TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Top 10 Superchargers based on Tesla screen at Kettleman City and other locations

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by Tyl, Dec 19, 2017.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

I'll be there tomorrow and also likely Sunday. I'll grab both pictures on both days and post when I get back Sunday evening.

RT

• Helpful x 1
  2. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Um... we aren't talking about supercharger overcrowding or cars per pedestal. We are talking about what the display at the Kettleman City supercharger is showing us: the top 10 superchargers worldwide by kWh delivered.

And Graffi's picture above shows that earlier this year, 8 out of the top 10 superchargers were in California.

To have delivered the most kWh, there had to be a higher rate of utilization than at other supercharger locations. That implies more cars physically stopping at those locations and receiving a charge. Hence my wondering if there was a direct correlation between the actual number of cars in California relative to all other locations, or if the others are spread out further geographically such that fewer cars will be charging at any one particular supercharger. I would have expected to see at least one East Coast supercharger on the list, but it's possible those get crowded only at certain times of day whereas the ones on the West Coast have more constant utilization.

• Like x 2
  3. Klaus

Klaus Member

BB420B1F-7D78-4C46-8A41-6FD2C4EA30E4.jpeg 3A6D4F30-38A7-4A6C-BE01-1EE44511482F.jpeg Tuesday 7 Aug 2018 13:58 (didn’t see this thread until now)

Kettleman City

Tried to take a picture later at Hawthorne but was (politely) stopped by the security guard in the lounge, pointing to the “no pictures ...” sign by the door.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

LOL Burbank! Motto was "Build it and they will come!"

Going to start needing 25+ stall SpC sites now! :eek:

5. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

For Dublin to hold the number 1 spot, i would not have expected only 2 of 14 stalls filled in the middle of the day. Was that pic taken in the middle of the night?

6. thecloud

No, you can see there's a clock on the first screen that shows it's just before 2 PM.

Was also wondering about this, since I drive past the Dublin SC several times a year (it's right next to the 680 onramp) and always see a line. Is it possible that some stalls are filled but not charging and they are accumulating idle fees? Or is the turnover rate so high that lots of stalls are in a state where the previous car is in the process of moving out and the next car is waiting to move in? The simplest explanation is probably that something is amiss with the stall usage sensors, but the overall kWH is measured correctly.

• Like x 1
  7. wyldtek

wyldtek Member

Dublin *sometimes* has a lull around 10-11am and/or around 2pm during the week. Especially after Concord opened. Once I got there around 11am and was the only car charging. I walked up to Safeway and by the time I got back there was a line.

• Helpful x 1
  8. RubberToe

Taken on 8-10 at ~14:00 per the screen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  9. RubberToe

#29 RubberToe, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    And then 8-12 about 8am:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This delicacy can be had at the Casa De Fruita Chevron station. Wash this bad boy down with about 32oz of strong coffee and you will be GOOD TO GO !

[​IMG]

• Funny x 4
  10. RubberToe

Over the 42 hours there were 326,607 gallons of gas saved. That works out to 185 barrels (7,776 gallons) of gasoline per hour. Somewhat more barrels of oil since refining reduces the amount of end product.

RT

11. thecloud

I checked Dublin's status on the nav screen just now. This is its current utilization, which seems more typical (showing 1 stall available only because the next car in line hasn't plugged in yet):

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  12. cpa

cpa Active Member

With public facilities few and far between along 152, it might be prudent to do a full range charge at Casa De Fruita and then utilize them at the Chevron station before heading out down the highway after tossing that bad boy down with a quart of coffee chaser. :eek:

• Funny x 1
  13. WalterB

WalterB Member

IMG_20180814_220342.jpg
    unfortunately screen was stuck, when I visited yesterday evening. pic was taken around 10pm

• Informative x 1
  14. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

@WalterB , thanks. That picture does not help as much as the others, though I am stunned to see how many SCs have been installed south of the border. I really haven't been paying attention to that area.

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I like the fact that the display shows total Supercharger location numbers (in the circles) for North America, Europe, and East Asia. Maybe they will add a number for Australia at some point, as Tesla has made significant progress there in covering major travel routes.

16. Speight

Speight Member

I think it's time for them to change the map boundaries... six more superchargers are off the edge!
    Though they aren't the only one: World Maps Without New Zealand

17. Ervic

Ervic Member

This is from last Saturday (8/18).
    IMG_3320.JPG

• Like x 1
  18. thecloud

Also taken on Saturday (8/18), 10:45 AM PDT. Norway had 3 superchargers on the board:
    [​IMG]

@Ervic, was your picture taken earlier or later in the day? I'm wondering how the Eidsvoll Verk supercharger with 6921 kWh fell off the board entirely, while Lier South and Lier North increased slightly yet remained well below that number (and Hong Kong stayed exactly the same).

• Like x 1
  19. Ervic

Ervic Member

It was taken at 12:36PM. Strange that it would drop off in less than 2 hours.

20. johnbr

johnbr Member

I noticed something during a road trip in July to Monterey (whose lobby also has this display)

Having charged a few times at Monterey and looking at their monitor, Fountain Valley (always very busy, 16 stalls) was consistently on the top 10, yet both stops at Kettleman on the way up and back did not show Fountain Valley. Maybe it was time of day, and unfortunately I did not take pics, but I definitely remember thinking they weren't consistent as I'd expect, Fountain Valley stood out to me but other locations were also always on one but not the other.