Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top 10 Superchargers based on Tesla screen at Kettleman City and other locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed something during a road trip in July to Monterey (whose lobby also has this display)

Having charged a few times at Monterey and looking at their monitor, Fountain Valley (always very busy, 16 stalls) was consistently on the top 10, yet both stops at Kettleman on the way up and back did not show Fountain Valley. Maybe it was time of day, and unfortunately I did not take pics, but I definitely remember thinking they weren't consistent as I'd expect, Fountain Valley stood out to me but other locations were also always on one but not the other.
What time were you there? FV is typically fairly empty early AM or late PM, but very crowded the rest of the time.

Now available at the new Plano TX service center

71596111-FBBE-4E7E-8DC7-1AB3EFCE00C8.jpeg

@WalterB , your last image really seems to confirm that there's something broken with the Dublin sensors.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. It feels unlikely for Dublin to be completely empty at 7PM local time, any day of the week. However Dublin was showing "Reduced Service" on the in-car Nav display for much if not all of this past weekend, so that could be a factor.

Bruce.

Hawthorne may show up more in the next few days as 4 of their pedestals are coned off (out of service).
I think you are incorrect. The data displayed is based on usage, not crowd size or wait times. If several stalls are out of service, and the same number of people charge, the usage will be identical. If people leave to charge elsewhere, the usage meter will go down. Correct?

I think you are incorrect. The data displayed is based on usage, not crowd size or wait times. If several stalls are out of service, and the same number of people charge, the usage will be identical. If people leave to charge elsewhere, the usage meter will go down. Correct?

All of that is correct as far as I know, although if I read that last part a different way, it would seem likely that usage would have to be lower for the site (rather than identical) since max volume would be reduced by a third. This would assume saturation at peak times which unfortunately is more and more the case on the urban coast.

Last night, however, the 4 coned stalls showed as *in use* (red). Which is not normally what happens.

As well, it is entirely possible the site dropped off the top 10 list a few hours later or by sometime today. Another possibility is that the panel at Hawthorne was stuck (displaying old data);. this has happened before.

The usage on the maps is not by stalls occupied, but by energy usage, correct? If I am wrong, then the only it would appear as higher usage is if the empty stalls are registered as actually occupied, as they seem to do on our screens.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what application and/or software is used to create these Tesla dashboards? Something like Tableau perhaps or maybe it's a totally custom inhouse program? Would enjoy exploring a software package that could present and package data in this way?

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what application and/or software is used to create these Tesla dashboards? Something like Tableau perhaps or maybe it's a totally custom inhouse program? Would enjoy exploring a software package that could present and package data in this way?

They are definitely using the Adobe Air platform. Beyond that I don't know anything more in terms of frameworks, libraries, and so on that they may be using.

The usage on the maps is not by stalls occupied, but by energy usage, correct? If I am wrong, then the only it would appear as higher usage is if the empty stalls are registered as actually occupied, as they seem to do on our screens.
I can understand why Dublin is always full. When I am coming into town if I am low on charge and want to be able to drive around this Tesla town I will need some charge. Better stop in Dubin and get it (or Fremont if you are coming from Monterey or whatnot).

Coming from Sacramento there are just too many individual chargers for one to get maxed out like this. Someday the Livermore charger will break the logjam at Dublin.

-Randy

Those two in Lier, Norway are actually quite a bit busier than Dublin. They are only 8 stalls each, so 16 combined, which is just 2 more than Dublin. And together they are providing many more kWh than Dublin. San Diego is comparably crowded to Dublin as it has 2 fewer stalls. You see a lot more complaints about San Diego though. I think the reason is many of the cars are topping off to 100% and/or leaving their cars plugged in too long, thus the overall charge rate is not very efficient. The fact that the Dublin SC is at a service center probably prevents this from happening to some extent.