but nothing much I can do about it. One of those, we shall see what happens type of scenario. At the very least, you're probably looking at 1 year or so (Might even be too fast) for Tesla to figure out what they'll be doing with their fleet. We wanted the car now so it is what it is. However, for those can wait and have the patience to wait, that might be a better play if these open items are game breakers.
I had placed a hold as well, waiting for the tax credit, but with the new "referral credit" and some other circumstances, it made more sense to try and get it now. Removed the hold on 12/7. Got a VIN assigned on 12/8, and a scheduled delivery on 12/11.

Didn't do anything "special" besides remove the hold from the app, and then complete the financing terms and credit app via the app (for a lease). At first, it didn't show the $3,750 discount, but after about 30 minutes, it reflected that in the details of the final pricing / monthly payment.
That's pretty much exactly what happened with my order.

Reactions: bsmith922
Congrats, I maybe wrong my guess is as part of the year end delivery Tesla has add inventory of vehicles at a large number of delivery centers, that is the reason we are getting delivery dates quickly. Hopefully they are not rejects :)
How long do you get to place a “hold”? Is this the same as just rejecting a VIN?

I have an edd in 2 weeks but don’t want the car now (have a lease so had planned on the initial estimated delivery in 2023 when I ordered). Trying to “slow it down”. Currently a 7 seater but decided 5 is enough (though worried if I make the order change, this will actually “speed up” delivery).

Did it let you make edits to the car while you are on “hold”? Or just reject the VIN and then edit to the specs I want after the new year?

How long do you get to place a “hold”? Is this the same as just rejecting a VIN?

I have an edd in 2 weeks but don’t want the car now (have a lease so had planned on the initial estimated delivery in 2023 when I ordered). Trying to “slow it down”. Currently a 7 seater but decided 5 is enough (though worried if I make the order change, this will actually “speed up” delivery).

Did it let you make edits to the car while you are on “hold”? Or just reject the VIN and then edit to the specs I want after the new year?

When I wanted a hold, I reached out to my sales advisor. I had one for a test drive, and when we then placed an order online, she's be easily accessible via email the whole time. She originally let us place a hold until 1/1/2023, since our original EDD was Jan - April. From what I've seen on these forums, you "should" be able to put a hold to at least the beginning of your original EDD. If you don't have a sales advisor, though, I have no idea who you would reach out to.

I was allowed to place the order on hold up to the original delivery date. It's not the same as rejecting a VIN since a VIN is not issued at that point. I don't have experience with rejecting VINs so I can't help you out there.

I was allowed to place the order on hold up to the original delivery date. It's not the same as rejecting a VIN since a VIN is not issued at that point. I don't have experience with rejecting VINs so I can't help you out there.
actually this just happened to me. I had a vin assigned last week and decided to place my order on "hold". They released the vin and now my hold is off as of today. I went in to see the EDD and it says TBD. I called up the Showroom to ask and they said it something should appear in 2 days. Where are they getting this cars so quickly from for the one people that removed their off hold. Could they be in person rejects????

Here we go how EV tax works!

For example 1:
Total Tax Liability for a fiscal year: $30,000
Taxes withheld: $26,000 (Meaning you have already paid)
Tax credit applied at filing: -$7500 (Negative $7500)
New Net Total Tax Liability for A fiscal year: $30,000 - $7500 = $22500
Taxes due (or Refund) after applying tax credit: $26000 - $22500 = $3500 Tax Refund you will get
Note: It does not mean you are getting only 3500 for Tesla. You still getting 7500. Just that since you owe federal $4000 before you even buy Tesla. They are deducting that money.

For example 2:
Taxes withheld: $30,000 (Meaning you have already paid)
Taxes due (or Refund) after applying tax credit: $30,000 - $22500 = $7500 Tax Refund you will get
Note: You are receiving full 7500 because you have satisfied amount you owe for that year.

For example 3:
Taxes withheld: $35,000 (Meaning you have already paid)
Taxes due (or Refund) after applying tax credit: $35,000 - $22500 = $12500 Tax Refund you will get
Note: You are receiving 12500 because you overpaid taxes you really owe. So IRS is giving you that extra refund as well.

For example 4
Taxes withheld: $22,500 (Meaning you have already paid)
Taxes due (or Refund) after applying tax credit: $22,000 - $22500 = $0 Tax Refund you will get
Note: You are receiving 0 because you have already owe IRS 7500 before even you buy Tesla. So it break evens.

For example 5;
Taxes withheld: $25000 (Meaning you have already paid)
Taxes due (or Refund) after applying tax credit: $20,000 - $22500 = -$2500 (Negative $2500)
Note: Here you will have still pay IRS $2500 even after buying Tesla because you owe IRS $10,000 in total. So they deducted $7500 and asking for remaining $2500.

Hope this helps! Again I am not a Tax Expert and not giving any suggestions to anyone. You can always check with tax experts on above example and comment here if you feel above information is not accurate.

Reactions: frankvb and cdub
I think this “So they deducted $7500 and asking for remaining $2500.” is not correct. I think it will be $2500 Credit to me.

same disclaimer - not a tax expert/ not a tax advise..
I agree with you. This was a typo. Here is correct version.

For example 5;
Taxes withheld: $25000 (Meaning you have already paid)
Taxes due (or Refund) after applying tax credit: $25,000 - $22,500 = $2500 (Refund)
Note: Here you will have get $2500 refund from IRS

Back to the topic.. Once you remove the hold. What timeframes have people received when they get their vin? I removed my hold yesterday and no vin yet not that I am complaining, just curious by the time the vin is assigned, how much time is the delivery date, is it a week or 3 days after the vin is assigned? I want to make sure I am prepared in advance.

Reactions: cdub
The only case where you can't get the 7.5K tax credit (or whatever value it is) is if your income tax liability is lower than the credit.

So e.g. your tax liability is $5K, you'll end up paying no tax at all, however you lose out on the remaining $2.5K. That's what 'nonrefundable' means.

Reactions: Happy Hippo