Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took X home-Should I have refused delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoped for the best but when I picked up the car yesterday it was quite disappointing. I ended up taking the car home but I’m not sure if I made the right decision or if there’s something more I can do with people’s recommendation.

Lots of gaps and misalignment in the frunk, trunk, doors. Handles not even. Nicks/scratches in the paint, white marks and scratches on the plastic of the glove compartment, rear bumper and latch of trunk, gaps from the rubber in the windows on both sides, paint issue on the inside of one of the frames of where the falcon door touches, and what bothers me the most, a weird fold in the 3rd row where the cup holders are. There is also weird sewing on the seat, but I’m not sure at what level of quality is it acceptable. I wasn’t even sure about the gaps but when my husband compared it to the other car that was to be picked up, it was pretty obvious ours wasn’t made as well.

There seemed to be a lot of pressure for us to take the car home. They kept saying we can get it all fixed with the due bill and if we refuse delivery, they couldn’t give us a loaner car and because we hadn’t technically taken the car, it wouldn’t be serviced and could take months since other “customers” who already have their car is a priority.

We haven’t finished going through all the checklist but so far the inside and technology and driving seems ok. Our OA said we can text him all the pictures and he’ll get it taken care of.

Took the car home Friday at 7:45pm. Out of town all day Saturday. Do I have until end of Sunday to “return” the car? I thought I read something about having 48 hours to return the car.

If they “can’t” fix it (or. The wrinkles or sewing in the leather) or to our liking, what happens?

Any help or insight or opinions would be helpful. I didn’t upload all the pictures of the defects. There’s too many.

Sorry for any typos. I’m writing this on my phone.

Attachments

• 1D2C5E00-0D74-489B-B0B9-1C215FAC1E39.jpeg
    1D2C5E00-0D74-489B-B0B9-1C215FAC1E39.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 9E499E59-6674-4456-B60C-76CA64AD273F.jpeg
    9E499E59-6674-4456-B60C-76CA64AD273F.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 254
  • ACEADAB7-DB73-435D-BC67-92A2AFAACA14.jpeg
    ACEADAB7-DB73-435D-BC67-92A2AFAACA14.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 248
  • 386B5153-1D27-4A17-8732-3D309F426041.jpeg
    386B5153-1D27-4A17-8732-3D309F426041.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 242
  • DE889E79-EF50-4048-B77E-F0556BF2E2F9.jpeg
    DE889E79-EF50-4048-B77E-F0556BF2E2F9.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 2C70597C-6952-459F-A622-0DA55B21320A.jpeg
    2C70597C-6952-459F-A622-0DA55B21320A.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 239
  • 93843815-836A-4204-AC16-859A41698794.jpeg
    93843815-836A-4204-AC16-859A41698794.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 253
  • C219C66B-343D-405C-AFCF-1CE6537BAB68.jpeg
    C219C66B-343D-405C-AFCF-1CE6537BAB68.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 0B7D2B37-E1C5-4A37-BFA1-5E569A913021.jpeg
    0B7D2B37-E1C5-4A37-BFA1-5E569A913021.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 239
  • F5F23C75-07FD-48A4-A57C-91F4CBDBDCC7.jpeg
    F5F23C75-07FD-48A4-A57C-91F4CBDBDCC7.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 241
Refusing delivery means forfeiting your 2500 deposit. All of those issues seem fairly minor and should be addressable at the SC. I would not honestly return the car unless you also want to give up the Free SC, and potentially still have to deal with the same issues on the next car.

There was another MX that had horrible welds and fitting, which I totally understood why that owner refused delivery. This one honestly seems to be minor cosmetic issues. IMO, enjoy the MX and have the SC address your issues; they are very accommodating and I've never had any issues with them in my 3 years of owning an MS (and soon an X).

I just pick up MX at buena park SC. Im having 1 issue with a little gap in passenger window because of the gap, the door wont close properly . waiting for the service done at SC at this moment.
If you need a picture of those that you want to compare with it , I can provide some pictures of mine.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and JQS3
Everything there looks fixable ..folks have different standards of “perfection” depending on what car you came from (lexus ,mb) Tesla is not known for the best fit and finish....honestly on the seats I don’t think they can get stitching any better than that unless they put new seat in to your liking which probably won’t happen as mechanically nothing wrong with that seat ...

Reactions: Akikiki
...48 hours to return the car....

I think the e-mail implies home delivery. It doesn't say store pick-up:

7rzfa99wjtl11.png

My bar is not very high so I would take yours anytime. They are all cosmetics (doors/hood/trunk all can close, seats all secured...) and I wouldn't even care to fix them.

However, Service Center can fix chrome trims alignment, gaps very easily.

I don't know whether they can fix the wrinkles from the stitches.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I
My bar is not very high so I would take yours anytime. They are all cosmetics (doors/hood/trunk all can close, seats all secured...) and I wouldn't even care to fix them.

