Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top 10 Superchargers based on Tesla screen at Kettleman City and other locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I have seen the Netherlands and Norway so prominently represented before.

Could it be the invasion of the Model 3s? :eek:
Some Norwegian sites have been making the list for a while. The Netherlands ones are new to the list. The top performer was built within the last 3 months.

I don't think many (any?) Model 3s have been delivered to Europe yet, so that isn't it.

I don't think many (any?) Model 3s have been delivered to Europe yet, so that isn't it.

They have started for sure. At least 145 cars in the Netherlands, only ~20 in Norway.

But thousands have arrived, and it is possible that Tesla is Supercharging them before delivery. (Though that seems unlikely since they installed 300 L2 EVSEs near the dock where they were offloaded from the ship for that purpose.)

Didn't recognize the coffee machine:

fullsizeoutput_2a5d-jpeg.376666

Which one is French Roast? It's like trying to figure out my wife's Nespresso.
I'm guessing they're not collecting those pods to recycle them, but it's Berkeley so maybe they're staying out of the trash?

Just dropped my car off at the week-old Berkeley CA Service Center and they have the same display as Kettleman. Didn't notice it at the other 3 service centers I have been to. Very exciting. Finally, Dublin is almost out of the top 10
View attachment 376665

Didn't recognize the coffee machine:

View attachment 376666
Which one is French Roast? It's like trying to figure out my wife's Nespresso.

-Randy

This display has more data than the other pictures, though - six data fields instead of four, adding in the co2 saved and the most interesting field, average session length.

Okay, I stand corrected!
There was one at the new Las Vegas sales and service center when I visited on several occasions. However, the screen was always frozen and the status had probably had not updated in months.
Seaside/Monterey has one in the lounge.
I don’t recall seeing that display when I charged there at the end of last December.
Dublin used to have this display in its waiting area also, but IIRC they stopped doing it awhile ago (a year or so back maybe?).

Bruce.

Wow, two of the other service centers I have visited had them and I didn't notice... Picked up my car tonight and here is your photo:

IMG_6516.JPG

I was thinking that the reason Dublin was low on the previous screen was that it was already the end of the day everywhere but here in California, so Dublin would catch up as the day progressed, but here is a photo from later in the day and Dublin isn't even listed...

It does say "Last 24 Hours" so perhaps they would be adding yesterday's kWh's to places that are only starting their day.

-Randy

Looking at the data from various screens (especially Dublin and San Diego before other area superchargers were built), it looks like the practical limit on a supercharger is usually between 600 and 700 kWh/day per stall. Here is a measure of how impacted each of these top 10 superchargers were today:

Badhoevedorp, Netherlands (32 stalls): 491 kWh/day/stall
Culver City, CA (16 stalls): 668 kWh/day/stall
Rygge, Norway (34 stalls): 285 kWh/day/stall
Daly City, CA (40 stalls): 232 kWh/day/stall
San Clemente, CA (21 stalls): 443 kWh/day/stall
Westminster, CA (24 stalls): 358 kWh/day/stall
Milpitas, CA (16 stalls): 507 kWh/day/stall
Eindhoven, Netherlands (24 stalls): 328 kWh/day/stall
Beijing - Central Place, China (8 stalls): 971 kWh/day/stall
San Mateo - Bridgepointe Parkway, CA (12 stalls): 642 kWh/day/stall

The Beijing site is obviously an outlier - it must be impacted every hour of the day.

Here is how impacted the top 10 were yesterday:

Badhoevedorp, Netherlands (32 stalls): 456 kWh/day/stall
San Clemente, CA (21 stalls): 538 kWh/day/stall
Breukelen, Netherlands (28 stalls): 377 kWh/day/stall
Culver City, CA (16 stalls): 657 kWh/day/stall
Rygge, Norway (34 stalls): 293 kWh/day/stall
Westminster, CA (24 stalls): 386 kWh/day/stall
Daly City, CA (40 stalls): 226 kWh/day/stall
Thousand Oaks - East Thousand Oaks Blvd (24 stalls): 358 kWh/day/stall
Dublin, CA (14 stalls): 591 kWh/day/stall
Nebbenes, Norway (30 stalls): 271 kWh/day/stall

and February 4th:
Santa Ana, CA (12 stalls): 662 kWh/day/stall
Dublin, CA (14 stalls): 540 kWh/day/stall
Mountain View, CA (12 stalls): 625 kWh/day/stall
Burbank - North Third Street, CA (20 stalls): 373 kWh/day/stall
San Diego, CA (12 stalls): 591 kWh/day/stall
Eindhoven, Netherlands (24 stalls): 290 kWh/day/stall
Rancho Cucamonga, CA (12 stalls): 563 kWh/day/stall
Leinstrand - Klett, Norway (10 stalls): 601 kWh/day/stall
Hopewell Centre, Hong Kong (10 stalls): 570 kWh/day/stall
Lier North, Norway (8 stalls): 700 kWh/day/stall

Hmmm... So at over 900 kWh/day/stall Beijing is delivering more than 40 kWh/h? Is that a thing? Let's see, if I remember anything from math class you cancel anything on the top and the bottom of an equation, so that's an average of 40+kW all day on every stall. I can see that. I usually charge in the 110-120 kW range for the first half of the battery and then I split as I hate waiting, leaving the charger open to others. If Beijing is not in a shopping center or place full of restaurants people might be waiting for their car to stop charging and hit the road when they can. Makes sense. Guess you couldn't do too much battery based demand shaving with that much demand.

-Randy

Last edited:
Hmmm... So at over 900 kWh/day/stall Beijing is delivering more than 40 kWh/h? Is that a thing? Let's see, if I remember anything from math class you cancel anything on the top and the bottom of an equation, so that's an average of 40+kW all day on every stall. I can see that. I usually charge in the 110-120 kW range for the first half of the battery and then I split as I hate waiting, leaving the charger open to others. If Beijing is not in a shopping center or place full of restaurants people might be waiting for their car to stop charging and hit the road when they can. Makes sense. Guess you couldn't do too much demand shaving with that much demand.

-Randy

The ideal limit for current generation Superchargers is 72 kW per stall max delivery (except for the rare site that doesn't have two stalls per cabinet.)

So 40 is plausible, but it requires the site to be active for most of the 24 hour period and likely completely full for at least half.

Hmmm... So at over 900 kWh/day/stall Beijing is delivering more than 40 kWh/h? Is that a thing? Let's see, if I remember anything from math class you cancel anything on the top and the bottom of an equation, so that's an average of 40+kW all day on every stall. I can see that. I usually charge in the 110-120 kW range for the first half of the battery and then I split as I hate waiting, leaving the charger open to others. If Beijing is not in a shopping center or place full of restaurants people might be waiting for their car to stop charging and hit the road when they can. Makes sense. Guess you couldn't do too much battery based demand shaving with that much demand.

-Randy
Without being on the ground to witness what is going on, my best guess is that a usage percentage that high could only be achieved by "professional" superchargers working the wee hours. Either taxi/uber drivers or some locals who have developed a cottage industry of supercharging Teslas for others. Or it could be Tesla employees themselves preparing cars for delivery.

Ah... Yes... Love the cottage industries that grow up around big corporations. Back before China was a release day country for the iPhone there was a lovely cottage industry that caused full families to come out and wait in line on release day. Each person could get 2 phones, so grandma gets 2, Billy gets 2, Sally 2, mom and dad two each, and the baby gets 2. Then straight to the FedEx facility to ship them all to the grey market in China. "Next!"

-Randy

I know, "Billy and Sally", I am being racist