Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toolbox use on Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is available for a user too do with this level of access?
The diag. connector has changed to this 2 pin one. The part # on it is "h-mtd e6z060-c00". The connector is white in my car, but the shape is identical. I got the picture form another source. I'm guessing this is 2 wire ethernet (100Base-T1) , but I can't get it to connect to Toolbox 3 even with a media converter. I E-mailed Tesla for help since I paid a lot of money for Toolbox access, but they haven't responded. I'm starting to think this is a Model S Refresh thing and not just for Plaid. Can anyone confirm the same connector on one of the refresh Model S? It's located in back of the small trim below the main screen, above the wireless phone charger. Just use a wide plastic trim tool and pry down on the front.

View attachment 710863
Did you successfully connect to Toolbox?

I have found a cheaper alternative that works correctly and can be purchased online:
100/1000BASE-T1 Media Converter H-MTD
2-meter H-MTD - H-MTD cable (you need to select the 2-meter variant)
I have bought both items. Tested OK.
Btw, they even have a US distributor:
Media converter
Connecting cable

Is there any way to check to see if a box will work before I pay for toolbox and then find out my box is bad or incompatible? Does the box show up in the network section of the Windows control panel?

Hello. I have bought this item. But it not working. How do you configured you dip switch?
Hello, the setting is a little bit tricky. First, you must enable the legacy mode to do this you should download this app https://www.machsystems.cz/support/1000BASE-T1 Pc App 20230321.zip.
In this app, you must connect to your media converter, and then in the section user switch select the legacy mode. Then click on write.
After that, you will be able to select the legacy mode with the last switch. The correct configuration is first switch off (auto-negotiation disabled), second off (slave mode), third on (speed 1000) and last on (legacy mode enabled). After that, you can connect the device to the car and the link LED should blink orange if everything is ok. Like in the image below.

Please tell me if this works.

app.png
device.jpg

Reactions: leecox
Hello, the setting is a little bit tricky. First, you must enable the legacy mode to do this you should download this app https://www.machsystems.cz/support/1000BASE-T1 Pc App 20230321.zip.
In this app, you must connect to your media converter, and then in the section user switch select the legacy mode. Then click on write.
After that, you will be able to select the legacy mode with the last switch. The correct configuration is first switch off (auto-negotiation disabled), second off (slave mode), third on (speed 1000) and last on (legacy mode enabled). After that, you can connect the device to the car and the link LED should blink orange if everything is ok. Like in the image below.

Please tell me if this works.

View attachment 987338 View attachment 987341
These instructions worked like a charm!

Hello. I have bought this item. But it not working. How do you configured you dip switch?
Here is a full article on how to connect a Tesla vehicle with 1000BASE-T1 port to the 100/1000BASE-T1 Media Converter:

I apologize for being computer inept but I am having trouble with step 2 of the article above (see below). I am using my son's laptop with trash Windows 11 on it and it will not recognize the machsystems media converter as a comm port... so I can't change the initialization setting... so it won't talk to the car. Any ideas on what to do?

Step 2: The media converter will be recognized as a Virtual COM port:

Uugh, I am SO frustrated trying to get this thing to work. I have tried every dozens of times and can't seem to get this MachSystems media converter to talk to the car. I continue to get "traffic to odin" locked and then it times out trying seceth unlock. I have followed all the steps setting up the box.,, and setting up the IP address & subnet mask. I have the Tesla proxy V0.0.24 downloaded and my security settings have been changed for toolbox. I am ready to throw this thing in the garbage and get the Technica one that Tesla recommends. I have tried unlocking the gateway on the car but nothing wakes the box up. The computer recognizes it as a ethernet connection... but I NEVER get any of the three lights to come on (T1 Link activity/T1 Master/CAN Activity. I have flashing light at the ethernet cord but nothing else on the box. Is it possible my media converter is faulty? I tried customer support and no help.
1707443178878.png

Uugh, I am SO frustrated trying to get this thing to work. I have tried every dozens of times and can't seem to get this MachSystems media converter to talk to the car. I continue to get "traffic to odin" locked and then it times out trying seceth unlock. I have followed all the steps setting up the box.,, and setting up the IP address & subnet mask. I have the Tesla proxy V0.0.24 downloaded and my security settings have been changed for toolbox. I am ready to throw this thing in the garbage and get the Technica one that Tesla recommends. I have tried unlocking the gateway on the car but nothing wakes the box up. The computer recognizes it as a ethernet connection... but I NEVER get any of the three lights to come on (T1 Link activity/T1 Master/CAN Activity. I have flashing light at the ethernet cord but nothing else on the box. Is it possible my media converter is faulty? I tried customer support and no help.
View attachment 1016733
Hello I will try to help you,

First, it is weird that the Media converter doesn't work with WIN 11. I try it and everything works well. There can be problems with WIN 8 and lower edition which can be solved with this driver https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32102.html.

Can you please send me the screenshot of 1000BASE-T1 Media Converter PC Application with your settings?

Also, you can try the T1 Cable Test. When there is no link and the result isn't Open Circuit and Distance to Fault isn't approx. same as your cable length. The problem is with your connection. Please send me the result of your cable test.