Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toolbox use on Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used Toolbox on the Model S Plaid? I bought the subscription for it but can't find any information about how to physically connect it to the car. The 2 pin diagnostic connector in the center console looks different than previous Model S.

The diag. connector has changed to this 2 pin one. The part # on it is "h-mtd e6z060-c00". The connector is white in my car, but the shape is identical. I got the picture form another source. I'm guessing this is 2 wire ethernet (100Base-T1) , but I can't get it to connect to Toolbox 3 even with a media converter. I E-mailed Tesla for help since I paid a lot of money for Toolbox access, but they haven't responded. I'm starting to think this is a Model S Refresh thing and not just for Plaid. Can anyone confirm the same connector on one of the refresh Model S? It's located in back of the small trim below the main screen, above the wireless phone charger. Just use a wide plastic trim tool and pry down on the front.

1631944422245.png

Reactions: GazMav
Correct it’s changed as you kite and I believe there’s now a Tesla specific box required to communicate with the car on these refreshes
Thank you for confirming. Does anyone have a part # or information regarding this Tesla interface box? There is zero information regarding it on the Tesla service manual or Toolbox help documents. They sure didn't have a problem taking my 2G for a scan tool subscription though!

This is broad-reach gigabit ethernet over a H-MTD single connector. You'd need something like this: 100-1000BASE-T1 MediaConverter H-MTD Connector

And cable:

Haven't tested those, but they seem like they might work. Let me know if someone gives this a shot!

Reactions: El0ngated
This is broad-reach gigabit ethernet over a H-MTD single connector. You'd need something like this: 100-1000BASE-T1 MediaConverter H-MTD Connector

And cable:

Haven't tested those, but they seem like they might work. Let me know if someone gives this a shot!
That's funny you posted that, because I ordered the exact stuff yesterday. I'll receive it today and let everyone know if it works or not for connecting to Toolbox.

And cable:

I just tried this today. It works! It Gives full Toolbox access with Service Mode Plus. Model S Refresh is indeed 1000Base-T1.

And cable:

What is available for a user too do with this level of access?
View about 2000 data parameters. Activate Service Plus mode. Run a couple hundred different service routines.

Were you able to obtain CAN information from toolbox 3? I can see vitals, but it's not really that filled out. There's also the can viewer in service mode plus, but only the ETH bus was available for me.