However, Service Center can fix chrome trims alignment, gaps very easily.

I don't know whether they can fix the wrinkles from the stitches.

Same. honestly i didn't see any problems.

• Love
I would be tempted to negotiate and see what they will throw in for you to keep it.
i.e. email "I am thinking of returning it but is there anything you can offer to make up for the hassle to deal with all these issues"
-perhaps free service or two or some more chargers?
-If they say no, then return it.

Fixable. Seats will probably just be replaced. Panel alignment can be done at the service center. You should be able to get a loaner during service. If they take too long there is always the lemon law out. Everyday driving this imperfect car or a Tesla loaner is worth the hassle of the repair time.

Biggest issue seems to be the fit of the falcon wing door. Should be just an adjustment or even be self fixing as the door seals compress a little.

Seats might be fixed with a heat gun, but more likely replaced or recovered.

Other issues might need addressing, but it was hard to see from the pictures.

Service centers have a pretty good reputation for setting these things right.

I would take it in and give them a shot at making you happy.

The car is really quite remarkable and worth giving them a chance to address each of your issues.

Reactions: P85_DA and maannam
Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better about taking the car home. I'm sure the SC will do their best to fix everything, so hoping for the best.

I would be tempted to negotiate and see what they will throw in for you to keep it.
i.e. email "I am thinking of returning it but is there anything you can offer to make up for the hassle to deal with all these issues"
-perhaps free service or two or some more chargers?
-If they say no, then return it.

I'm tempted to try this too, but I feel like their answer will be a simple "no" or "sorry we can't", especially since the car was already taken home, and the 2nd day is today. So I'm not sure if I could or want to really RETURN the car.

• Love
I'm sorry but I really don't see what the problem here is...??? What am I missing?

Jeff

I should have chosen my pictures more carefully, just chose the first several ones I had taken. Did a more thorough check of the car and everything is fine, just cosmetic issues, mainly alignment of the frunk, trunk, front fender, roof to doors, front doors to falcoln doors.

I also discovered a 2.5" scratch in the front that they probably hit something and found out and spot painted. It's scratchy and if you look closely you can tell you covered it up. The paint is not smooth and I'm not going to tell them to re-fix it because they obviously did, but I'll let them know and to record it in case something comes up later with an issue of the paint.

I'm sending this all in for the due bill and hopefully will be returned.

As for the stitching and bumps in the seats...I'm wondering if what we have is the norm in other X's...?? Is it smooth and perfect, or is this just "how it is" and "the best" they can do?

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01
I should have chosen my pictures more carefully, just chose the first several ones I had taken. Did a more thorough check of the car and everything is fine, just cosmetic issues, mainly alignment of the frunk, trunk, front fender, roof to doors, front doors to falcoln doors.

I also discovered a 2.5" scratch in the front that they probably hit something and found out and spot painted. It's scratchy and if you look closely you can tell you covered it up. The paint is not smooth and I'm not going to tell them to re-fix it because they obviously did, but I'll let them know and to record it in case something comes up later with an issue of the paint.

As for the stitching and bumps in the seats...I'm wondering if what we have is the norm in other X's...?? Is it smooth and perfect, or is this just "how it is" and "the best" they can do?

Fair enough, we have some small alignment issues with our frunk and rear hatch but other than that, things are pretty solid. I have to admit I didn't look at the stitching in any of the seats but nothing has jumped out at me thus far.

Jeff

The bumps in the seat go away mine looks like that after folding third row and leaving down for awhile ...sitting in the sun the seat shape comes back ..I never really paid attention to stiching so assume it’s same as Tesla makes seats in-house

My seats were very smooth. But as someone said, your bumps may disappear in a couple of days. Especially if it is warm.

I'd keep the car. After the dust settles from end of quarter deliveries, they will have time in Service to correct these issues and I am confident to your satisfaction. And because you are an owner, they will provide you a loaner while they fix it. If there's a paint scrap and it needs to go to a body shop, they will send it to a body shop for a couple of days, but you will still have the loaner. You can't beat that. Ever have another car in a body shop? Did the car manufacturer give you a loaner? Me: Yes, NO.

I am a car nut. I am careful with my Tesla. I have been driving a Tesla now for more than 5 years. I will never go back to anything other than an EV. I believe that after you have a week or two with your new X, you will be pleased you kept it. And I say again, they will fix everything.

Last edited:
After having the mother load of issues with my model x (I ended up getting a fresh one after 3! months trying to get the paint sorted)

At delivery they pushed also for taking the car also we had to drive voor 200 kilometers to get there so we did.

It seems that most of your issues can be fixed but getting the paint right is hard for tesla.

The advice I got from my lease company was that I should not have accepted the tesla. As it was not in acceptable condition.

But for now you already accepted the car make sure the service center fixes everything in one go otherwise it will take so much more of your time. if it takes weeks so be it ask for a loaner and make sure the deducable is not to extreme.