Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took the 3 to the dragstrip to try it out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drag strips apply a tackifier to the first part of the track. It's like walking in an old theater with 50 years of spilled pop on the floor. Almost rips your shoes off! I bogged down in my Mini because I didn't get the normal wheel spin I got on pavement. Had to up the revs and dump the clutch to spin the wheels starting out. I bet there is no slip under any condition on a Model 3 on a drag strip. My Mini Cooper S spun both front tires at 80 mph power shifting into third.

Reactions: ebmcs03
The biggest surprise to me was the off the line performance. It's known that electric motors can make full power from zero rpms, but in this case, the car takes off nicely, but really starts to go after about 20 mph or so, kind of similar to turbo lag in a 4 cylinder turbocharged car. My guess is that the controller isn't programmed to dump full amps to the motor at zero or very low rpms, and only gives it full power at a higher speed.

I would agree. Was the same on my previous non-P MS, which came on only past 30mph or so.

Lots of discussion here and in other threads showing emperical and theoretical arguments about why this cannot be - but my actual experience was just like yours. The difference in the P models is the ability to dump the electrons immediately. In fact, my current P100D doesn't feel that different than the old S85 when flooring it if they were already doing 40mph or so.

I would agree. Was the same on my previous non-P MS, which came on only past 30mph or so.

Lots of discussion here and in other threads showing emperical and theoretical arguments about why this cannot be - but my actual experience was just like yours. The difference in the P models is the ability to dump the electrons immediately. In fact, my current P100D doesn't feel that different than the old S85 when flooring it if they were already doing 40mph or so.
There are four primary differences. The chronological first is launch mode: the ability to torque load the motor. The second is the higher initial torque settings, particularly with the larger rear motor. The third is the higher max power setting. The fourth is the BackEMF profile with the larger rear motor. Referring to these as an ability to “dump electrons” might lead some to think the battery is different, which is not.

Ludricious mode seems to be all about battery conditioning and it’s effect on the latter two.

Last edited:
Throttle has more than one meaning. Does a diesel have a throttle? No. Well, some emissions systems use them for DPF burnoff cycles, but normally no.

Throttle can mean to cut back. "I throttled back the schedule. It was too optimistic."

Accelerator is even incorrect for EVs since some also do regeneration which is decelerating.

But? When you say Gas Pedal, more % of folk will understand what you're talking about. I've honestly had new drivers ask what a throttle pedal is. Hit the gas is more universal.