Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tool for comparing NEM vs TOU rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Model 3 over the weekend and one thing I had been curious about whether it would start making more sense to move from our existing NEM 1.0 plan with PG&E to TOU.

Currently, we have a ~10kW system and will at times pull power from the grid, mostly in July and August when it is the hottest here. Last month, we touched into tier 2 pricing, so if we had the Model 3 then, charging it would be at $0.27kW/h.

Does anyone know of any tools that can process the energy data exported from PG&E's website and report on what your costs would be in NEM vs TOU? They basically give you stats in 15 min intervals, where it seems could just calculate a the cost both ways and sum it up.

You can have both NEM and TOU. What rate plan are you currently on? I suspect you're talking about switching from E1 to one of the TOU rate plans.

PG&E's EV rate plan is generally advantageous if you plan to charge your car at home a lot because you get to charge at $.13. The other thing to remember is that with NEM when you have a TOU rate plan the credit you get depends on the rate in effect at the time you're generating. If your array generates a significant amount of energy from 4pm-9pm, that could be to your advantage too.

There is an iPhone app that will run the numbers for your usage and tell you which is better: ‎My PG&E Toolkit

Currently on E1. Is the NEM + TOU on EV-B? Two meters would be a fair cost. Our garage and main panel are on complete different ends of the house, so aside from the meter cost, would need to run it all the way under the house. Rafters wouldn't work since have vaulted ceilings in the middle.

Does EV-A work as dual billed? Reducing usage would be tricky, since wife and kids are often times home during the afternoon and whatnot.

Looks like the app is ~$8, but will maybe try the Lite version out and see, or look over reviews.

Looks like EV-A is all or nothing.

Either way, the energy tool worked well and looks like E1 is probably still the best bet for now. It did give me a final nudge to doing my Powerwall reservation, so finally did that. Then, EV-A will make the most sense.

Will track my charging usage over the next month or two, plus will be moving out our most expensive months.

I am looking for a PC or Android app to help.my daughter and son in law figure out how much they could save by going off a tiered rate to a TOU rate. They have solar but unfortunately that means PG&Es online rate comparator won't work.
You can use a spreadsheet, or use NREL's System Advisor Model (SAM) (PC app) to run sims on this. I do this to model my solar + TOU + NEM.

However, your situation sounds really custom so writing a custom app may be the most accurate. Next best really is to just create a few-hundred row spreadsheet to calculate your rates.

• Informative
Reactions: Ampster
EV-A off-peak starts at 11:00 PM (M-F). So even though you are on E1 now, set delayed charging as if you were on EV-A. In a few months, run the rate calculator tool again and see what it predicts.

I've been on NEM+E-6 TOU for the past couple years (after getting forced off of E-7 - which I'd had since the 1990s). After setting up our Volt to charge during the off-peak hours and letting it run for a year, the calculator only predicted about a $50/year savings with EV-A. I didn't bother changing it until the Model 3 showed up. Then I switched to EV-A almost immediately afterwards. Now with both cars charging after 11:00 PM, the savings is far more than $50/year.